Need suggestions around Southhampton

We are cruising on Grand Princess on 8/21 out of Southhampton. We're flying into Heathrow 2 days before the cruise (Sunday). We are trying to decide what to see/do around Southhampton since we've already seen London (got to see more than we planned when we got stuck in London over 9/11 for an extra 5 days).

We are looking at Salisbury, Southhampton, Winchester, Isle of Wright, etc. We won't have a car. In fact we need to get from Heathrow to wherever we decide to go on Sunday morning.

Any suggestions are appreciated. (fyi - my first post ever - please forgive my newbie status!)

If you're not wanting to "do" London, you'd be best advised to book accomodation for your 2 nights in Southampton, at a central hotel near both the docks and the railway station.

From Southampton there is a very frequent train service to Winchester (c.15mins), where a day there will be very rewarding. Also from Southampton a less frequent train service to Salisbury (c.< 45mins) for your other day.

If time is pressing on your second day a train ride (on the Salisbury route) to Romsey (c.15 mins) instead, where there is a little less to see, but is a delightful little Hampshire town with a beautiful abbey would make a pleasant half day.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
First, where are our manners? :) Welcome to CC, DM Pro!

Second, when are you coming back to London for the other 4 weeks that you'd need to see the place properly? ;)

But as for the Southampton area, it's also very easy to get to Portsmouth by train. There are some interesting things to see there, including HMS Victory (Nelson's ship).

Here's a link to a previous thread about Southampton with lots of replies. Don't be misled by the initial focus on accommodation - as you'll see from the title, it moves on to answer your question as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=137150

Also, take a look at the Southampton, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and Isle of Wight websites etc.

http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/

http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

http://www.islandbreaks.co.uk/

DM PRO:

Welcome. You'll find a lot of info here on Cruisecritic. I've gotten some great advice here esp from our friends "across the pond." So much so that I've planned add'l days post cruise to spend in New Forest area!

I'm on the same cruise. Go over to the Roll Calls Thread for Princess Cruises. You'll see a thread for the 8/21 cruise. Pop in and introduce yourself....there are about 40 of us chatting about what to do and see on this cruise. 88, 89 days?

Martha

Hi DM Pro: I'll add my welcome to Martha's (Finely Retired) above. We are also on the 8/21 cruise.

We are stopping in Winchester on our way from Southampton to Heathrow. Just a word of caution since you will be in Southampton on Sunday (prior to the cruise). The Winchester Cathedral is only open certain times on Sunday because of services and no tours are available on Sunday. We have made arrangements to get in the cathedral around 8:45 to 9:30 (that is the Sunday that the cruise ends). The Great Hall (where King Arthur's Round Table is located) opens at 10:00am. To get more information on Winchester: http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk.

Here is the information I received regarding Winchester Cathedral:

"Thank you for your enquiry about visiting Winchester Cathedral on Sunday

2nd September

The Cathedral will be open at 8.00am for a said service of Holy

Communion which will be held in the Quire at the east end and should

last about 40 minutes. As that service finishes there will be time for

the four of you to come into the Cathedral and have a look around.

Preparations for the Morning service at 10.00am will begin at about

9.30am so I suggest you come in about 9am or a little earlier if you can

make it and it should give you sufficient time to have a look around.

As you enter the Cathedral by the main west door there is a small table

with coloured brochures that have an illustrated plan of the Cathedral

with key things to look for such as Jane Austen's grave. Please help

yourself to a couple of these as you come in. There is no charge for

coming into the Cathedral on a Sunday but if you wish to make a donation

there is a donations box at the west end as you leave.

The Visitors Centre opposite the west front of the Cathedral will be

open at 9.30am - there is a gift shop and a coffee shop and a very

pleasant terrace overlooking the Cathedral where you can sit with

refreshments."

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend you visit a gem of a small city called Chichester it is less than a hour from Southampton by train.

It has a medieval cathedral, market cross wonderful Georgian architecture and Roman city walls as well as great restaurants and shops. It is compact and the railway station is right by city centre.

You heard about it first here!

DM Pro, I thank you as well for starting this thread. DH and I will be in Southampton next Nov before our WB TA back to Ft Lauderdale and I'm picking up some really good ideas to add to our itinerary - hope you have a wonderful cruise....

Joyce

Thank you all for your suggestions and links to explore a little more of the country which is a different experience from London (which we loved!) (My apologies for not responding earlier -- cruise planning is done during 'spare' time.)

We're not yet retired. That means we're lucky if get away to do two vacations a year -- so I want to see as many different things as I can during our couple of vacations.

Archived