Kaanapali Beach

Marie-Claude

So many things to do... so much planning... what would we do with you CCers!!!

Here is my question:

We are spending 2 days in Lahaina in October arriving at 10am day 1. We're planning on going over to Kaanapali Beach upon arrival using the shuttle from Lahaina, spend a bit of time there then head back to ship to clean up before Old Lahaina Luau.

Is the beach a public beach or do we have to find a hotel that will sell day pass?

Where the best spot to stop?

I read that there's good snorkeling at the Black Rock (?) near the Sheraton, can we easily get there or is is private part of beach for the Hotel??

Thanks for any tips to make that outing easier!!

MC

All beaches in Hawaii are public, it's finding the beach access for some of them that can be problematic. ;) But, no problem with Kaanapali. Lots of access. You can access the beach in front of the Sheraton at Black Rock without a problem. The shuttle from Lahaina stops at the Sheraton, and you can walk thru to the pool area and beach (but put your stuff on the beach, don't use one of the lounge chairs at the Sheraton). Although the snorkeling here is good, I prefer walking just past the Sheraton to the other side of Black Rock. Much less crowded, more fish and better water clarity, as the sand is not as churned up. There's a driveway b/t the Sheraton and the golf course to walk along.

All beaches in Hawaii are public. I believe there are public parking and public rest rooms to change in at/around the Sheraton. The beach is one of the best. Hope that helps

So many things to do... so much planning... what would we do with you CCers!!!

Here is my question:

We are spending 2 days in Lahaina in October arriving at 10am day 1. We're planning on going over to Kaanapali Beach upon arrival using the shuttle from Lahaina, spend a bit of time there then head back to ship to clean up before Old Lahaina Luau.

Is the beach a public beach or do we have to find a hotel that will sell day pass?

Where the best spot to stop?

I read that there's good snorkeling at the Black Rock (?) near the Sheraton, can we easily get there or is is private part of beach for the Hotel??

Thanks for any tips to make that outing easier!!

MC

Shopping, Restaurants, Food Court, Showers, Rentals, access the beach through any of the Resorts, Black Rock and the Sheraton are on the bottom of the picture.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=kaanapali&new=1&source=chromeheader

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/beaches/KaanapaliBeach.htm

kaanapali_beach1.jpg

Thanks everyone for this very useful information!

We'll try to go on the other side of Black rock to check it out.

One more question:

From the pictures in the links provided by RSWBADGER, I didn't really see any umbrellas - can we rent them or clamshells, or are there enough spots in the shade? Any specific area on Kaanapali beach that could provide share and sun?

Thanks!!

MC

Thanks everyone for this very useful information!

We'll try to go on the other side of Black rock to check it out.

One more question:

From the pictures in the links provided by RSWBADGER, I didn't really see any umbrellas - can we rent them or clamshells, or are there enough spots in the shade? Any specific area on Kaanapali beach that could provide share and sun?

Thanks!!

MC

In front of the Sheraton and Westin there are umbrella and cabana rentals.

In front of the Sheraton and Westin there are umbrella and cabana rentals.

Are the Sheraton and Westin renting to non-guests on a regular basis now? They haven't in the past. I know that some of the resorts will rent to non-guests during slow times.

I know the Trilogy kiosk, which rents to the public all the time, has umbrellas and chairs, but I don't think they have cabanas or the like.

beachchick

Are the Sheraton and Westin renting to non-guests on a regular basis now? They haven't in the past. I know that some of the resorts will rent to non-guests during slow times.

I know the Trilogy kiosk, which rents to the public all the time, has umbrellas and chairs, but I don't think they have cabanas or the like.

beachchick

We stayed at the Westin a couple of years ago and rented a Cabana, never remember a sign saying the rentals were for guests of the hotel only. This is on the public beach area.

Here's a link to there web-site listing rates for Cabana Rentals, it does not say for guests only.

* Beach Chairs are rented for $10 each

* Beach Cabanas (covered, sits two persons) are rented for $40/day

* Umbrellas are rented for $15/day

http://www.sheraton-maui.com/act_beachinfosm.htm

RSWBADGER: I'm not convinced that the Sheraton rents to non-guests (unless it's not busy). I know that part of the rationale for many of the resorts is that guests have already paid to have these items available for rent. In fact, in the past the Sheraton has specifically stated (when asked or by phone) that rentals are for guests only. I think, based on how the webpage is laid out, that perhaps they figured they didn't need to say all these things are for guests only because it's on the Sheraton website which is directed at potential guests. For example, it doesn't say the pools are for guests only, but they are or that the pool/beach towels available are for guests only, but they are. Members have reported that the NCL excursion, which includes a chair and umbrella at the Sheraton, ended up with the ship excursion people not in the best areas because that was reserved by the resort staff for resort guests. As well, members have reported that they were not able to have the chairs, etc. that belong to the Sheraton unless they were part of the ship's excursion. However, if they've changed their policy and do rent to non-guests on a regular basis, I'd love to hear some first-hand experience. That would be very helpful information.

As you were guests at the Westin, it's possible that the rentals were for guests only, but they didn't feel the need to have a sign saying so. It would also be good to know if they rent to non-guests.

Last December, during one of the non-holiday weeks, we asked a few resorts and at least half of them said they would rent to non-guests when there was availability. So, it's certainly possible at least some of the time.

Marie-Claude: I'm trying to picture it in my mind--You'd think after all these times that I'd know. I think the Trilogy kiosk is down near the Sheraton. I know for sure that it's somewhere in the area between the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel and the Sheraton. There may even be a second one on the southern section of the beach. It wouldn't hurt in the least to ask at the resort kiosks either. Some of them absolutely do rent to non-guests, at least some of the time. What's the worst that could happen? They'd say, "Sorry, not today." And don't be embarrassed to ask either! You could definitely ask at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel because they were one of the places that said they would rent to non-guests last December. I'm wondering if it would be useful to call the resort or resorts near where you plan to spend time and ask the concierge(s) directly. They'd probably be more "in the know" than others.

beachchick

Hey Marie-Claude

We are on the same trip as you, we have talked on the Role Call. We are doing the Trilogy snorkel trip from Kaanapali Beach on day 2 there in Maui. They are located at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel. Unfortunately I don't know where that is related to the Sheraton, but maybe the name of the hotel well help jog Beachchick's memory.;)

We are doing the Trilogy snorkel trip from Kaanapali Beach on day 2 there in Maui.

Hi Innocent one ;)!!

Is that a snorkeling trip to Molokini?? My brother would like to do this... and I didn't think we could do it from close to Lahaina... let me know what it is!!

Thanks

MC

RSWBADGER

Those are some great pictures. It really makes me wish that I was in Hawaii already, but I have to wait 3 more months!

Thanks to you and your pictures, I will now be able to look at a beautiful Hawaii rainbow every day. I have downloaded it from your pictures as my screen saver. Mahalo, Kat

Hey Marie

They have 2, a full day one that departs at like 6:45am that leaves out of Lahaina harbor and goes to Molokini and Lanai and a half day one that only goes certain days (Thursdays) and goes right from Kaanapali beach to Lanai with a couple of snorkel stops. Here is the website where you can get more info. http://www.sailtrilogy.com/

RSWBADGER: I'm not convinced that the Sheraton rents to non-guests (unless it's not busy). I know that part of the rationale for many of the resorts is that guests have already paid to have these items available for rent. In fact, in the past the Sheraton has specifically stated (when asked or by phone) that rentals are for guests only.

beachchick

We're considering staying in a condo (specifically the Maui Kai) and are wondering if there are any hotels/outfits nearby that rent beach chairs with umbrellas or cabanas if you are not staying at the resort. TIA.

huladolz

San Ramon, Ca.

Forum posts: 440

(5112519)

More about huladolz...

Posted on: 9:41 pm, October 26, 2006 Save

The Sheraton, check their site or call for info, someone posted some info on it awhile back.

Grizzy123

Minneapolis

Forum posts: 17

(5113075)

More about Grizzy123...

Posted on: 11:35 pm, October 26, 2006 Save

Appreciate your response! I will phone the Sheraton and see what they have. Mahalo.

ijia

California

Forum posts: 205

(5113510)

[/url]

More about ijia...

Posted on: 2:00 am, October 27, 2006 Save

we rented a cabana at the sheraton (we wer not guests) and they were very accomodating. $35 for the whole day, we got their early, about 9:00 i think. it was so nice to have for the whole day as it was towards the end of the trip and our skin was starting to get a little sun-beaten.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k848072-Kaanapali_Beach_Chair_Cabana_Rental-Maui_Hawaii.html

I've never been - yet - but the Sheraton told me i could call 2 weeks before I would be there and reserve a cabana. I told them i was not a guest and would be off a cruise ship. They said i could use everything but the pool. I've since changed my plans and am now staying overnight at the Royal Lahaina Resort so i don't have to drive back to the ship and park overnight - so i don't have the number of the beach rentals desk anymore. Its worth a shot to call and try to reserve it.

Archived