Musings from the Mariner

egret

egret,

thanks for your updates. It sounds like you've had a good time and you definitely saw more wildlife than we did, but we got the good weather. I think I'd take the wildlife since that's what you go to Alaska for.

I know you said you won't post again this trip....but I'm wondering what your comment about going back to the PG for your next trip is about. Do you like the PG better than Mariner? Or just the warmer weather? I'm curious as I've never been on PG and have been considering it.

Michael

Well, I am siting in the departure lounge in Anchorage Airport waiting for the red eye to Houston. We had a walkabout in the city since we had no day room at the Hilton, just a hospitality room. Another contrast to the PG, day room(suite) at the Raddison Papeete with pool and beach.

Disembarcation was painless after a sit down breakfast at Compass Rose, the requirement to put the bags out in the corridor at 11PM was adifferent but no big deal. The seas were rough from Hubbard to Seward, the wife needed Phenergan. The boys and I were OK. Captain said there were 15 foot seas. I didn't believe him until we ate dinner. The waves were above the windows on Compass Rose. Dinner was great again at the Compass Rose last night and we loved the crew show before dinner, not professional but real. The show entertainers finished their run with us so their is a new bunch for those getting on today.

My comment about the PG, Alaska is stunning and wildlife abounds, we saw moose and doll sheep on the bus to Anchorage, but I guess I am a tropics kind of guy. I don't think I would like to experience the dreary weather on vacation more than once.

Several folks we met said the Mariner had improved since they were on last, which is consistent with other postings here.

Did you use Regent's transfers? Did the bus take you directly to the Hilton, or did you have to go to the airport first? We'll be on the Mariner next week, and our transfers for Seward-Anchorage say that they're from Ship to Airport. We'd rather walk around Anchorage and have dinner before our flight. Thanks for the info!

Back to reality, spagetti last night for dinner. One course meals, what a bummer!

We did the Regent transfer from the Mariner in Seward to Anchorage. Since our flight was after 5 PM they brought us to the Anchorage Hilton by motorcoach. We knocked around town until our shuttle to the airport at 6PM for our 8:50 red eye to Houston. We had vouchers for the Hilton Restaurants waiting for us at the Hospitality room at the Hilton and they had pre-reserved us spots on the 6PM shuttle. We ate the Glacier Alehouse I guess we just wanted to get out of the hotel. My wife decided she wanted some crab legs before we left Alaska, no.1 son and I tasted their amber ale. Food and drinks were OK. I should have reviewed our air situation before we left on the cruise. We were spread all over the plane, lesson learned.

The folks next to me on the plane were from Mandeville, La so we had a pleasant conversation. they had been on the Carnival Ship the previous week and showed me pictures of them at Mt McKinley with blue skies and sunshine just to make me feel better I guess.

Over all, a diverting week of travel. The Mariner was nice, not quite the same as the PG. Food was comparable but not quite as good as I remember from the PG. I give the nod for entertainment to the PG for Les Gaugines, Siglo and O Tahiti( I think that is the group that performs the last night)

I hadn't mentioned that there were some children aboard the cruise. A couple of babies we never heard or saw. Maybe about 10 or so between 4 and 15 which were fairly unobtrusive so I don't see a problem here( this was a subject of some posts previously).

I would also recommend coming prepared for rough seas on this itinerary. Strangely, we always came prepared on the PG but didn't this time for the Mariner.

Archived