Musings from the Mariner

egret

Well, I am a PG addict so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

We spent 2 hours in Canadian Imigration, 30 minutes waiting for the bus, 35 minutes on the trip to the cruise terminal, then we had to clear security and US immigration. We got our luggage about 5:30.

The weather has been great. But we had to carry our plates from the buffets to our tables. The service has been great but not like the PG.

Menu at the Compass Rose is limited compared to the main dining room on the PG. But, son #2 and I asked for Beef Wellington after our entree and no problem. We also had Creme Brulee off the menu for desert. So some things are the same.

More tomorrow later.

I believe from previous posts that you are now on your way to Alaska. I look forward to hearing from you. Your experiences at Vancouver must have left you feeling low but presumably they cannot be laid at Regent's door?

First day, embarkation day, is always a bit fraught as far as service is concerned. Which is a pity as Regent first-timers often make their minds up about the ship from first impressions. I hope things improve and you have a wonderful trip.

Yeh, the double immigration check must be a drag. How long did the US clearance take?

(Being Canadian would suddenly be an advantage in this case, only one clearance would be required.)

I commiserate about the PG, I am also an addict. Perhaps we need a 12-step program? Nobody to carry your plate from the buffet! Say it can't be true!!

Orpington, always fraught? In most cases our embarkations have been wonderfully smooth, but then we always try to go the day before. The longest wait we've had to embark was in Florida, of all places, where we had to sit in a lounge for about an hour before they could begin boarding. But then Navigator had just come from a soft refit, so they were working on the ship up until the last minute.

Orpington, always fraught? In most cases our embarkations have been wonderfully smooth, but then we always try to go the day before. The longest wait we've had to embark was in Florida, of all places, where we had to sit in a lounge for about an hour before they could begin boarding. But then Navigator had just come from a soft refit, so they were working on the ship up until the last minute.

Yes. I should choose my words more carefully. I meant that things are fraught for the staff, having to disembark many or most of the passengers, clean everything and then receive a new bunch with the smiles and attention we have come to expect.

My embarkations have gone smoothly also.

Always the contrarian: I prefer to carry my own plate from the buffet, thank you very much, and it puts my knickers in a twist when they insist on taking it; the implication being that I'm either too incompetent or too unsteady to navigate to my table without dropping it.

Which is not to imply that the OP is either...merely that what's a fault to some may be a bonus to others. Wish we were there.

Dr. Hemlock, I find the "buffet plate carrier" an annoyance too. I just may spot something I missed as I pass by the cheese area and there my plate is sitting on the table. When we were on the Mariner (AUK/LAX) last year, gratefully, the buffet was sans "plate carriers".

I like to carry my own plate too.

The double immigration thing is a hassle; however, I always fly in a day early before a cruise because I make my own flight arrangements and am just too paranoid about flight delays and possibly missing embarkation.

Having dealt with the ordeal of Vancouver; it is unavoidable and incredibly inefficient. Not Regent's fault...and no way for it to get around it.

As for things like carrying one's plate, this is like the concept of signing for things being a bother. There is no right answer. I would, however, suggest that it being offered is quite nice (and appropriate) and is offered on other upscale lines...ranging from Celebrity to Seabourn. It's absence is worthy of note IMO.

If you don't want the assist (for whatever reason) all that is necessary is a "No thank you." That takes care of both preferences; eliminating it only addresses one.

If you don't want the assist (for whatever reason) all that is necessary is a "No thank you."

Not necessarily. Sometimes the wait staff are quite firm and insist on helping. It is often difficult to persuade them that no help is required.

Not necessarily. Sometimes the wait staff are quite firm and insist on helping. It is often difficult to persuade them that no help is required.

That is a training issue; which is another whole topic. (There has been enough discussion of some of the unevenness...and I hope the most recent comments about better service becomes the norm.)

In other words, if the steak is overcooked, don't stop serving steak...teach the chef to prepare it properly.

I agree. I actually prefer to carry my own plate as well, but I like being asked, and usually acquiesce since they seem to like to do it. But I've never had anybody insist if I say "no".

I think the verdict is in...someone tell those waiters to stop grabbing our plates!

I hate the plate carrying. I find it a little invasive myself!

If I want help, I'll ask for it.

But I am originally from NYC, so if someone is trying to take my plate...it is likely they are trying to steal it! (joke, of course...most NY'ers are pretty darn nice!)

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate on the merits of plate carrying. Today at breakfast my faith in Regent was reaffrimed, the Maitre'd Restaurant carried DH's plate back to the table at breakfast. Captain's welcome on board reception last night was different. The cruise director introduced the capitain and the senior officers, but no receiving line. The captian did walk around talking to passengers. It was nice. Dinner at the Compass Rose was good. I had lobster then a second entree, beef wellington. We ordered creme brulee, it wasn't on the menu but it is available 24 hrs a day for room service so, voila'.

Today we did the sportfishing excursion. We got skunked. One fish for two boats, but the captain was nice and we saw a whale, lots of bald eagles and some sea lions. Cold and rainy all day.

We ate at Signatures tonight. I thought everything was good except the creme brulee. It wasn't really set, mine is better.

My 19 year old is doing room service between meals and is enjoying the trip. I think he is a Regent addict in the making.

DH wanted me to mention that the tables in Compass Rose are smaller so we haven't dined with any other guests, like we did on the PG. I think that hurts the opportunity to meet others.

Tomorrow Juneau.

, the Maitre'd Restaurant carried DH's plate back to the table at breakfast.

If the Maitre D' is Leilani Abaca (as she was on our trip 2 weeks ago-she is also Maitre D' in Latitudes) would you give her best wishes from the person she used to say had "sexy legs" and she said she couldn't do her job properly when I was wearing my shorts. My wife also sends her best wishes.

Also, if you speak to Louise Ross, would you tell her that Tom & Barbara Noon from London are still negotiating to get on Mariner's Osaka to Hong Kong segment after the Alaskan season is over.

Juneau should be great, as will the rest of your cruise, I am sure.

We did the Tracy Arm excusion yesterday, however Tracy Arm is too clogged with ice so we diverted to Endicott Arm. Scenery was spectacular however it was cold and wet. Later in the afternoon we did the Mendenhall Glacier and evening whale watch. Saw several whales including a mother and calf duo. Also saw a bunch of bald eagles and several Stellar sea lions.

Today we did the scenic railroad and walked around Scagway a little. Tomorrow is Sitka. We decided to do the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest.

Sorry to take this off-topic, but I need to know....what is DH? I always see that in posts, including this one, and I have been going crazy trying to figure out what a DH is.

Thanks =)

Michael

I always assume it means "Dear Husband"

Am I wrong?

In my case DH is Dear Heart, my wife Sharon.

The WIFI on the ship limits the ability to post to a site so I have had to go to the computer room for these postings. I would have liked to have done it from the room or the observation lounge but alas that didn't work. I was also unable to send pictures from my laptop. To little band width my expert son tells me.

We did the train in Skagway and the Otter Wildlife quest in Sitka. Most of the wildwife viewing trip were very similar, by Allen Marine. Saw otters, a whale, several bald eagles and harbor seals.

This will be my last post as we get kicked off tomorrow morning. The food has been great. We preferred the Compass Rose since the youngest one can double up on entrees and the the older boy can order steak. I liked Latitudes and Signatures too. Service has been uniformly excellent, as expected.

Entertainment has been OK but as everyone notices, this cruise is about the natural beauty of Alaska. This morning we went into the Hubbard Glacier which my wife felt was the highlight of the trip.

My young son has worked room service hard and has done his best to eliminate the beef tip provisions. I suspect he is a Regent convert. I guess he had better become a doctor as is his aspiration.

The weather has been chilly and wet most of the time this week, I think this is the norm rather than the exception. It is a temperate rain forest.

It has been a good trip for our family, however I think it is back to the PG for the next trip.

Archived