Internet On Jewel

We're going on Jewel in a few weeks time.

Can I ask anyone who's sailed on her recently what the internet connections are like ?

I plan to bring my laptop, so Wireless may be an option.

We're going on Jewel in a few weeks time.

Can I ask anyone who's sailed on her recently what the internet connections are like ?

I plan to bring my laptop, so Wireless may be an option.

On the Jewel you have three options.

1. Their terminals

2. Use your laptop with wireless at hotspots throughout the ship (same rate as the ships terminals

3. CyberCabin - Inroom Internet at a flat rate. It´s a dial up connection and you need a modem to use it. It´s a limited amount available onboard and on a first come first served basis. Cost is app.$ 100-120. I assume you will be on a 12-night cruise.

Connections are slow on all options, wireless might be slightly faster than CyberCabin, but then it´s charged by the minute at rates between 0.50 to 0.33 depending on the rate plan you buy while CyberCabin is a flat rate and you can be online 24/7

My wife and I were on the Jewel in May 2006 for a 12-night Scandinavia and Russia cruise and had internet service every day except while in St. Petersburg, Russia. The speed was very acceptable considering being on a ship. The key is to be a fast reader and typist to avoid lengthy delays and charges.

Have fun.

On the VOS - they have stopped handing out the cyberkits telling customers that the service is no longer working......

We were on Voyager two years ago and gave back the Cyberkits which were absolutely useless even then

My wife and I were on the Jewel in May 2006 for a 12-night Scandinavia and Russia cruise and had internet service every day except while in St. Petersburg, Russia. The speed was very acceptable considering being on a ship. The key is to be a fast reader and typist to avoid lengthy delays and charges.

Have fun.

We're going on the same cruise on June 30. I'll have to get my typing speed up between now and then.

Thanks for all the tips

We're going on the same cruise on June 30. I'll have to get my typing speed up between now and then.

Thanks for all the tips

No need to type fast! Do this:

1. Go online and download your emails.

2. Go offline and write all of your responses -- take your time, drink a cocktail (or two), hold a deck chair with your flip flops and a magazine (just kidding), order room service, go to dinner, see the show, whatever.

3. Go back online and hit 'send'.

That's it! :D

on a Transatlantic cruise was less than satisfactory. First of all, there are only 7 computers available on Deck 4 near the elevators, out in the open, near the noisy atrium. Tried to get online (AOL) several times after we left Ft. Lauderdale, no luck with AOL, tho others with other servers seemed to do okay. Then a few days out, we lost the satellite signal and I never did get online until we neared Ireland 8 days later. I bought a package of minutes, think it was 50 or 60, for 35 cents a minute. On other cruise ships, there have been whole rooms dedicated to computer use, with anywhere from 20 to 40 computers available for passengers. I was very surprised that the Jewel placed such a low priority on passenger computer usage. Just one of several reasons while RCCL will not be our next choice for cruising. This was our first RCCL cruise in 15 cruises, and I can name several other lines that have impressed me more. Just a personal preference. The ship is beautiful, staff and food wonderful for the most part, but Customer Relations, poor management of ships' tours and tendering, noisy art auctions daily in center of atrium, no aft staircase or elevators, etc. will have us going back to Celebrity, Princess, or QM2. How did I get on this rant when all you wanted was internet advice? Sorry about that!

on a Transatlantic cruise was less than satisfactory. First of all, there are only 7 computers available on Deck 4 near the elevators, out in the open, near the noisy atrium. Tried to get online (AOL) several times after we left Ft. Lauderdale, no luck with AOL, tho others with other servers seemed to do okay. Then a few days out, we lost the satellite signal and I never did get online until we neared Ireland 8 days later. I bought a package of minutes, think it was 50 or 60, for 35 cents a minute. On other cruise ships, there have been whole rooms dedicated to computer use, with anywhere from 20 to 40 computers available for passengers. I was very surprised that the Jewel placed such a low priority on passenger computer usage. Just one of several reasons while RCCL will not be our next choice for cruising. This was our first RCCL cruise in 15 cruises, and I can name several other lines that have impressed me more. Just a personal preference. The ship is beautiful, staff and food wonderful for the most part, but Customer Relations, poor management of ships' tours and tendering, noisy art auctions daily in center of atrium, no aft staircase or elevators, etc. will have us going back to Celebrity, Princess, or QM2. How did I get on this rant when all you wanted was internet advice? Sorry about that!

You didn´t get around on the ship too much right?

On Jewel there are several places with Computers to use for Internet usage.

1. The already mentioned "Royal Caribbean online"

2. The LatteTudes Cafe on deck 5 which has at least 6 more Computers to use (could be even more)

3. The business center on deck 7 with again I think 5 or 6 computers

4. Concierge Lounge (this is of course of limited access, so you might have not been able to locate those) on deck 10 with two more

To my experience this is a reasonable amount of Computers for guests use and I like the fact they are being spread out through the ship a bit to make them even more accessible. I rarely to never saw any of those areas with all terminals in use at a time. Don´t forget that many people in these days take their own laptop and they have online service besides using the ships terminals either through WIFI or dial up in their cabins.

In addition it always seems to be AOL users having problems. I don´t know why this is the case, but whenever I hear people asking for help about the internet onboard it´s a vast majority of AOL users.

Archived