Carnival trivia contests?

mueller74us

I LOVE TRIVIA....I am decent at it but I don't want to embarass myself if possible! For those who have taken part in these contests....are we talking Jeopardy caliber questions... harder...easier?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Don't worry about it...it's all in fun, and they don't embarass anyone.:) I'm a trivia buff, too. Wouldn't miss Jeopardy! for anything. It's perpetually taped on my VCR. (I've won three Ships-on-a-Stick for playing trivia games on ships.) And no, the ship trivia is MUCH easier than Jeop.

There are trivia games that are played with a host asking questions and anyone that wants to play fills in the answers on a piece of paper they give you. These are usually held in a lounge or bar area. No one knows what your score is unless you win, so you can't be embarrassed.

There are other games, like Game Show Mania where you put your name in a hat and hope to get picked to go on stage. The questions aren't overly difficult. I have done this twice and had a ball.

Do NOT worry about being embarrassed. Nobody knows you and you'll never see these people again. Besides, there is always someone else doing something more embarrassing than you are. Relax and have fun.

Don't worry about it...it's all in fun, and they don't embarass anyone.:) I'm a trivia buff, too. Wouldn't miss Jeopardy! for anything. It's perpetually taped on my VCR. (I've won three Ships-on-a-Stick for playing trivia games on ships.) And no, the ship trivia is MUCH easier than Jeop.

I am right there with ya...I TIVO everyday!!

I kept wanting to ask you how things are in Gulfport? I grew up in Baton Rouge and have made probably 100's of trips to the beach in Gulfport but haven't been in years. Are things coming back togther since the hurricane?

Jennifer

A lot of times, you play as a team. if you don't have a team, the host will sit you with some others. This is a great way to make new friends. The answers you don't know, they usually do. It is fun!

I LOVE TRIVIA....I am decent at it but I don't want to embarass myself if possible! For those who have taken part in these contests....are we talking Jeopardy caliber questions... harder...easier?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Hints:

If a rooster lays an egg on a roof, which way will the egg roll?

A plane crashes on the American/Canadian border. Where do they bury the survivors?

Hints:

A plane crashes on the American/Canadian border. Where do they bury the survivors?

How many bricks does it take to complete a brick building?

I kept wanting to ask you how things are in Gulfport? I grew up in Baton Rouge and have made probably 100's of trips to the beach in Gulfport but haven't been in years. Are things coming back togther since the hurricane?

Jennifer

Thx for asking, Jen. Things are very slowly getting back to livable...not normal. My house on the beach was leveled. We all have high hopes and lots of prayers going up that Katrina will never have a twin.

Hints:

Down...you don't bury survivors

Jennifer

one...the last one

I just tried this on DH and oldest son - they kinda stared, then just said "oh" when I gave them the answer;) .

DH and I love the trivia contests - no embarassment involved at all, no one needs to know how you did. The social host asks the questions and you write the answers down on a slip. At the end, the host asks the participants to give the answers (and gives the correct answer if everyone got it wrong) - usually we've been on the honor system and checked our own slips. The person or team with the most correct answers gets the ship-on-a-stick.

I thought I was the only one who recorded jeopardy on DVR. And I record EVERY episode, not just the new ones on ABC but the repeats on game show network.

I love trivia. When I was little my mother used to get me trivia books all the time. And I still remember stuff like Richie Petrie's middle name--ROSEBUD. And that stood for:

Robert

Oscard

Samuel

Edward

B (I don't remember)

Ulyesses

David

But the last carnival cruise Iwas on had some questions that blew everyone's mind. Unless you had a computer right there, you weren't answering the question. $2000 jeopardy questions were simpler than some of the ones they had on carnival. That was actually the first time I hated playing.

But one day, I'm gonna win. And I'm not gonna cheat either.:)

On our Victory cruise, the same group came to each trivia and won every one. After they won the last trivia we participated in, they said they already had 4 ships on a stick and wanted something else. It would be nice if the hosts could limit one ship on a stick per group to spread the wealth. JMHO. :)

I have won only one ship on a stick so far. My kids have won a few My Daughter was 7 at the time she got one for counting the Bingo Balls. She was the first one in our family to get one.

When I was on the Holiday for the fourth time in three months, me and my wife went to trivia. The social host looked at us and just shook her head. She told everyone that because of the Thomas's she was having to pick different questions than normal. After about the fifth question, someone said they were too hard. Mel said, "I told you to blame the Thomas's".

Another time at Battle of the Sexes, the new asst CD and Mel were hosting the event. She kept trying to tell Jack that we knew all the answers. So they made it a game of trying to find a question we did not know. It was done in a manner so that the other passengers were not put off by it.

The same thing with the comedian. I passed him in the hall and told him we would see him later at his late night show. He said "why, it is the same show" and went off down the hall laughing. That night at his show, we became the center of his show. Asking things like what did we do for a living that we could cruise so much. What was suppose to be a 20 minutes ended up being 40 minutes. I could see Mel looking down from the balcony above to make sure we were not being offended by everything. We ended up staying after the show for an hour talking to the comedian.

Dave

There pretty easy and super fun :) The only way to embarass yourself is when they have people yell out the answers at the end. DH had a few too many dod's and thought one of the answers was *****, and he SCREAMED it so loud everyone on Lido heard him! I think the answer was supposed to be something like southwest airlines :)

They play different times, different days. They have 70's trivia, 80's trivia, general knowledge trivia, movie trivia, tv themes trivia....you get the idea. Sometimes it can get hard, on our last cruise, they went as far as asking which popular cartoon charachter won an academy award in 1947 for best short subject (cartoons)? Answer:The first short to team Tweety and the cat, later named Sylvester was 1947's Tweetie Pie which won the award for best short subject.

Ok, so yes, they would accept Tweety for an answer, but I wasn't here in 1947, so that made it hard, not to mention that I never knew tweety started out as a short and I'm guessing they mean short story. All I could do was guess because :eek: I would never cheat:rolleyes:

Here's one for ya.........it's not trivia, but it does make ya think:

3 traveling salesmen stop at a motel and decide to share a room. The manager was away from the desk, so the bellboy checked them in, He charged them $30.00 for the room. Each salesman gave him $10.00. When the manager returned, he told the bellboy the room was only $25.00. The manager gave the bellboy 5- one-dollar bills, and told him to return it to the salesmen. On the way to the room the bellboy thought there's 3 salesmen, and it won't come out even, so he put $2.00 in his pocket and gave each salesman $1.00 back, which means they each paid $9.00 for the room.

Now, if 3X9=27, and the bellboy kept 2, what happened to the other dollar?

Archived