Lahaina to rent a car or not?

Majesty Fan

I am debating on whether to rent a car or not here. We will have from 7am until 11pm the next day in Lahaina and I know it is a tender port. Is it worth getting a rental car? I hear parking is a problem at night and near Kanapalli. Road to Hana looks nice but don't want to get up at 6am to beat the traffic. We would like to take it easy.

Lexi

Parking overnite is really not all that bad, albeit expensive. There are several public parking lots including one directly across Front St from the pier. The book Maui Revealed shows the parking lots available in Lahaina.. We've found that if you park around 4-5 pm there are plenty of spaces. Kaanapali Beach is easily accessible by shuttle if you just want to spend your day there and Lahaina with all it's shops can also occupy your day, but if you want to get out and explore, a rental car is probably the best option. While most posters suggest getting an early start if you're going to Lahaina, we've never had a problem leaving after 10 am.

I meant to ask what ship are you on, that sounds like the same hours we will be there on 11/20 and 11/21 on Mercury.

I am also debating on renting a car because we will be in Maui for the exact same hours on December 29th and 30th on the Celebrity Summit. After reading your post, I've decided to go ahead and rent one, to enjoy total freedom. We will do lots of exploring, daughter wants to see and swim in falls. We definitely are doing the Old Lahaina Luau one of the two nights. Any input on which would be better? The first night, or the second when our ship leaves around 11pm. Not sure how the car return affects this decision. I really dont think it matters, but again..I'm wondering if I'm forgetting anything. (The luau finishes around 8:30 so plenty of time to get back)

BTW-Dan-I'm originally from the Lancaster, PA area. Hello to a fellow "dutchman".:)

We are also on the same cruise as Lexi and also want to rent a car. Can anyone recommend the best rental car agency as being the easiest to get the car from???

Also, we are going to the Old Lahaina Luau and figured we could drive the car to it and back to the ship, and keep the car overnight.

We are going to have the car from the am we arrive in Maui until around 6pm the next night. We are going to do a sunset horseback ride and hopefully drop it off at the airport by 7pm and make it to diner by 830pm.

Lexi

Lexi...could you e-mail me directly with the info on which cars you booked, and if they are close to the piers....As I told you, we are snorklers and want to do the beach tours via car, so maybe we can do a caravan to some of the spots. It would save me a lot of work if I could copy your info....

Just use my sign on name...cac104 then add the @ plus aol dot com and you will have it...I"ll look forward to hearing from you and maybe we can follow your lead.

carol

We are going to have the car from the am we arrive in Maui until around 6pm the next night. We are going to do a sunset horseback ride and hopefully drop it off at the airport by 7pm and make it to diner by 830pm.

Lexi

Because I'm a bit of a worrier, please confirm for me that you have rented from the West Maui airport (designator JHM) car rental location and not the Kahului (designator OGG) main airport location. It's almost an hour's drive from Lahaina to Kahului and none of the rental companies will shuttle that distance as it's cost-prohibitive in terms of personnel, time, and fuel; plus it would waste a fair amount of your day too. The West Maui airport (also called Kapalua airport) locations mostly send shuttles to the tender pier in Lahaina. It's about a 10 minute ride up the coast to the rental locations. Also, most of them stop running shuttles to the pier at about 4 pm, so you'll probably need to arrange for a taxi to get you back to Lahaina.

Please put this gal's mind at ease. And have a wonderful trip.

beachchick

Parking overnite is really not all that bad, albeit expensive. There are several public parking lots including one directly across Front St from the pier. The book Maui Revealed shows the parking lots available in Lahaina.. We've found that if you park around 4-5 pm there are plenty of spaces. Kaanapali Beach is easily accessible by shuttle if you just want to spend your day there and Lahaina with all it's shops can also occupy your day, but if you want to get out and explore, a rental car is probably the best option. While most posters suggest getting an early start if you're going to Lahaina, we've never had a problem leaving after 10 am.

I meant to ask what ship are you on, that sounds like the same hours we will be there on 11/20 and 11/21 on Mercury.

Hello Dan & June, many of our group for the Oct 11, 2008 Sailing out of San Diego, on the Radiance, also plan on going to the Old Lahaina Luau and are concerned about the car rental and parking. Do you know whom we can contact to ask about overnight parking near the pier you talked about.

( Radiance of the Seas Roll Car Oct 11 2008) If we are able to leave out car after the Luau without having to call a Cab would be great.

Ok I learned fron National Car Rental that there is a parking lot near the Wharf for $13/day. Not sure of the walking distance, an Aerial Map shows fairly close by. For those renting recommended reserving as soon as you know your dates. Pick up is at the Wharf by shuttles to take you to get your car at airport. Down side, depending on time of day Hwy can be congested. They will pass out maps etc when you pick up car showing where lot is. My guess you probably see it when you get to Front Street

PH: 1-800-227-7368

1-808-661-7181 Lahaina

We are going to get with our group and try and Car pool for Oct 2008 Cruise on the Radiance, so everyone isn't renting.

Gay GWoodman ( Radiance Roll Call Oct 11, 2008 Hawaii RT San Diego _

Great information. Thank you so much:)

Wonton your welcome, even though our Cruise to Hawaii is still 15 months off we are getting our Meet & Mingle moving now and I think I have spent every day on the Web searching out things. Everyone enjoy their Cruise. I should clarify so some are not confused the National Car Rental is for Lahaina.

Gay

Archived