I am Atlantic Canadian

As the Canadian cruising season gets in gear, I thought I'd lend a hand for those of you with questions I might be able to answer. I live in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and work in Charlottetown. I have lived in Halifax and visit Saint John NB frequently as my sister lives there.

I haven't had a chance to look through this branch to see where I can be of assitance but will do when I have more time. In the meantime, if anyone has a question specific to the Maritime Provinces, fire away and I see if I can help.

Well, I've never taken a whale watching tour so I can't say how they are. I suspect the chances of seeing a whale would increase during migration in Spring and Fall. So July could be iffy but I don't know. I think it would help if you took a tour with the attitude of simply enjoying the experience of being out on the ocean and seeing what there is to see and then if you get to see a whale or two then it's a major bonus. No doubt you get to see some wildlife, no doubt lots of seals and birds.

The area gets a lot of fog too so like anything else in nature, you pay your money, you take your chances. I have taken a Halifax harbour cruise on a sailboat, that was most enjoyable but then again any time I can be on a boat I'm having a great time.

• 1 month later...

Hi Colleen, Do you know of any options for a guide for PEI other than Gray Line? There are four of us and we'd like a van & a great guide. I got a quote & description from Gray Line and I can tell from their wording & their pricing that they must be the company the cruise line uses - which is fine, I guess, except I'm thinking that all their best guides will probably be with the ship excursions. I like to support small businesses too. Any suggestions you can make would be helpful. We're looking forward to seeing PEI and as an Anne addict (the only one of the four of us though DH did watch the programs with me years ago) I think I'm the most excited! Thanks!

Hi Trece, If you're an Anne addict then you're coming to the right place, you can get your fill of everything Anne.

Prince Edward Tours is the locally owned company which is the authorized tour provider for Gray Line here. So even if you took the Gray Line tour, you'd still be supporting local business.

However, there are a few other companies listed here http://www.gov.pe.ca/visitorsguide/search/search.php3?thetype=tour&indexonly=yes&PHPSESSID=7007f2d2359945ec18b79e1636a9d016

Many years ago, I worked for Abegweit Tours. A couple of women I know work for the company now and I was just speaking with them last month and they mentioned that they usually meet people coming off the cruise ships to see if they are interested in taking one of their tours rather then the cruise line excursion. If you're looking for a more private experience then I would contact them first to see what they have to offer.

When are you planning on being here and how long are you in port?

Many thanks, Colleen, for the great information! :D Curious, though, in attempting to follow your suggestion to contact Abegweit first - they don't have e-mail?? I've been all over their website with no luck as to an e-mail address. Also, if they're not available, do you have a second recommendation?

We'll be there in September - port hours 8 - 5.

Thank you again - you've been a huge help!

Oops, sorry, didn't notice that. I've emailed my friends in the business and hopefully they will have some more information. Will let you know when I hear from them.

Hi Colleen,

We'll be visiting Halifax, Saint John, Sydney and Charlottetown in late September(9/22-9/25 are the dates for these towns). What's the weather like at that time of year. My sister and I are trying to figure out what type of clothing to take. Layers is what we will be trying to do. Just not sure how cold or warm it might be and how heavy the last layer should be. I know weather is unpredictable but any insight you can give will be appreciated.

Hi Colleen,

We'll be visiting Halifax, Saint John, Sydney and Charlottetown in late September(9/22-9/25 are the dates for these towns). What's the weather like at that time of year. My sister and I are trying to figure out what type of clothing to take. Layers is what we will be trying to do. Just not sure how cold or warm it might be and how heavy the last layer should be. I know weather is unpredictable but any insight you can give will be appreciated.

Well, it is so hard to say with any certainty what the weather is going to be like, nothing seems to be very consistant with global warming. I mean here we are into July and it hasn't been warm enough (for me anyway) to go for a swim at the beach.

The last couple of years I've found the summer has been later starting but lasting a bit longer into September. I would say your heaviest layer could safely be a fleece. Late September, temps may be between 60 - 70 during the day and 50 - 60 at night. Don't have to worry about snow, well I hope not anyway.

Many thanks, Colleen, for the great information! :D Curious, though, in attempting to follow your suggestion to contact Abegweit first - they don't have e-mail?? I've been all over their website with no luck as to an e-mail address. Also, if they're not available, do you have a second recommendation?

We'll be there in September - port hours 8 - 5.

Thank you again - you've been a huge help!

Trece, I haven't heard back from my friend at Abegweit tours but I did from another friend and she said you might try Capture the Spirit tours www.capturepei.com. Astrid is actually the mother of a friend of mine, although I've never met her, she's been doing tours for a many years and I'm told she's lots of fun and gives the personal touch.

Archived