1st Time in Belize What Should I Not Miss?

TanIslandGirl

I just got back from the Western Caribbean Glory - and I took Carnival's Altun Ha/River Wallace excursion and loved it.

Altun Ha is absolutely gorgeous -

2379149740101395114S425x425Q85.jpg

We went straight to it in the morning, and I think we were actually were out before it was TOO hot. There are two structures you can climb - the first one, most people only went about halfway up. This picture is from the second one, in plaza B, looking into plaza A. Our guide was extremely proud of her country and really informative. Plus, she gave us all plenty of time to climb these structures if we wanted - and time to snap all the pictures we wanted. We stopped at a nice little resort area for about 45 minutes after this, where you had the option of grabbing some food or drink.

Then we hit the Rio Wallace in an open boat, and while we didn't see more than a couple monkeys, a few crocodiles, some bats, a bird or two, an iguana, and the noses of manitees, it was still lovely scenery. The breeze from the boat, moving along at a good clip was great - just what was needed.

Rio Wallace -

2041777670101395114S425x425Q85.jpg

I have ALL my pictures on my webshots - http://community.webshots.com/user/tanaka_reina

The albums for Altun Ha and Rio Wallace make up about 150-160 pictures alone. Contrary to what I'd heard about Belize, I found it to be beautiful - but I'm sure that's attributed to the tour I took, since we didn't spend much time in the city itself.

If you're bored by history, the tour would probably bore you. I'm not the world's most enthusiastic history student - but I've always been fascinated by the Mayan culture, so the tour was great for me. Scenery-wise, I think I enjoyed it more than Chacchoben in Costa Maya - though I think Ivan might have been a better guide for information. That's a whole 'nother story, though.

Basically.... if you're even remotely interested in the ruins, this tour was a LOT of fun. It's really nice to combine the ruins with the ability to see some of these animals - even if I kind of wish we'd seen more than what we did! :D

Archived