Island Beer Olympics

jennbill

Give us your favorite Caribbean beers (gold, silver and bronze). Here are mine:

GOLD: Polar (Isla Margarita, Venezuela). Far and away the champ. Exotic (like the women), refreshing and something you don't see everyday in the U.S.

SILVER: Carib (Various). Kinda like the Caribbean Bud. Reliable, cheap and darned tasty (as long as it hasn't gone skunky).

BRONZE: Kabuli (Dominica). Think Jamaican bobsled team. You wouldn't think it would be as good as it is.

OTHER CONTENDERS THAT ARE AWESOME:

Banks (Barbados). Could have easily medaled.

Red Stripe (Jamaica). Tastes great whether in Ocho Rios or on my couch.

Belikan (Belize). Ice cold after a hot, humid day, it's sooo refreshing.

Kalik (Bahamas). Often overlooked contender.

Blackbeard Ale (St. Thomas). Sorta like Caribbean Shiner Bock.

Belikan was pretty good I am looking fwd to trying redstrip on draft in this september if i can. Think I will check out the sting ray brewing comp on GC and see what they got going on. no option on the last stop just XX. I do want to travel more to try more beer.

Give us your favorite Caribbean beers (gold, silver and bronze). Here are mine:

GOLD: Polar (Isla Margarita, Venezuela). Far and away the champ. Exotic (like the women), refreshing and something you don't see everyday in the U.S....

it's so unusual to me to see a post about margarita. that short puddle jump from caracas is one of the most memorable vacations DH and i ever took. not too many people from the states venture that way. least not that i have seen. we really liked it there.

polar is a great beer. i really enjoyed it. had plenty of it (had to, sittin' on the equator and all):D

thanks for your tips on the others. i will be sure to try them, as i now know that you have good taste in both vacations and beer.;) :D :p

Isla Margarita is one of our three favorite ports. It truly feels like you are in a foreign country unlike many other ports. We have found the residents to be very friendly. The food to be really good and the beer to be ice cold and tasty.

Our first time there was on the Dawn Princess. Isla Margarita was a replacement port because Caracas had endured tremendous flooding and loss of life just prior to our cruise. When we docked, there were no organized shore excursions just buses lined up to take us into Porlamar. Jennifer and I jumped right on while her mom, dad, aunt and uncle declined to leave the ship. We had a blast. Ended up eating at a restaurant called "Cheers". Jenn had this incredible Venezuelan style beef stroganoff with pickles of all things. I ordered the grilled seafood and it still is the most amazing meal I've ever had. A platter mounded high with grilled shrimp, calamari and scallops served simply with lime wedges. It was sooo good.

The dock area now is really cool with all the local vendors and the neat little beach area. The Venezuelan rum available in the liquor store is awesome. I wanna go back!!!

Isla Margarita is one of our three favorite ports. It truly feels like you are in a foreign country unlike many other ports. We have found the residents to be very friendly. The food to be really good and the beer to be ice cold and tasty.

Our first time there was on the Dawn Princess. Isla Margarita was a replacement port because Caracas had endured tremendous flooding and loss of life just prior to our cruise. When we docked, there were no organized shore excursions just buses lined up to take us into Porlamar. Jennifer and I jumped right on while her mom, dad, aunt and uncle declined to leave the ship. We had a blast. Ended up eating at a restaurant called "Cheers". Jenn had this incredible Venezuelan style beef stroganoff with pickles of all things. I ordered the grilled seafood and it still is the most amazing meal I've ever had. A platter mounded high with grilled shrimp, calamari and scallops served simply with lime wedges. It was sooo good.

The dock area now is really cool with all the local vendors and the neat little beach area. The Venezuelan rum available in the liquor store is awesome. I wanna go back!!!

you cruised? what line goes to margarita???? i'll have to look into that. we did a land vacation: flight from JFK into caracas; puddle jump to margaita; 7 days at an RCI gold crown resort w/ 9 pools and plenty of polar. bought our bolivars on the street.:eek:

I was just on the Mircale 3 weeks ago and I had a few El Presidente, they are like 2 dollars a piece can't go wrong there. I had a BlackBeard in St Thomas too, pretty good stuff I think.Its good to try differnt beers that we don't have in the US. I was in Tortula and had a warm azz Presiedente now that was nasty....... :)

First time was on Dawn Princess in '00. Second time was on Golden Princess from San Juan in '04. We specifically chose the Golden because it went to Isla Margarita and Grenada. We ended up losing Grenada as a port because of Hurricane Ivan and went to Dominica instead. We lost St. Kitts during the cruise because of an impending tropical storm so we got Barbados instead (we love Barbados so all was not bad).

Don't know if Princess still sails to Isla Margarita or not. Will have to do a little checking. It's a great port of call.

Can't wait to try Piton on our Miracle cruise this fall. It will be the only new beer I get to try on that trip.

Archived