What to do, 3-day vs. 7 day

My daughter(13) and I have been on many cruises on the voyager class ships and one cruise away from Diamond now. I was thinking about doing a quick 3 night cruise out of Port Canaveral for cheap and quick to get one more cruise to reach Diamond. however, after looking on this board and reading, it seems that i might be severely disappointed. i have read that the rooms smell and the halls smell bad also. The food is not as good. Also, no internet is tough but for the 3 nights i guess i could deal with that.

I can deal with smaller room, smaller ship and less amenities for a 3 night cruise and the price. However, i don't want to be counting the hours till i get back to shore either.

Other option is to try and carve out 7 nights to go on Mariner again but the 3 nights is easy to do

any comments/thoughts/advice regarding this?

A three day cruise is just a tease. It will be even more of a tease for you because it looks like your an experienced cruiser. I would do a 7 day or longer. I've never experienced bad food or bad smells on any cruise nor have I ever done a three day so I can't comment on that.

Go into it with an open mind and you will have a great time. I've been on the older ships (Sovereign) and the newer one (Freedom) and of course they aren't the same. But did I have a bad time on either one, no of course not.

And right now I have started booking 4 dayers with Carnival just to hold off my cruising addictions. So I can book one big cruise a year topped off with 2 smaller ones.

And when you do the 4 dayers...get yourself at least a balcony so you can feel a little pampered on your quick trip. :)

Go into it with an open mind and you will have a great time. I've been on the older ships (Sovereign) and the newer one (Freedom) and of course they aren't the same. But did I have a bad time on either one, no of course not.

And right now I have started booking 4 dayers with Carnival just to hold off my cruising addictions. So I can book one big cruise a year topped off with 2 smaller ones.

And when you do the 4 dayers...get yourself at least a balcony so you can feel a little pampered on your quick trip. :)

I'm guessing you have to fly for your 4 dayers cause it looks like you live in PA. Does it feel like a lot of travelling in just 4 days? It seems it works for you. I always thought it would be a pain in the neck for us to fly to FL for a short cruise.

I'm guessing you have to fly for your 4 dayers cause it looks like you live in PA. Does it feel like a lot of travelling in just 4 days? It seems it works for you. I always thought it would be a pain in the neck for us to fly to FL for a short cruise.

Nope not at all. And I do it with 2 kids...and the one time I did it without the hubby and took the kids. ;)

I try to make it better by setting groundrules. We always fly in the day before and the best thing about it being Port Canaveral is DISNEY in Orlando. So we stay at a Disney Resort and hit Magic Kingdom (if there is an event) for the night or stay at the resort.

We also MUST fly in direct. I made the mistake of taking a hometown airport this last time with flights connecting in Phillie. And this was on our 7 day Freedom. And it was TERRIBLE...the flights. Never again. Direct for us or nothing.

ALSO, during the 4 dayers we stop in Nassau (overnight) so I book a night at Atlantis Paradise Island. Nothing says relaxation like Atlantis. :D

I can make a small "quick" trip into a real vacation with no problem.

We went on a 4-day in October 2006 on Majesty, and had a great time. Small cabin, yes, but clean and not smelly at all, and the best food I've had on RCCL. And this was before she went into drydock. Only problem was the the cruise was just too short! Go in with a sense of adventure, rather than one of expectations, and you'll have fun AND get your diamond status!

we did a 4 nighter last sept for a quickie cruise and had a blast- was over dh birthday- perfect trip and really enjoyed the enchantment- love voyager class for 7 plus nights but the short cruises are really pretty fun on the small ships just for something different-

Best to check with RCCL to confirm that a 3 day cruise will bring you to Diamond. I thought it had to be 7 nights or more.

Yes, it will bring you to diamond. You also get 1 C & A point for 3 - 4 day cruises. That is why a lot of people take them so they can build up there points quicker and be at the next C & A level for the next 7 day or longer cruise. You also get an extra point if you are in a grande suite or higher category making it possible to get 2 points on the 3 day cruise.

My daughter(13) and I have been on many cruises on the voyager class ships and one cruise away from Diamond now. I was thinking about doing a quick 3 night cruise out of Port Canaveral for cheap and quick to get one more cruise to reach Diamond. however, after looking on this board and reading, it seems that i might be severely disappointed. i have read that the rooms smell and the halls smell bad also. The food is not as good. Also, no internet is tough but for the 3 nights i guess i could deal with that.

I can deal with smaller room, smaller ship and less amenities for a 3 night cruise and the price. However, i don't want to be counting the hours till i get back to shore either.

Other option is to try and carve out 7 nights to go on Mariner again but the 3 nights is easy to do

If you are used to 7 nights you will be disappointed with only 3. The atmosphere is different and it's over in a heartbeat.

I would definitly go with the 7 day. The 3 days will go fast like your days off from work. LOL:) However, if you really want that Diamond status then go for it. Being on a cruise is better that being at home any day.

Hello,

I was on Sovereign 4-nighter. We were on Deck 4 near centrum and no problems with any bad smells. My DH & I both loved the food. And sometimes my DH is hard to please because he's Italian and loves to eat, so he's a perfect example for you. He was very impressed with food, he couldn't get enough. He joked that he ate more food than he paid for his ticket! ;) I don't know about internet access, but I saw the "internet area" in the centrum, not many used it. In 4 days we kept very busy and didn't have time for the internet. I wouldn't worry about counting the hours till you get back to port. We didn't want to get off the ship! :)

Good luck with your decision.

Archived