Le Havre Transportation

I will be in Le Havre this fall and plan to visit the sights of Normandy. I want to hire a taxi for the day and make a trip to the WW II historical sites. Anyone have any information on the best way to set this up and what we should expect to pay? Is there a better way to make this tour without going with the boat tour?

Do I need to set this up in advance or can I easily find cars waiting at the port?

Thanks

I will be in Le Havre this fall and plan to visit the sites around Normandy. In particular the WW II hisorical areas. I want to hire a car or taxi for the day instead of going with the ships tour. Has anyone had any experience with doing this? If so, what should we expect to pay for a car for the day (4 passengers).

I presume that there will be opportunity to hire someone waiting at the dock but can it be set up in advance?

Thanks for any assistance

At the port entrance there is a kiosk for Le Havre Taxi. They offer standard tours of the surrounding area. I'm not sure of what the price is for the tours but I recall that they are very similar in price to those offered by the ship. You can book the tour at the kiosk.

Here is a link to their website (in French mostly but there are brief descriptions in english of the tours).

http://www.taxis-le-havre.com/taxitour/index.html

Here is a picture of the poster board in front of their kiosk.

991157068_LeHavreTaxi.jpg.d8dca33e95d0d421f8805c56600a3b16.jpg

You can also rent a car in LeHarve and drive to the WW II sites and other places in Normandy. We did it about 7 or 8 years ago. The car rental, gas, tolls and taxis between the ship and the rental office totaled about $100 for the day.

I suggest you take a look at the Ports of Call board for Europe try British Isles/Western Europe. Here's the link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

You can also try the roll call for your cruise for information on private tours. We took the ship's tour in April and it was well worth the time and money spent.

We took the Beaches of Normandy tour. There is a bit of walking involved with the most being at the American Cemetary. However, the tour was definately worth taking. I would have liked more time at the American Cemetary and less at the Caen Memorial Museum. The museum is the lunch stop on the tour. The food was very good at the museum, if the French can do this with cafeteria food I can only imagine what the food is like else where.

We were on the Jewel Trans Atlantic in April. Great ship and fantastic crew. All of the bars are closed while we were in port in France and Begium (something to do with the VAT tax). They could not even serve wine you had pre-purchased in the dining room.

Thanks Barb for answering. We are booked on the Jewel TA for Sept 08 and we want to do this tour. I was a little worried about the walking but will deal with it.

That is interesting on the bars - never had that before.

I too am trying to get a rent car in Le Havre. I have tried to find a rental car to rent for our Aug. 9th cruise on the Grand Princess(we'll be in Le Havre on the 11th I think) . I keep coming up with no cars available. We are a group of 4-8 so we may need a larger car. Can anyone tell me if they have had any luck booking their car ahead of time. I really hate to wait until I get there because there are so many of us. Thanks!

Archived