Luggage allowed on embarkation

debjam24

Have spent a lot of time reading the various threads and have picked up some great hints and ideas, thanks everyone. I am taking my husband on a surprise 50th birthday cruise in August to the Norwegian Ffjords on the Oceana.:D Can't wait, getting really excited.

One thing I can't find is any info on the size of luggage allowed at embarkation. Is there a size limit like hand luggage on a plane? I'm not thinking about taking a suitcase on but just wondered if we would be limited to a certain size. Also if we took OH Tux in a suit bag would that be loaded with the suitcases or taken as hand luggage.

Thanks for reading and sorry for what is probably a really stupid question.

Deb

Have spent a lot of time reading the various threads and have picked up some great hints and ideas, thanks everyone. I am taking my husband on a surprise 50th birthday cruise in August to the Norwegian Ffjords on the Oceana.:D Can't wait, getting really excited.

One thing I can't find is any info on the size of luggage allowed at embarkation. Is there a size limit like hand luggage on a plane? I'm not thinking about taking a suitcase on but just wondered if we would be limited to a certain size. Also if we took OH Tux in a suit bag would that be loaded with the suitcases or taken as hand luggage.

Deb

No Restrictions on what you can take.....I took all my dresses,suits and shirts on in suit carriers.(4 all told!)

When you arrive at the terminal ,the luggage men will take your cases,just tell them you will take whatever it is you want and once you've checked in, you can find your cabin and hang it up before going to look round.

Although there are no restrictions on case sizes, you will most likely store it under the bed. When i was on Princess last year i had a mega case!! it fitted easily.

lou

Have spent a lot of time reading the various threads and have picked up some great hints and ideas, thanks everyone. I am taking my husband on a surprise 50th birthday cruise in August to the Norwegian Ffjords on the Oceana. Can't wait, getting really excited.

Deb

Hi Deb,

Nice to talk again. As has been said you can take what you like on board and if you have too many suitcases the steward will take them away for you and store them. But do not worry you can get 3/4 good sized ones under the bed, more if they will fit into each other.

As for the suit carriers and they are the very sturdy kind which will lock in some way, ie. not the thin plastic ones, if they are well labeled you can hand them in with the luggage and they will get to your cabin. It gives you less to carry.

In terms of carry on luggage the only limit is what you can carry.

Looking forward to seeing you on board

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Thanks loobylouuk for that :) , it has settled another worry. After spending some time reading the posts last night had a bit of a sleepless night worrying about silly little things. But I am sure everything will turn out alright.

Thanks DaiB :) , hello again, I am getting really excited now under three months to go. I have decided that OH will have a dinner jacket though I am not sure how I am going to get it without him knowing. I have ordered some nice dresses as well.

:confused: I am not sure how we will get to the port whether we will bring our own car or if we will get someone (family) to bring us and collect us. Does anyone know what the car park facilities are like at Southampton. Also if family bring us down and meet us is there an area they can go to see us off and also back. Or is it that once we have checked in they are just left out the front of the building with nothing to do? Sorry I should probably open another post for this. Speak to you soon.

Deb

Thanks loobylouuk for that, it has settled another worry. After spending some time reading the posts last night had a bit of a sleepless night worrying about silly little things. But I am sure everything will turn out alright.

Thanks DaiB :) , hello again, I am getting really excited now under three months to go. I have decided that OH will have a dinner jacket though I am not sure how I am going to get it without him knowing. I have ordered some nice dresses as well.

:confused: I am not sure how we will get to the port whether we will bring our own car or if we will get someone (family) to bring us and collect us. Does anyone know what the car park facilities are like at Southampton. Also if family bring us down and meet us is there an area they can go to see us off and also back. Or is it that once we have checked in they are just left out the front of the building with nothing to do? Sorry I should probably open another post for this. Speak to you soon.

Deb

Hi Deb,

You can bring your car and as you pull up the porters come to you. They take your luggage to go straight on to the ship. At the same time the people from CPS (Cruise and Passenger Services) will arrive to take your car away (pre-booked). Cost for 7 nights is £65. At the end of the cruise you just walk across the road to a large car park where the cars parked

If you are given a lift then you are dropped off and you go into the terminal within minutes you will be through the security checks and your friends cannot be with you. There is a car park for them to wait in.

They will not be allowed into the terminal until all passengers have embarked and as you will want to board as soon as possible to explore your ship you could be on board by 13.00 and they would not be allowed in until 16.15 approx for a 17.00 departure. They can then go up to the observation lounge to wave you off.

So yes they will be stuck for a few hours waiting for departure unless they go off into Southampton and return for sailaway.

Any other questions, just throw them in, we are all glad to help.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived