Changing of the guards?

Ok, we only have 2 days pre cruise to play in London. We've never been and who knows when we'll be able to afford to go again. I am trying to fit a lot into our 2 days and do things geographically...seeing stuff in one area of London each day and not traversing all over each day and wasting time traveling.

My quandry is that the changing of the guards is at 11:30am and we should be there early to get a good spot...then it lasts for 40 minutes. It kind of eats into our day if we want to spend time at museums, London Eye etc. Is it really important to see this event? My husband thinks that it is quintessentially British with all the pomp and circumstance and he wants to see it. Just wondering if it really is a MUST SEE. Thanks, Marilyn

We were in London in August many years ago. We had to arrive early, and still did not get a good spot. It was so crowded, and we didn't get to see much. IMHO, it's better to spend the time in British Museum, Tower of London or Westminster.

Hello Marilyn,

Although everyone associates the Changing of the Guard with Buckinham Palace, there is an earlier guard change on Horseguards Parade at 11am. This is a guard change performed by the cavalry of either the Blues and Royals or the Lifeguards and their daily processional route is from Knightsbridge Barracks, Hyde Park, Hyde Park Corner, Buckingham Palace, The Mall and onto Horseguards for 11am sharp.

Horseguards is easily accessible from Whitehall.

There is also a smaller guard change at St James's Palace at 11am. This a small detachment of Foot Guards and is normally accompanied with a Fife and Drum band. Its route is from Buckingham Palace, The Mall and into St James's palace.

The most popular changing is of course Buckingham Palace at 1130am, but,if you fancy seeing both the Horseguards and the Buckingham Palace guardchanges, its a pleasant walk up through St James's park if you enter the park behind the Guards War memorial, up to the Palace. It will be crowded mind you but you certainly will see a bit of culture and GREAT military music. The Guards Chapel and museum are also close by on Birdcage Walk.

Details of the Guard changes are on

http://www.army.mod.uk/ceremonial/ceremonialandheritage/changing-the-guard-timings.htm

Jimmy

Does this link help you? http://www.army.mod.uk/whatson/changing_of_the_guar.htm

I am with you, marilynbn, on the guard change. I wonder if any tourists consider the changing of the guard a highlight of their trip. I certainly would not stay for whole ceremony or arrive early.

We were happy just to watch the military band march from Wellington Barracks to the palace.

On my first trip to London I saw the Changing of the Guard, while I enjoyed it I wouldn't say it was a highlight and certainly wouldn't waste my time seeing it again. Since you only have a few days in London I wouldn't bother, however as other posters have said, there are other opportunities to see the Brits military precision at its best.

Marilynbn, Haggis gives excellent advice. I would only add that Buckingham Palace is a relatively short--& very pleasant--stroll from other sights that may well be on your must-see list. (e.g., St. James's Park; Green Park; Trafalgar Square, with St. Martin in the Fields, the National Gallery, & National Portrait Gallery; the Houses of Parliament; lots of other interesting places.) Much of the joy of London lies in just strolling around at leisure & making your own discoveries.

Having been in London dozens of times over the last 30 (:eek: ) years or so, I've never tired of arriving in the vicinity of Bucks House just as the Changing of the Guard is occurring. It's still a stirring sight, with stirring sounds.

PS.: This Saturday, June 2, is the 150th anniversary of the birth of Sir Edward Elgar. (I've visited his birthplace in Worcestershire; the church in London [brompton Oratory] where he was married; several of the houses he lived in during his lifetime; &, not least, rambled over, & flown a kite on, the Malvern Hills. Oh, & listened to just about every note of music he wrote.) What has this to do with anything, you ask? Well, for a terrific fictional account of his cruise to South America in the late 1920s, read James Hamilton-Patterson's Gerontius.

At this time of the year there are numerous events in London at all times of the day.

Horseguards Parade for example is particularly busy in the evening with The Household Division (Guards) Massed bands performing Beating the Retreat. One of the best shows you'll ever see with military bands.

Most of the Royal Parks host concerts, exhibitions and displays throughout the summer months and there are even tours of cemetaries arranged.

Saturdays now, until the 16th June are very busy in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace and Horseguards with the rehearsals for the Trooping of the Colour. The main event is 16th June when the Queen attends this ceremony for her Birthday Parade.

There are Royal Parks all over London and for a full list of whats going on have a look at

www.royalparks.gov.uk/events/index.cfm

Jimmy

Archived