Lost in Cozumel

cruzin2paradise

We are a family of 4 (9-year old and 14-year old) going on our 3rd cruise, 1st on RCI and 1st time in Cozumel. We are not opposed to private tours, and have one booked in Ocho Rios. We've been "staring" at the available RCI excursions for hours and the only one that jumps out is the jeep 4x4 jungle tour. However, it doesn't sound like there is any culture involved - you drive a jeep, caravan style, to the beach, have a Mexican buffet and hang out . . . that's not what I had in mind for $344 for the family.

We don't snorkle, we do like the beach, but the kids, believe it or not, would like to see the ruins and have the beach too . . . are there any reputable private tour operators we could contact???

Thanks for your help! :cool:

We went to Cozumel on Rhapsody of the Seas 2 years ago, my husand and I and our 2 14 year old sons. We rented a tracker at the pier (Avis, I think, but we lucked out with no reservations, so would probably reserve in advance). We drove thru San Miguel, then across to the ruins at San Gervais (you can look around there by yourself, but I'd probably hire a guide while there). Then we drove to the east side of the island to Chen Rio Beach, which has a protected lagoon-type area where you can swim safely. It also has a restaurant, tables, chairs and umbrellas. Then we drove south around the island and ended up shopping before getting back on the ship. There was plenty of time to do all of that. It really depends what kind of beach you want---Chen Rio isn't really touristy, the beaches on the east side are pretty, but swimming is apparently dangerous other than in the lagoon area at Chen Rio. A lot of people on these boards go to Paradise Beach which is on the west side, you can check out a lot of other threads about it for more info. I'm sorry I don't know about a private guide, we've been to Cozumel a few times and never used one. It's easy to get around the island on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Cruzin2paradise,

If you have any kind of travel experience there is no reason you couldn't do what you want on your own. Rent a car in advance, get the full insurance, if you are involved in any type of accident without it you will be required to pay in full for any damages before leaving the island. Not trying to scare you but it is a fact of Mexican law. Get a map from this link now.

http://www.cancunmap.com/cozumel_map.html

It costs less than $10 and is invaluable to anyone visiting the island. The ruins are real easy to find, right on the cross island road. Do the ruins first, it will be cooler in the morning. There should be guides available there for $ who can give you the history ect of the ruins. Then explore the beaches. The main road is essentially a big loop around the island that will bring you back to where you started. You would almost have to try and get lost. You could drive around the entire loop in an hour or less. There are more beaches than you could visit in a day. Check the map and this board for suggestions on which beaches to check out.

There is no reason to need a "guide" to see cozumel. The people posting to do so are shills for the various "guide" companies.

Cost for the day

Car $50-75

Ruins with or without guide(they are at the ruins) $20-$40

Food and Drinks for 4 at various beach clubs $50-100

Cost $100-$200

Have a great time

Rich

Archived