Ports that are/aren't kid friendly...

MamaParrotHead

Starting to think about taking our kiddos on their first cruise (4/09), they will be almost 7 and 10.

We (DH and I) have been to some ports I don't think I'd be comfortable taking kids to (Jamaica, for one, and Nassau is debatable...and I've heard some not-so-rosey pictures painted of places like Belize and Roatan).

Strictly talking safety here, which ports are a "no-no" when taking kids? Unstable political climates, not so friendly people hanging out at the pier, pushy vendors, etc.

Other ports, I don't think there would be much for the kids to do (GC...except hang on the beach, and the only one I've been to was Rum Point, and I honestly don't want to hassle with getting there. Although I'm considering trying to teach them to snorkel at some point between now and then). St. Thomas and St. Martin would be good beach days, but we've all ready been there (and we cruise so infrequently, we'd rather not repeat EVERY port). Southern routes are way to port intensive for ME, let alone 2 small kids.

We're not looking to do super-adventurous excursions...mostly beach days with maybe a local private tour here or there. We'll be sailing Carnival (mostly because of their military rates fro veterans).

Thanks!

We took our 8 y.o. to Belize and cave tubed with Yhonni and it was her favorite excursion ever. I wouldn't get away from the port terminal and go for a wander but we felt perfectly safe on the excursion and they treated DD like a princess.

I haven't been to Jamaica with kids and the only time I was there is over twenty years ago so I can't comment (but we are going there next February).

Cozumel is a great spot for kids. The snorkeling is excellent and DD loved shopping for souvenirs. Costa Maya was a great stop, too- we went on the excursion to see the Mayan ruins with Ivan and DD was very interested in that. She loved Progreso/Merida, too- we took the Mexican bus and walked around. As far as people offering to sell you stuff- every port I have been in has that. I have never felt intimidated and have taught DD to say "no, thanks" in a polite voice and keep moving.

Your kids will LOVE their cruise. Have fun!

Barb

ever taken them to labadee, haiti? I think that would be a very fun port to stop at, its just a beach! Plus, i think theres something called the "dragons breath" or similar where people go to the top of this cliff and when the water rushes up through the rocks, it sounds like something huge is breathing, the view is nice, too. :) Have fun!

I feel TOTALLY safe in the Bahamas...Nassau and Freeport....no doubt! We LOVE Atlantis Paradise Island...pure heaven! I try to get back there as often as possible.

Jamaica - NO WAY! I wouldn't let the kids off the ship when Freedom of the Seas stopped there at the beginning of this month. (Flame away, they are MY kids...lol :p ) We made it a SEA Day and all stayed on the ship.

The safest are St.Martin, St.Thomas, Grand Caymen...probably Turks/Caocas and Bermuda. Never any problems there.

Cozumel seemed safe enough...just didn't LOVE it.

Bermuda, Grand Turk, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, and the cruise line's private islands are all perfectly safe.

I love San Juan Puerto Rico but others don't. I think it is a great stop with alot of history. Not much time to go to the beach there. I'd stay in town and go to the Fort and the Governor's Mansion. The little cobblestone streets and shops are nice IMO.

I have been to Tortola (nice!), St. Bart's (very nice) but expensive.

We took our little son to Jamaica when he was four. We hired Ionie McBeam as our guide. She drove us to see some sights and then dropped us off at this fabulous beach. She picked us up a couple hours later and took us back to our ship....we had no problems at all and would do it again tomorrow if we could.

In GC you can walk to Smith Cove beach from where the tenders drop you off. It is about a mile from the port area. There are limited facilites here, but the beach is gorgeous and fairly uncrowded.

In Nassau you can easily walk from the port to the British Colonial Hilton. They charge $10 per person for use of their private beach and pool area. It is very clean and there are paddle boats and beach toys. We had a great time there.

Roatan is another wonderful place. The only warning I have about Roatan is that I was consumed by sand fleas, my DH and DS were fine though. So bring some bug spray. We found the people in Roatan to be friendly and gracious.

We did Belize on our own, just walking around. I do believe that Belize is best done for a family by booking an excursion. If your cruise offers a snorkel excursions to Ambergris or Caye Caulker I think that would be your best bet.

Remember too, if the price is right those port intensive trips can have an added bonus. While the masses are out exploring the port you and your family can have the ship practically to yourselves. On our last trip to the Mex Riv we did morning activities in port. We were back on the ship for lunch and then had the pools etc practically all to ourselves. It was fabulous!!

I *wish* I could take advantage of port days by using them as sea days, but I'm always so excited to see and do different things and learn about different cultures...I think the only way I could stay on the ship is if I were bound and gagged! LOL:D

I love San Juan Puerto Rico but others don't. I think it is a great stop with alot of history. Not much time to go to the beach there. I'd stay in town and go to the Fort and the Governor's Mansion. The little cobblestone streets and shops are nice IMO.

Old San Juan is absolutely one of my favorite places for the same reasons you mentioned. We like to fly in and sail from there though, as most of the cruises going there are at night and we love visiting the forts, etc. :)

We have taken our kids to Nassau several times. Atlantis and Blue Lagoon Island were lots of fun. The Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon was awesome. We also took DS to Cable Beach on Paradise Island when he was an infant and felt perfectly safe (he is now 7, so I do not know how it is now).

Bermuda was great with our DS. Would definitely do again.

My only reservation about doing Belize would just be the six-mile tendering process required at that port. We had rough seas the day we were there, and transferring from the boat onto the very rocky tender and then bump-bump-bumping across six miles of rough water in a small boat was a bit anxiety-provoking for me (kids were not there, thank goodness).

Alaska was fabulous and quite kid-friendly.

We enjoyed Roatan immensely and felt quite safe there. However, we did a private spa tour (again, no kids on that trip), so we were picked up at the pier and went straight there and back.

We have been to Cozumel a few times. Although we were there several years ago (before kids), we enjoyed Chankanaab Park and I would love to take the kids there one day. We have done a tour of Tulum twice. I think it would be long and hot for kids, unless they are just archaeology buffs.

Of course, Grand Cayman is a good option for many reasons listed by others.

We loved Aruba. We rented a car and explored on our own, and it was one of the best port days ever! We had 2 year old DS with us at the time and felt perfectly safe.

St. Lucia is a difficult port with children, IMO. Lots of driving to get anywhere worth being. That being said, we have been there twice and loved it, but I think it would be tough with kids.

As far as Jamaica, we took the ship's zip line excursion and felt totally safe. The tour guide/driver met us right at the port, drove to the excursion and then back to the ship. Some chose to go into town, but my husband and I had been through the whole Jamaica "shopping" experience :eek: many years ago and knew we were better off just getting back on the ship. Many families go to Sunset Beach Resort for the day--very safe, only hotel and day guests allowed. I know the price kept going up and up, but it is all inclusive (drinks, food, water park, beach area), and safe.

We like going to beaches; seems to be the best for our family, so for Cozumel I would recommend Chankanaab (our favorite) or Paradise Beach (smaller, water toys for the kids, louder, more of a party atmosphere, BUT suitable for families). In Grand Caymen, we enjoy Smith's Cove. We loved our day at Costa Maya, just staying at the port (swimming at the beach in the morning, back to the ship for lunch, roaming the shops in the afternoon--very low stress, very low or no cost!). In Belize, we took the ships snorkeling tour so we didn't even go into town (boat picked us up and dropped us back off at the ship). It was OK.

Be sure to check the ports of call boards---lots of info there too.

Another vote for Alaska.......very kid-friendly. If your kids are into animals, nature, fish, that kind of thing, they would love it! There are lots of things at every port that would be interesting and easy to do with kids. We did Denali afterwards and it was fantastic; we did the long bus ride into the park, worried that our kids would flake on us, but they were great and we saw soooo much - bears, wolves, caribou, etc.

We took our 10 year old son to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. He enjoyed every port and we always felt safe. In Jamaica we went to Sunset beach for the day, we did the stingray swim in Grand Cayman and went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. All 3 were great for kids his age and we all enjoyed the activities. As far as safey, just be careful as you would anywhere and use your common sense in where you go and who you speak too. Jamaica was the only port that we were forwarned about as far as safety issues but we never felt unsafe. Granted we didn't venture too far from the ship but my husband was asked about buying certain illegal substances but a no thanks was all that was needed. It didn't bother us. We knew we didn't want it and once they knew it too, they were gone. No hasseling.

Tina

How do I get there? Are cruisers allowed to swim in their pools? I was looking at the website and it looks BEAUTIFUL!

JACKIEMOMTO2@AOL.COM[/quoteyou

Check with the Atlantis. I read somewhere that they have a limited number of passes for purchase. Or you can book a room ($220 approx.) at their smaller hotel across the street from the Atlantis and then have access to the pools and water slides. We did that in 2000.

It was worth it. We really didn't use the room at all- other than to change but for four of us it was worth it. Atlantis is like a mini water park/aquarium.

How do I get there? Are cruisers allowed to swim in their pools? I was looking at the website and it looks BEAUTIFUL!

JACKIEMOMTO2@AOL.COM

I don't think they offer passes anymore. I saw one poster say they paid $450 for passes....meanwhile for a room AT ATLANTIS I paid $199 in November and $286 in August for the 4 of us. I just call Atlantis directly and book a room for the night. You can check in as soon as your ship docks. Just get off the ship, go to the closest building and buy a water taxi pass to Paradise Island for $3 pp. Then Atlantis is right accross (and up) the street from where the water taxi docks.

You can also book at the Comfort Inn Paradise Island next door to Atlantis but I've never found the prices worth it. I just book with Atlantis directly...use the room to shower and change...and the kids can take a nap if needed.

To get the best price at Atlantis, ask for the Summer (or Fall) promo.

I used to live on Paradise Island and can tell you that it is very safe, clean and beautiful. Atlantis is awesome to see, especially if you have children. They will love it. The public beach on Paradise Island is called Cabbage Beach and is also very beautiful.

I have never cruised with my kids, but having been on 2 cruises already, I can tell you that I would never get off the ship with my kids in Jamaica or in Cozumel.

I think Grand Caymen would be a lot of fun for children (turtle farm, town of Hell etc.) and it is very clean and safe there as well. St. Thomas would be another island I would feel very comfortable taking my kids there. The private island in Haiti that we went to on our RCCL cruise would also be lots of fun for kids.

If I were to ask my kids (DS(13) and DD(10) what their favorite ports were that they have gone to so far, their number one answer would be the private islands :D (Half Moon Cay for Carnival and Castaway Cay for Disney). After that it would be Cozumel, St. Martin, and St. Thomas. They did not enjoy the Glass Bottom boat in Nassau and thought Pirate Museum was kind of lame:( . They did like the Atlantis Sub in St. Thomas. They enjoyed snorkeling at the private islands and having beach days in St. Martin and Cozumel. When we stopped in Progresso (was supposed to go to Grand Cayman) we just checked out the shops at the peir and went back to the ship. Kind of scary when you get off the ship and they have guards standing at the pier with machine guns.:eek: Hope this helps.:)

Archived