Hope I handled this correctly

Orcrone

For our upcoming Zuiderdam cruise in March the adults have three verandah rooms booked on the upper verandah deck. I wanted to put our girls in one of the large I category rooms (209 square feet). However, the I category only had GTY available. So we booked them in one of the small category K rooms on that deck (143 square feet).

I check my TA's website every day for availablility. Tonight I found that one of the I cat rooms on that deck became available. I didn't want to take a chance that it would still be available in the morning for my TA to make the switch, especially since she's located in NM and does not open until 10:30 eastern time. So I booked the second room on line and left a credit card deposit. We're still five months from final payment, so I figure that my TA can just cancel out the original room tomorrow.

My TA's website claims that they charge a cancellation fee. However, previously she had told me that they've never actually charged it. And even so, I can't see them doing that for a cancellation and rebooking.

Do you think I handled it OK, or should I prepare for the wrath of my TA.:D

Hi Orcone:

No problem. You can transfer the booking from HAL to the TA. No problem. You just send them a fax and the agency number and name of the TA. You will have to get that from the TA. Their agency number. Plenty of time to do it.

I would have done the same thing under the circumstances. It is your trip and the TA will still get her commission so all is well.

Johanna,

I actually booked it on my TA's website. So they have both the original booking and the new one. So there shouldn't be any need to transfer any bookings. They should just have to cancel the original one.

Our TA never had a problem with our many changes over the years. I've even called HAL directly, booked on board, etc, and He always accepted the changes, verified them, and kept a fax copy for me.

I think you handled your situation very well. You saw an opportunity, took advantage of it, and got what you wanted. We in nursing call it, being proactive.

Good for you!

GN

Orcrone....You did good IMO

Should not be any problem. You well could have lost the new cabin if you had waited. You had to "grab" it while available.

Let us know how it goes when you speak w/ TA.

(I'm happy the cabin you wanted for the girls became available.)

My TA doesn't get in until 10:30. I left her two messages last night. The first one said that I wanted to grab the room first thing in the morning before someone else books it. Then I decided to book it on their website myself. So I did that and called her back and told her I booked the room, and we just needed to cancel the original reservation.

Originally I was going to call her first thing this morning to reserve the cabin. But since the room is booked, and I just need her to cancel, I won't bother her as soon as she walks in.

SAIL - Not only did a room become available in that category, but it was the one closest to our room. Of course, if I want them to be closer, they're right across the hallway from some SS cabins.:rolleyes: ;) :D

Hmmm....Keep checking. You NEVER know. You may grab a fabulous deal.

I think it's a wonderful omen of all things being wonderful for you and your family for the cabin you wanted for the girls to free up and you were able to get it.

Keep checking....you could get even luckier!!

(fingers crossed for you)

Sail,

I actually check every day (OK, several times a day). That exact same thing happened for our Maasdam cruise. We originally booked category M. Then a price drop lowered the cost of a cat. K below the M, so we obviously moved. I then decided to surprise DW and moved us to a cat. E outside cabin (she still doesn't know).:)

For the Zuiderdam cruise it's almost $250 extra pp to go to the SS. However, this is the cruise where my mom is taking the entire family. She's booked in the cabin next to us. I wouldn't upgrade DW and I and leave my mom and her husband where they are. So the price would have to drop enough to allow us to upgrade, and allow my brother and I to upgrade our mom and her DH. We could make it a birthday gift.

And even if it doesn't happen, we're still in our first verandah cabin ever. So life is looking real good right now.:)

As a TA I think you did the right thing. Your TA will make the change and all will be well.

Never, never pass up a chance to get exactly what you want. It's your cruise and your money. Your TA will be proud of you.

Thanks for the encouragement Carol. I also think it makes her life a little easier as she can cancel the reservation at her leisure, rather than having me bug her as soon as she arrives and having to contact HAL first thing in the AM to make the switch.

Archived