Help me convince my DH to go to Alaska

melika091900

SO ive been trying to convince my husband to go on a cruise this summer to alaska.. weve been to hawaii, the caribbean and mexico and I just want to see alaska at least 1 time...

any suggestions ???? every time I bring it up he says no i want to go to mexico....

hes afraid of the weather being cold, and nothing to do for our daughter who is 6 ,, etc etc...

Hes from the south pacific so I can see why he doesnt like the cold,but alaska looks beautiful

any ideas ????? or reasons I can say Why we should go there..?

thanks

Melissa

Having just returned from Alaska, I can honestly say it is something everyone should see in their lifetime. Words can not do justice to how beautiful it is.

My boyfriend and I discussed before we went how different it was going to be from all our other cruises ... which were to warm climates. We were right, it doesn't compare. You can't compare fun and sun to scenery. It's a completely different type of crusie experience.

We've both decided that we want to take our parents with us next time.

I don't know that a youngster would appreciate the beauty of Alaska but there certainly would be some fun things for her to do both on board (they have a great kid's program I saw several kids enjoying a lot!) and in port. Whale watching, dog sledding, train riding, panning for gold are just a few things that come to mind.

In terms of weather, that's a crap shoot anywhere, but this past week, I needed nothing heavier than a sweatshirt and jeans. Gloves and scarf, in fact, have already been returned to Nordstrom.

The scenery is breathtaking. I hope you can convince him.

Ok, I can't help convince your DH but I can tell you that Alaska is BEAUTIFUL and I've only seen it in photo's and video. My DH is from Mississippi, so he's definately used to HOT but he loves rural, and he loves nature so when I said lets go on an AK cruise he just said "book it". This is our first cruise, and we're not bringing our little ones (almost 8 & 3) but I'm sure there is a TON of stuff for them to do. I know that my older son would love to go whale watching, or ride the trains in Skagway, or see the salmon hatchery, which is a bit different than Mexico or the Caribbean but I think it would definately interest kids. There's a ton of culture (Native American, and Russian) and history that I would actually find more educational value in than a nice tropical cruise, but I tend to base most everything in my children's lives around educational opportunities (i.e. getting a zoo pass and using it quite a bit with my kids, as well as the other natural areas around the SF Bay Area).

As for weather, it's a mixed bag but so is the Caribbean (although no snow). I've heard the weather can change in an instant, from windy cold to warm sun. My mom has been, and she said that parts of the trip were cold (like when getting close to glaciers...go figure it's a giant ice cube) and then she had a couple of days in the 70's and the weather was perfect. People who have been on the Vision recently have stated that it was sunny and warm, while the cruise before that saw some rain. It's hard to know what the weather will be, but it's guaranteed to be a fun cruise. Some people are drawn to warmer climates, I personally wanted to see Alaska with my DH on our first cruise because I know that the next time we cruise we won't be alone and it most likely will be to a warm climate. Hopefully you can convince your DH to compromise and go to Alaska, and then book the nice warm Mexican cruise to appease him as well. I think your daughter would have a great time in Alaska, and she'd have some really interesting cultural lessons to take back to school in the fall. I'd also post on the family boards as well as some of the Vision Roll Calls to see if someone has some better input than I.

If your hubby can look at pics of Alaska and say he doesn't want to go, I'd say you're outa luck taking him. When a person can stand on my deck and ask how I can live in a place like this, the only answer I can give is "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer." Alaska and the Yukon aren't for everyone (luckily!).

Murray

How about this negotiation strategy instead of trying to convince your husband? Say to him that he will be able to choose to go ANYWHERE for the next vacation if he accepts to go with you to Alaska for this coming vacation. Of course, you will need to hold up your end of the bargain. But if played out well, it will be a win-win for you, and very possibly for your husband as well. :)

How about this negotiation strategy instead of trying to convince your husband? Say to him that he will be able to choose to go ANYWHERE for the next vacation if he accepts to go with you to Alaska for this coming vacation. Of course, you will need to hold up your end of the bargain. But if played out well, it will be a win-win for you, and very possibly for your husband as well. :)

Ha Ha that sounds good,,,, we usually choose the same places. but for alaska i might have to twist his arm ;)

melissa

Having just returned from Alaska, I can honestly say it is something everyone should see in their lifetime. Words can not do justice to how beautiful it is.

My boyfriend and I discussed before we went how different it was going to be from all our other cruises ... which were to warm climates. We were right, it doesn't compare. You can't compare fun and sun to scenery. It's a completely different type of crusie experience.

We've both decided that we want to take our parents with us next time.

I don't know that a youngster would appreciate the beauty of Alaska but there certainly would be some fun things for her to do both on board (they have a great kid's program I saw several kids enjoying a lot!) and in port. Whale watching, dog sledding, train riding, panning for gold are just a few things that come to mind.

In terms of weather, that's a crap shoot anywhere, but this past week, I needed nothing heavier than a sweatshirt and jeans. Gloves and scarf, in fact, have already been returned to Nordstrom.

The scenery is breathtaking. I hope you can convince him.

I hope can convince him too.....

thanks for responding

melissa

well today as he was building a patio in our backyard,, i said ,, ok come on

salmon .... king crab..... halibut,,,

I was trying to make him be hungry and think about it

I think he doesnt like the ice in the water and the ship maneuvering around it .. not sure

im still going to work on him, wish me luck

melissa

As you can see from my signature, I've been a few places...and that doesn't include the land tours. I have found that very few places can compare to Alaska. Off-hand, I would have to say that only Wales, Grand Teton National Park, and possibly Hawaii are anywhere close to the beauty and splendor of Alaska. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut since it gets pretty crowded in port in the summer...but...it really is worth going.

AK is somewhere my DH always expressed wanting to go - but I had NOOO interest (do NOT like cold!) But he always go along with any vacation plans I make, and I thought I owed him this - and THEN I found CC!! :eek: It sure did get me HOOKED!! He's been telling people I'll be bored when we get there because I've already spent the last year there via internet! :D

well today as he was building a patio in our backyard,, i said ,, ok come on

salmon .... king crab..... halibut,,,

I was trying to make him be hungry and think about it

I think he doesnt like the ice in the water and the ship maneuvering around it .. not sure

im still going to work on him, wish me luck

melissa

My husband never wanted to cruise and now our only regret is that we did not discover Alaska soon enough. This July will be our third trip in 4 years and if we could have another home, it would be in Alaska. The only place we have seen ice in the water on the roundtrip Inside Passage trips, is when you go to see the glaciers. And, personally, the ice floats we have seen were never larger than cars, and most much smaller......and heh, remind your husband how large a cruise ship is. Is he thinking Titanic, or what ??? The captain and his crews are masters at manuevering. That is their job. Don't sell them short. Pull up some of the beautiful photos taken in Alaska that are posted on this board and show them to your husband. Combine that with letting him read some of this years cruise reviews, esp. the parts about the shore excursions. Also tell him that if you take the Inside Passage out of Vancouver, it is pretty much non stop beautiful, breathtaking scenery every minute of the trip.........not like the hours upon hours spent in the Caribbean (been there, done that, too) with nothing to see but water. Alaska is a trip of a lifetime........I just don't have enough time in my life to see it as much as I want. :) gg

AK is somewhere my DH always expressed wanting to go - but I had NOOO interest (do NOT like cold!) But he always go along with any vacation plans I make, and I thought I owed him this - and THEN I found CC!! :eek: It sure did get me HOOKED!! He's been telling people I'll be bored when we get there because I've already spent the last year there via internet! :D

LOL :)

yeah he sees me on here... he hates typing though... he always says who are you talking to on there.???

hahaha

melissa

I say, let him skip it and go with someone else. Alaska isn't for everyone and it certainly is in no way comparable to the Caribbean or Mexico. The cooler travel area isn't for everyone, nor is the scenery.

I travel a lot. Some of my own family are homebodys, I've always gone without them and it works perfectly. :) Everyone is different and I do realize some people just won't go without the other, but I'm always for, living for today and doing what you wish. :)

I say, let him skip it and go with someone else. Alaska isn't for everyone and it certainly is in no way comparable to the Caribbean or Mexico. The cooler travel area isn't for everyone, nor is the scenery.

I travel a lot. Some of my own family are homebodys, I've always gone without them and it works perfectly. :) Everyone is different and I do realize some people just won't go without the other, but I'm always for, living for today and doing what you wish. :)

true,, but we dont go anywhere without each other :rolleyes:

im still working on him, but if i have to settle with mexico so be it , but im not giving up just yet.. LOL

take care

Melissa

Does he have a hobby?? Maybe you can convince him with a shore excursion. Does he snorkel? I've always thought that if we were into snorkeling it would be sooo cool to do it in Alaska. How many people can say they have snorkeled in Alaska?

How about fishing?

Is he a train buff, for a train buff the White Pass RR is a must.

Maybe something like that would work.

Does he have a hobby?? Maybe you can convince him with a shore excursion. Does he snorkel? I've always thought that if we were into snorkeling it would be sooo cool to do it in Alaska. How many people can say they have snorkeled in Alaska?

How about fishing?

Is he a train buff, for a train buff the White Pass RR is a must.

Maybe something like that would work.

He loves fishing ,, i told him SALMON and Halibut.... those were my key words for him,,, it still didnt work,

I had some pics of alaska on the computer when he came home from work today, he didnt say anything,

maybe ill bring it up again during cuddle time, LOL

Melissa

I think there are too many "trips of a lifetime" these days. We've gotta come up with another catchy phrase to persuade the recalcitrant!

:D

I know we just did a 14 day hawaii cruise of a lifetime, and I dont think anything will top it ,but we can at least try ... LOL

Melissa

SO ive been trying to convince my husband to go on a cruise this summer to alaska.. weve been to hawaii, the caribbean and mexico and I just want to see alaska at least 1 time...

any suggestions ???? every time I bring it up he says no i want to go to mexico....

hes afraid of the weather being cold, and nothing to do for our daughter who is 6 ,, etc etc...

Hes from the south pacific so I can see why he doesnt like the cold,but alaska looks beautiful

any ideas ????? or reasons I can say Why we should go there..?

thanks

Melissa

Well just leave him home. Take your brother, sister, your kids the lady next door, or the man next door . And if he still wont go , you go !!! I have been to Alaska 7 TIMES AND EVERY TIME ITS JUST BETTER. But each time the Glaciers get smaller and smaller. In 2004 we went to MT Alyeska the time before from the top we could see all 7 Glacers but in 2004 they were all GONE. I almost cried .

He loves fishing ,, i told him SALMON and Halibut.... those were my key words for him,,, it still didnt work
My DH wasn't onboard either (even though he was willing to go) that is not until I received a travel guide from one of the ports and there were pictures in there of the fish people had caught. I was showing him the pictures and saying "Wouldn't that be so cool to catch something like that?" He was getting "swayed" into thinking this could work out. Then I chartered a boat for the 4 of us in Ketchikan he couldn't resist any longer - he is now very excited about the trip and can't wait to fish AND he is getting more excited everyday about seeing/doing everything else.

Don't give up just yet.

Archived