Potty-trained son having accidents 3 weeks before cruise!

Jotul

I knew it was too easy! I potty-trained my 2.5 year old son four months ago so he'd be ready for our cruise. He's been doing great - no accidents at night or during day. Of course, now that were in the 3-week window for departure, he's had three accidents in the last three days. :rolleyes: Pee, not poop, but still. I keep trying to tell him he won't be able to play in the water, but he doesn't seem to get it (or care). Grrr...girls are so much easier. :D

(I'm not mad at him or yelling, just venting here where he can't read or see it -- he's still my little bunnykins.)

OK, no expert here and it's been a LONG time since I had to go through this with my boys, but maybe your son in picking up on your stress. (You are probably shopping, packing, running around getting ready for your big vacation.;) ) I know you are not yelling, but try to not worry about it and it will probably all work out. (if it continues, or he has pain, he might have an infection, but chances are it's nothing abnormal).

Good luck!:)

Well, one of the accidents was because we were debating whether or not he could stand up (I thought he had to poop, so wanted him to sit). I guess we debated too long since he wet himself. The second time was that he had to get out of the bath to go, and went as I was picking him up. :o So, today was really the first time he just went without even trying to get to the potty. I guess I should go easier on him. He is probably picking up on my stress and his daddy and grandparents (who have been living with us) are out of town. So his schedule is changed a bit.

I'll see how it goes - I don't want to take any chances on the cruise, and when I booked it, I never thought I'd get him trained in time. So, I guess we'll just play the water activities by ear.

I still think girls were easier (at that age - at the current age, it's a different story :rolleyes:).

Since your child is potty trained- then you must simply make him use the bathroom before going to the pool.

Running water definitely makes little boys have to pee. Whether it is from the sink, bathtub or even water fountains. I have noticed this with my son. Many kids- once they know how to "hold it"- will wait too long and then have an accident. This is typical and even older kids- having been potty trained for years- will have the occasional accident.

So, don't stress. I have two boys. My first was completely potty trained by two years old. My younger son was nearly three. It just depends on the child.

Hi - I had a similar problem a few years ago with our son- He seemed like he was trained-- and then a month before the cruise--Only at my home, he started saying "oops Mommy" --which the end result was wet pants ! So we tried a reward system-- and that worked for a week, - but then it sarted up again-- only at home - not Pre-school -- it was making me crazy! He would just get invloved in an activity and get lazy and then well you know another accident would happen- Then my husband showed our son the ship on the computer and told him if he kept having accidents he would not be allowed in the pool or the kids club-- and at that rate he might want to stay home with Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop while Mommy and Daddy go on the ship--- well that was the last accident- he made it onto the ship - no accidents at all - I was shocked - I thought he might be nervous on the plane ride- but he was a champ.

As for you -- I am sure your patience is wearing thin - but it sounds like you have a lot going on at home. The only reason my son did not have accidents at his daycare/pre-school was that they refused to change his wet clothes for him-- If he had accident- he had to take the wet clothes off - clean up and re-dress - of course they would be right there- but he had to do it for himself-- I thought that was a little much - but he did potty train rather quickly. or at least so I thought!! but it does work out. My Mom said that our son would not go to College in diapers- but that wasn't a consolation. -- I agree I think Boys are just tough in the potty training department - my nephew was close to 4 when he got it mastered. My Mom had 3 daughters and we were all potty trained at 2 years old. -- So good luck and hang in there.

Thanks for the words of advice. I'm waiting it out to see how it goes. You know, I hadn't even thought about the flight. It's and hour's ride the airport and 3.5 hours on the plane. If he stays awake, I'm not concerned, but would be if he falls asleep, just because of the new experience.

Would you put a pull-up on him for the flight? Or just chance it?

I wouldn't chance it at all, I would definitely use a pull-up. 3.5 hrs of the ppl around you smelling pee-pee may be a little tough. Not to mention that usally somene's stuff is under a seat that might leak! Also someone will have to clean up the pee-pee. A pull up could prevent all of these things from occurring!

Would you put a pull-up on him for the flight? Or just chance it?

The problem with using a pull-up is that the child doesn't feel uncomfortable when they wet, and they may get lazy and want to use the pull-up instead of the toilet. When I was potty-training my girls, I used thick, padded underpants and those old-fashioned plastic underpants. Boy, they were very motivated to get potty-trained and get out of those things!

For the flight, I'd use a pull-up, too. We did that with our son (now 9) whenever we went on flights/long car trips while and just after he was potty training. I don't remember him ever having an accident in his pull-up, but it sure gave me peace of mind! Good luck! :)

I would use the pull-up for the flight. You never know how long you'll have to stay in your seat and you won't want to have to deal with an accident mid-flight. I had to change a dirty diaper while in the air and there was turbulence. Not fun. Put him in the pull-up and still have him go to the bathroom right before you board. Explain to him that it's not always possible to get up and use the potty on an airplane so the pull-up is "just in case". Even once the seat belt signed is turned off, offer to let him go use the restroom again.

As for the pools, these are just accidents. Any kid can have an accident. I would still let him use the pools but just make sure to go potty just before and take several breaks. Make sure he knows that he gets to come back to the pool when he's done. I don't know what would happen if he has an accident at the kids club though, if you're planning to go there.

As a side note, you guys are getting me all worried now. We leave in 5 months and DS is just at the very beginning stage of potty training.

If your son is sleeping thru the night without messing his bed- you shouldn't worry about the pull-ups. I never put my son in pull-ups once he was potty trained. Talked to your pediatrician. I suspect that they will say not to bother.

I would use the pull-ups. This brought back memories when my DH, DS (then 2 1/2) and I drove to FL from MI for a niece's wedding. DS had been potty trained for about 2 month's before we left but we still used the pull-ups for travelling. It turned out DS was a little stressed with all the travelling and stopping in Disney World and went for 3 days without a BM:(. On the third day we went into a souvineer store in Orlando where DS promptly hid himself so he could have his BM at last:o . I did not even bother working on potty training then since I was relieved he was even going:rolleyes: . After that everything was back to normal:) . Moral of the story, don't be surprised if travelling reeks havoc with potty training. Use the pull-ups just in case and have a great time:D .

He had another mini-accident yesterday (stood the wrong way at the potty), so I showed him the pictures of the Liberty, pools and H20 Zone and told him he wouldn't be able to go in the water if he kept having accidents. Afterwards, he looked at me and said, "No more oopses, Mommy. No more." :D

We'll see how it goes, but he's taken his pottying seriously since then.

I'm just going to reiterate what has already been said: simply remind your son to use the potty before doing anything. If he's at the pool for an hour or so, ask him to go again. And recognize the 'jumpy jitters' if you think he's had a lot of juice or water to drink in a short time.

We potty-trained my son a few months ago, and after a while I began to relax a bit on reminding him to pee because he seemed to be getting the hang of it. But, then he had a few accidents which reminded ME that HE needs reminding, too. Once I began asking him more frequently, or insisting that he use the potty before we did anything (like go outside to play or run some errands) the accidents stopped.

I agree that there might be some stress he's feeling...talking about not being able to use the pool might be stressing on him, even though he's showing you his brave face. It's amazing how much kids look up to us and don't like to see us upset.

The only reason my son did not have accidents at his daycare/pre-school was that they refused to change his wet clothes for him-- If he had accident- he had to take the wet clothes off - clean up and re-dress - of course they would be right there- but he had to do it for himself-- I thought that was a little much - but he did potty train rather quickly. or at least so I thought!!

I had someone give me similar advice recently and I thought it was brilliant!

The advice I got was "leave them in the wet clothes". The logic was that they would decide it wasnt so grat to pee themselves if they had to hang in wet clothes. I can see where having them change their own clothes would follow the same line of reasoning.

I agree with the first response - I think your son is picking up on your stress and or the routine changes you mentioned.

My son is only 8 months old so, at this point, I am still gathering information and have no advice to offer.

Good luck tho! I am sure it will all work out!

We were accident-free all weekend, and we were all over the place, which means long car rides or times without access to a potty. :) Bribing him with the "big ship" seems to be doing the trick. :rolleyes: That, and me being extra vigilant with reminding him to go (or just taking him) when we are near a potty. Seems he was just getting lazy.

Last year, my dd was 3, and I was working on training before the cruise....I told her that if she was potty trained before our vacation, the cruise line puts a special prize in your cabin before you get there. I had my hubby run to the room before we got there, and place a new "beach barbie" with a shovel and pail in the room before she saw it. When we got into the room, her prize was waiting for her.....this trick really worked for me! She's been potty trained ever since! (Bribery sometimes works wonders!!!)

Good luck!

Archived