Formal night wear?

Booked

We're on the Celebrity Infinity, out of Vancouver on the 17th...

We've cruised Europe with HAL, but this is our first NA cruise

Since this is summer and Alaska, my husband's not sure if he'll require a tux or black suit on the formal nights.

Or will he fit in with a classy light-coloured summer suit and tie?

:)

Can anyone who's had experience with Celebrity Alaska cruises pass on some advice?

Many thanks

Hi, Have done Alaska on the BEAUTIFUL Infinity twice. Both trips we only saw about 30% of men in tuxs. The other 70% were in darker toned suits. I would recomend that if you go with the suit go with black. Have fun I love the Infinity!

Agree with the dark suit. I did not see that many tuxedos, but very few in light colored suits. For informal nights, many slacks and collars shirts with only about 50% in jackets and very few ties. My DH wore a black suit w white shirt one night and a blue shirt the second formal night. After dinner, most people still wore their suits but we saw people in jeans and sweaters in the show theatre etc.

Agree with the dark suit. I did not see that many tuxedos, but very few in light colored suits. For informal nights, many slacks and collars shirts with only about 50% in jackets and very few ties. My DH wore a black suit w white shirt one night and a blue shirt the second formal night. After dinner, most people still wore their suits but we saw people in jeans and sweaters in the show theatre etc.

I decided to rent a tux for our upcoming Alaksa cruise--both because I thought it would be fun to dress up with everyone, and because I would then not have to pack and carry my suits. (I currently do not have a black suit, but I do have a very dark blue and a very dark grey.)

What I am seeing on these threads is that wearing a tux may actually be OUT of place. Sure, that may be an exaggeration, but it is disappointing to hear that most people do not wear them. If I would fit in just as well, or even better, in a suit, I could save the tux rental fee and use it on beverages.

I think I still have enough time to cancel my tux rental... (I wonder how much longer it will be until they have suit rental available!!!)

OTH, I might be a stubborn traditionalist and wear the tux. Believe it or not, I think it is fun to wear one--the opportunity does not present itself every day!

I decided to rent a tux for our upcoming Alaksa cruise--both because I thought it would be fun to dress up with everyone, and because I would then not have to pack and carry my suits. (I currently do not have a black suit, but I do have a very dark blue and a very dark grey.)

What I am seeing on these threads is that wearing a tux may actually be OUT of place. Sure, that may be an exaggeration, but it is disappointing to hear that most people do not wear them. If I would fit in just as well, or even better, in a suit, I could save the tux rental fee and use it on beverages.

I think I still have enough time to cancel my tux rental... (I wonder how much longer it will be until they have suit rental available!!!)

OTH, I might be a stubborn traditionalist and wear the tux. Believe it or not, I think it is fun to wear one--the opportunity does not present itself every day!

Mike,

Don't worry about what most men are wearing for formal nights. If you want to wear a tux, then do it. I guarantee you wil not be out of place by wearing your tux. Either a tux or a dark suit is appropriate for formal nights.

Frankly, comments about what percentage of men wear tuxes on formal nights are highly speculative and most likely incorrect. Even if the 30% estimate is correct, there would be approximately 200 to 270 men wearing a tux if we assume 700 to 900 men participate in formal nights. You certainly will have plenty of company.

DH and DS will be wearing one on the Merc in two weeks. If you like to wear a tux wear one, if you wouldf eel more comfortable in the suit wear that.

Thank you, I will do just that;)

Archived