Perfumery

KAWS

I have heard that there's a perfume shop near the Swizzle Inn that makes a perfume for you based on the different scents that you choose. So it's YOUR perfume.

Has anyone gone to this place and done this and can tell me where it is and how long this takes? Sounds like fun and a good souvenier to bring home.

The Bermuda perfumery used to be somewhere up the road from there, but they closed, then moved into St. George's. I don't ever recall them custom making perfume, but the perfume that they do sell is heavenly! And the body lotions are even better!!:D

Can you tell me how to find this place? I know I want to go to a beach and to the Swizzle Inn and to the perfume place (and maybe the caves if I can fit that in too) but not sure where everything is so not sure which bus or how to get there.

Can you tell me how to find this place? I know I want to go to a beach and to the Swizzle Inn and to the perfume place (and maybe the caves if I can fit that in too) but not sure where everything is so not sure which bus or how to get there.

It moved from Baileys Bay, near the Swizzle Inn several years ago. It is now located in the town of St.George.

St. George is a small place and you can see and do a lot of different things because it is so compact. The Perfumery is located on Queen Street in Stewart Hall. From King's Square, where town hall is, take a left onto Duke of York Street. At St Peter's Anglican Church, take a right on Queen Street. Up the hill about 100 feet, on the left is the Perfumery. You can take a guided tour, which explains how perfume is made. They also have samples for you to try and smell in the display area. The perfume is priced reasonably and makes an attractive souvenir or gift. I don't think they blend the perfumes to your own personal taste however. Behind the Anglican Church is a graveyard with an panoramic view of the docked cruise ship. There is also an immense piece of driftwood Bermuda Cedar that creates a great photo as well. In King's Square is located a museum featuring the history of Confederate Blockade runners during the Civil War. It is very interesting and informative. From the square you can take either a taxi ($6-7) or a minivan (each $3) to Tobacco Bay or St Catherine's beahes. These are the pretty, pink beaches you see in the travel brochures. They both have snack bars, rentals and facilities. In between the beaches is Fort St. Catherine. The Swizzle Inn is a couple of miles from the square. You can take the number 3, 10 or 11 bus. The 10 and 11 go right by the Swizzle Inn and continue on to Hamilton. You could also get off at Grotto Bay and see the caves there but I think the Crystal Caves are easier to get around. You could walk to the Crystal Caves from the Swizzle Inn or take the number 3 bus. I would recommend doing the caves as early as possible (9 AM or so) as they get crowded quickly. If you see the caves first, then you could go to the Swizzle Inn for lunch. The seafood chowder is good, about $5 and an excellent hamburger is only $8. All these attractions are close together, and you could do them all in one day, if you are reasonable about budgeting your time :)

From the square you can take either a taxi ($6-7) or a minivan (each $3) to Tobacco Bay or St Catherine's beahes. These are the pretty, pink beaches you see in the travel brochures. They both have snack bars, rentals and facilities. In between the beaches is Fort St. Catherine.

Huh? Tobacco Bay and St. Catherines are not the pretty pink beaches in the travel brochures. If one wants a pretty pink beach after doing the Caves and Swizzle I would suggest John Smith's Bay.

Huh? Tobacco Bay and St. Catherines are not the pretty pink beaches in the travel brochures. If one wants a pretty pink beach after doing the Caves and Swizzle I would suggest John Smith's Bay.

Charles, I love John Smith's Bay. It is my favorite beach in Bermuda. It is very similar to Tobacco Bay with the backdrop of the reefs. The advantage of John Smith is that is usually never crowded. Actually, a few years ago, Tobacco Bay was on the front page of a Norweigan Cruise Line brochure on Bermuda cruises. LOL. St. Catherine's is wider and longer than Tobacco Bay but both would give Kaws a taste of the famous Bermuda beaches, especially if a first timer,with only a day to spend. Horseshoe is definitely the panoramic, pretty pink beach in all the brochures. But I am infering that Kaws is trying to stay in a tight circle of the St. George area to minimize traveling, possibly due to time contraints. If they have time or a few days, you and I could definitely recommend other beaches and attractions for them to see. Without a lot of specific information we have to infer from the questions and answer as best we can without more detailed information. By the fact that they are located in Bermuda, all the beaches to me are pretty and pink. There is just something special about them that lets you know that you are in Bermuda not Cape Cod or the Carribean.:)

By the fact that they are located in Bermuda, all the beaches to me are pretty and pink. There is just something special about them that lets you know that you are in Bermuda not Cape Cod or the Carribean.:)

I did not feel there was anything special about those two beaches. And they are not as clean, and the water is not as clear as on the South Shore beaches. I hope they are not dumping waste water in that area. The only reason I go to back to Tobacco is that the snorkeling there is pretty good. St. Catherine I would not return to at all. The South Shore beaches are special and the other beaches I have seen don't compare .

I am infering that Kaws is trying to stay in a tight circle of the St. George area to minimize traveling, possibly due to time contraints. If they have time or a few days, you and I could definitely recommend other beaches and attractions for them to see. Without a lot of specific information we have to infer from the questions and answer as best we can without more detailed information. By the fact that they are located in Bermuda, all the beaches to me are pretty and pink. There is just something special about them that lets you know that you are in Bermuda not Cape Cod or the Carribean.:)

This is true. We have (sadly) only the one day in Bermuda (8 to 5). If we can do the Caves, lunch at Swizzle Inn, hit the perfumery and maybe get some beach time in (perhaps John Smith's Bay) I'll be a happy cruiser.

If you have any other suggestions for the day that might be a better choice, I'd love to hear them as well.

If i had a choice beaches or perfumery i would certainly hit the beaches. the perfumery is small and you really do not need much time there (my opinion and i know everybody has one) seriously we were there less than 30 minutes.

Dear Writeratsea, pch and janetjulie,

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your information! My DH and I, along with some friends of ours are headed to Bermuda in July, and CAN'T WAIT!! :D We were definitely interested in doing the Perfumery and the museum that featured the Confederate blockade runners, and unfortunately our time will be very limited in St. George. I think we're only going to be docked there for about 5 hours. It's nice to know that the perfumery can be done pretty quickly (if I can just make up my mind in a short time as to what perfume I want to bring home :eek: ). Thanks again, for all of your all's suggestions!

Melinda

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for your information! My DH and I, along with some friends of ours are headed to Bermuda in July, and CAN'T WAIT!! :D We were definitely interested in doing the Perfumery and the museum that featured the Confederate blockade runners, and unfortunately our time will be very limited in St. George. I think we're only going to be docked there for about 5 hours. It's nice to know that the perfumery can be done pretty quickly (if I can just make up my mind in a short time as to what perfume I want to bring home :eek: ). Thanks again, for all of your all's suggestions!

Melinda

Your Welcome. This site will be a big help to you as the posters here are very experienced and helpful. A couple of other tidbits. When you visit the Confederate museum, remember that it closes at 4 PM. You can also buy a silver foil embossed copy of the Great Seal of the Confederacy, which is pretty neat for only $5 and it comes matted. There is also a shop next to town hall which sells rum cakes and blown glass (fish and vases etc.) which are great souvenirs. This is owned by the same stores that are in the dockyard. Next store is another shop that has t-shirts and related merchandise. We bought some Bermuda themed trays and put them up on the shelf to remind us of our upcoming cruise. Prices were very reasonable. There is also a little mini mall with some nice shops near where the ship docks. I think it is called Somers Wharf mall or some such. There is also an excellent internet cafe with good coffee next to this mall behind the liquor store on Duke of York Street.:)

This is true. We have (sadly) only the one day in Bermuda (8 to 5). If we can do the Caves, lunch at Swizzle Inn, hit the perfumery and maybe get some beach time in (perhaps John Smith's Bay) I'll be a happy cruiser.

If you have any other suggestions for the day that might be a better choice, I'd love to hear them as well.

Because of the travel time, I think you have to make a choice between the caves and John Smith Bay. Given a choice I would go for John Smith Bay, taking the number 1 bus from either St George or from Hamilton. On the way back you could stop at the aquarium, near Flatts. It is very clean and a nice, relaxed change of pace. From there you could hit the Swizzle Inn for lunch and check out the ice cream shop accross the street. If you were determined to try the caves you can still do that as they are near the Swizzle Inn. At that time of the day, the caves are crowded. It takes time for them to bring groups in and out, so it can be slow. Once back in St. George you can see the perfumery, the Confederate museum (closes at 4 PM, see it first) and some shops I mentioned in a prior post. You can do all of this if you buy a bus pass. The cost for one day is $12 for adults, kids under 5 ride free and 5-16 have a discount. You get unlimited use as you can get on and off as many times as you want. Hope this helps.:)

Thank you. This sounds like a lovely day. I would rather see the beach than the caves to tell you the truth anyway. I've printed off your posting to me so that I'll have my own little "guide" while in Bermuda. You've been very helpful.

Thank you. This sounds like a lovely day. I would rather see the beach than the caves to tell you the truth anyway. I've printed off your posting to me so that I'll have my own little "guide" while in Bermuda. You've been very helpful.

Taking the number one bus to John Smith's bay from St. George will also give you a different view. You will go along Harrington Sound through Tucker's Town, a wealthy area of Bermuda people seldom see. The bus goes right through the golf courses and is quite a spectacular ride. Just tell the bus driver that you want to get off at John Smith's. When you leave the beach just cross the road (South Road), down the hill about 200 feet to Harrington Sound Road. At the bottom of the hill, turn right, there is a bus stop where you can catch the number 3 bus to the Aquarium. You need to take the bus heading towards Hamilton, make sure the pole at the bus stop is pink, which tells you the bus is heading towards Hamilton. (If the pole is blue, you are going away from Hamilton). If you have time, to the left of the bottom of the hill is the Devil's Hole aquarium. It used to be a cave, but during a hurricane the top blew off leaving a natural water hole. The fish can swim in, but can't get out. You can feed the fish with hookless lines. They also raised giant turtles from hatchlings and they are amazing to see. It is an interesting stop before the aquarium. You take the 3 bus until you get to Flatts, and get off for the aquarium. Take a 10 or 11 bus to get to the Swizzle Inn. After lunch and/or ice cream take another 10 or 11 bus back to St. George to finish the day. Everything I mentioned in St. George is within walking distance, and you are close to the ship, so you don't have to worry about missing it. Enjoy your time in Bermuda. But you will be so enraptured by Bermuda and all you didn't have time to see, hat you will be back.:)

That last post sounds like something we really want to do. So if we are docked in St. George.. just follow the instructions and we can go all those places?? John Smith's, the natural aquarium and the Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo? I would LOVE to feed the fish and see the turtles!

Would this be a full day, ending back in St George?? And we could walk there to the beach and stuff??

I have printed off alot of info from these boards and now have to admit that I have so much about bus routes and where to go that I am confused.

It all sounds so wonderful. I am so happy we are in St. George for 3.5 days and can see alot.

That last post sounds like something we really want to do. So if we are docked in St. George.. just follow the instructions and we can go all those places?? John Smith's, the natural aquarium and the Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo? I would LOVE to feed the fish and see the turtles!

Would this be a full day, ending back in St George?? And we could walk there to the beach and stuff??

I have printed off alot of info from these boards and now have to admit that I have so much about bus routes and where to go that I am confused.

It all sounds so wonderful. I am so happy we are in St. George for 3.5 days and can see alot.

Last year, on our trip to Bermuda, we did that itinerary on Tuesday. The key is having a transportation pass. It gives you unlimited use of the ferries and buses, allowing you to get on and off as many times as you want. At the end of the day we even went to the street festival in the square in St. Georges. Since you are docked 3 1/2 days you have the time to do many similar trips. On Wednesday, we took the ferry from St. George to the dockyards. We explored the Maritime museum, saw Dolphin quest, the commissioner's house, clocktower mall which has the glass blowing shop and the rumcake factory, an arts and crafts section but didn't have time to try the Sedgeway. We took the slow ferry back to Hamilton, it stops in all the small, out of the way places and you get a real view of the entire Hamilton harbor. From Hamilton we took the number 7 bus to Horseshoe Bay, Gibbs lighthouse, Elbow beach and switching to the number 1 bus at the hospital, back to John Smith's Bay again. Took the number 1 bus back to St. George as it goes through the golf courses in Tucker's Town. Wednesday night, we took the bus back to Hamilton for the Street Festival. On Thursday we took the number 6 bus, but not the regular one, we took the special. This is the bus that is not on the schedule, the vistor's bureau told us the times, to Clearwater Beach on St. David's Island. Like John Smith's, this beach is also uncrowded. It has nice sand, a terrrific playground for kids, facilities and a snack bar. It is located right next to the airport and it was interesting to watch the planes fly in over the reefs with St. David's lighthouse as a backdrop. Since they are coming in for a landing, they are only a few hundred feet over your heads. Obviously some amazing photos. You do need to wear crocs as the beach has patches of rocks between you and the water. This beach used to be exclusively for the military personell on the base, but with the base given back to Bermuda, it is now public and little known.

We did walk to Tobacco Bay from the square but it is a long, mostly uphill walk. The walk back would be much easier as it is downhill. So either use a taxi ($6) or the mini bus ($3 each) going to the beach and walk back, so you can stop and see the unfinished church. I hope this gives you some more ideas without confusing you further.:)

OK lets see if I got this right. When I look in the tour book and see the Bermuda Perfumery on the map in the same area as the Bermuda Pottery and the Crystal Caves. It is no longer there as a place to visit?

If we are interested in the Perfumery we really want to see the Bermuda Perfumery and Gardens while doing a walking tour in St. George?

OK lets see if I got this right. When I look in the tour book and see the Bermuda Perfumery on the map in the same area as the Bermuda Pottery and the Crystal Caves. It is no longer there as a place to visit?

If we are interested in the Perfumery we really want to see the Bermuda Perfumery and Gardens while doing a walking tour in St. George?

Correct, as previously stated in this thread the perfumery has moved from Baileys Bay to Stewart Hall in the town of St. George.

Also the only pottery place I have seen is at the Royal Dockyard. I have never noticed a pottery place in Baileys Bay area. How old is that guidebook?

Hi Charles4515 thanks again for the info.

The tour book I am referencing is Fodor's which says it's last publishing date is 2007. The map I was looking at is on the last page of the book. I guess the editors of the maps are not keeping up with the changes. The written articles appear to have it right but it seems that the maps are not updated.

The tour book I am referencing is Fodor's which says it's last publishing date is 2007. The map I was looking at is on the last page of the book. I guess the editors of the maps are not keeping up with the changes. The written articles appear to have it right but it seems that the maps are not updated.

Bermuda puts out really nice, useful, up to date, free fold out pocket maps. They will probably have them on the ship but if not you can pick one up in the terminal building at the visitor info center.

Melinda

Melinda - I believe you are in Hamilton for a couple of days before going to St Georges. It would be worth it to get a 1 or 2 day bus/ferry pass. If you want to spend more time in St Georges take the ferry from Hamilton to St Georges, it's a great ride!

Archived