Express Checkout Money Problems??

Hello, has anyone had any problems with too much money being taken from their visa etc., to cover cruise card charges at end of cruise? My niece has been back two weeks and money has only just come out this week and she says they have taken $500 too much..:eek:

I had no problems with too much money being taken out, but they did charge my account to my partner's credit card instead of the one I gave them! I still don't know how that happened....:rolleyes:

I think it was Chaz had them take a holding amount during the cruise and then still take the full amount at the end. That took a few weeks to sort out, if I remember correctly.

I had about $500 (in 3 seperate transactions) 'held' as a Visa Authorisations on my VISA Debit card, each one for 2 weeks after they were made (every couple of days on the ship). Each transaction took 2 weeks to expire. P&O are supposed to cancel these holds when they put the final transaction through on the last day - but they don't always do it. My parents used their Visa Debit card on the same cruise but didn't experience the same problem.

My bank said it was P&Os problem, but I got no satisfaction from P&O and eventually the holds 'expired' naturally.

I was going to ask if it was a Visa card that your niece used because we had a similar problem last year with a hire car. The hire car company held about $300 on our Visa and even though they claimed they released it as soon as the car was returned, Visa still didn't release it until another 2 weeks!!!

Tell your neice to contact the bank and ask them to get onto the people at Visa, as it's probably not a bank or a P&O thing, but an issue at Visa's end! It's amazing how fast it gets realeased when you scream and yell ;)

One lesson i've learned from that fiasco is that when someone says they'll need to take an 'imprint' of your card, ask them whether they're going to freeze any funds or just take the imprint first! We now ask that question first and it means the difference between booking with them or someone who just takes the imprint. Freezing that $300 for us was a killer because it was a big chunk of our hard earned spending money on that holiday :(

I was GOING to put my credit card down when we cruise next month.... Do you know suggest that I put down cash and then just use my credit card when I can (like for photos and gifts etc)... I cant afford to have them HOLD onto $300 (or any amount for that matter) for weeks after I come back....

Meg

I also experienced this on my last cruise,however mine was a mastercard.I nearly died when we got home and I checked my bank to find my card $1000 over the limit! P&O had been taking out a holding amount each day of the cruise as well as taking out the full amount at the end! It took nearly 2 weeks for the holding amount to be credited back to my account a little bit each day-I was not impressed:eek:

From what I've read it seems like the better option is to just use cash. I wasn't planning on using my card anyway but apart from express bill paying, what is the biggest difference between cash and a card?

Terry

I was GOING to put my credit card down when we cruise next month.... Do you know suggest that I put down cash and then just use my credit card when I can (like for photos and gifts etc)

Apart from express checkout, you can't use your card on board for anything, not even EFTPOS. There are no ATMs or EFTPOS facilities on board and the only way you can make purchases is with your cruise card.

Apart from express checkout, you can't use your card on board for anything, not even EFTPOS. There are no ATMs or EFTPOS facilities on board and the only way you can make purchases is with your cruise card.

You can use credit cards for purchases in the duty free shops on board the ships.

You can use credit cards for purchases in the duty free shops on board the ships.

Then I must have had an operator that didn't know what they were doing, cause all I could use was my cruise card.

Then I must have had an operator that didn't know what they were doing, cause all I could use was my cruise card.

Sounds like it. It's possible you couldn't use it at the time you were in there - I think the service is affected by satelite reception etc. We used credit cards to purchase duty free aftershaves on both Pacific Sun and Pacific Star. The only time we couldn't use it was on Pacific Sky, the shops on her only took Cruise Card.

I used the express service (mastercard) in April this year and could not have been happier. Gone are the bad old days of standing in a que for an hour or more waiting to settle your account. I will defiently use it again on our Xmas cruise:D

I could use my visa to pay for the shore tours and in the spa from memory...every thing else was on cruise card...but I could top my cruise card up with my visa!!!

We've never been able to use them for the shore tours, they've always been charged directly to the cruise card....

You weren't getting special 'favours' were you ;) ?????

Can you just present a wad of cash on arrival on your cruise ?- And use that ion cruise card as you go?

I like to save cash and holiday with cash and only use cc. when stony broke because my cc is always nearly up to ythe hilt anyway.

We were to cruise March 29 but our cruise has been canned-

Our first cruise now will be on Pacific Dawn 10 August 2008-

Long long time way unfortunately!

I used my mastercard on my cruise in April and the amount came out correctly and no problems with holds or anything else. I used the Lotus Spa etc and could only use cruisecard. This was on the Pacific Star but I think our Sun cruise was the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh I just worked it out... Didn't realise that the Pirate King was Chris!! I'm so slow!!! Now the comments make sense.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Thanks Chaz for pointing that out. Always good to know these things:)

Karen

Archived