"Old People" and Bad Reviews

Gunters Oma

Speaking as a 30 something with a young child, there are many 70+ year olds I would rather sit with at dinner than many of the 30 somethings I have met.

While some older folks can be grumps (as we have heard testament), many are very understanding and considerate of us whipper snappers and our young fry. They appreciate the job of parent of a young child. They might even smile and snicker at our parenting attempts (as long as we keep making those attempts when necessary), probably remembering what it was like when they had to stand a 3 year old on his head just to get his clothes on or how many times they have given an impromptu spit bath to a sticky faced yet adorable bundle of energy. They also know what battles to pick and when you should just sit back and enjoy the sea going by. Many have made a lot of lemonaid from the lemons they have been handed and know any day at sea on vacation is better than a day stuck at home.

Plus, as a rule, older folks also generally make better conversation. :D

I used to see the "A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work" quote on someone's signature block. I haven't seen that poster lately, but the sentiment is certainly my mantra!

As long as there isn't screaming and running in the passageways, my dh and I are fairly unconcerned about our fellow passengers. We cruise to be alone, escape phone and e-mail, and oh btw see some marvelous places on terrific ships. We joke that the only new names we want to learn are those of our stateroom and dining room stewards! Sometimes, that's what happens too! Other times, we do encounter some terrific people we are happy to have met and shared a drink and dining room conversation with.

Do I grumble sometimes - absolutely. As a poster above said, I'm polite but that doesn't mean I'm nice! My grumbling is generally short-lived when I put myself on my balcony, drink in the sea air, and gaze out at the waves . . .

Archived