Any Homer experts out there?

TeeBuccs

How about some recommendations for places to eat, nothing fancy, just looking for good food. Thank you

Duncan Diner - We had breakfast there--WONDERFUL blueberry pancakes. I've also heard lunch & dinner there are good, too. Certainly not fancy, but it's a "quaint" atmosphere where you can wear jeans or "whatever". ENJOY!

We went down to Homer and stayed Tuesday night at the Ocean House Inn - very nice and quiet with a view of the bay. If you like eggcrate mattress pads on the ships, you'll love the beds.

We did have dinner at Land's End for old times sake, since it's getting rather expensive to stay there.

On Wednesday we took the Discovery to (oh, joy, everything will now be in italics - oh, well) Seldovia.

We had a great tour over going by Gull Island and seeing probably thousands of birds, went by another nesting place with cormorants and saw sea otters. We had about 3 hours in Seldovia, and had lunch at the Tide Pool overlooking the marina. I was hoping to use the library for net access, but it was closed on Tuesdays, and the only other public computer was down.

That night we went back to Cooper Landing and stayed at a more typical Alaskan bed and breakfast - with sourdough pancakes that were the lightest we've ever had. :) :) :) Now we're home and it gets dark at night. Nancy

Now we're home and it gets dark at night. Nancy

LOL - hard transition isn't it?! :)

Now you mentioned stopping by Land's End for dinner (for old times sake) - mind me asking why you don't stay there? We are considering staying 2 nights next spring since it's on the spit and has incredible reviews.

Just curious....we want a nice place (not Motel 6 type...)

We don't stay there any more because it is getting really pricey. Something like over $200 with taxes.

If you do stay, get one of the balcony rooms in the not really old section, but not the newest either. The rooms are fine. We're just getting cheaper as we get older. The view from there is fantastic - we'd probably been there 4-5 times and enjoyed it. Nancy

I'm with Nancyquilts about Land's End (the hotel) portion and for more reasons than the price. The "kids" (the owner's kids) are now running the place. I have been a regular/loyal Land's End customer for the last 8 years. In fact, we liked the place so much we bought one of the condos in conjunction with other couples.

However, last year, FIL wanted to go fishing early in the year (DH usually fishes in late August/early September). So I made reservations in OCTOBER for an OCEAN FRONT room in the new section. Needed one of the first floor suites, as FIL has mobility problems. When we arrived, I was given a room on the SECOND floor. Not only did I not get OCEAN FRONT (with the neat little balconies that open to the ocean), but there is NO elevator.

I went to the front desk, pointed out my reservation for OCEAN FRONT (those are only on the first floor) and was basically told 'tuff. There was a literary group there the same time and THEY needed the rooms. I argued, I pleaded and got nowhere. After getting FIL and the luggage up the stairs, FIL would not leave the room, due to the pain it caused to get him up the stairs. So everything I had planned in Homer (FIL had never been to Alaska) went by the wayside. We even ended up eating in the room-take out food from Happy Face and the fish and chips place. NOT my idea of a good time.

The following day, I called the condo manager (our condo was rented) to find out why my reservation went by the wayside. He gave me an earful. He is the old hotel manager and is NOT happy with the way things are going. Evidently, "the kids" think their fortunes lie in catering to groups and to h*** with loyal customers.

I got NO compensation (not even a free drink!!!), no refund for my OCEAN VIEW room (about $35.00 difference) and nothing but aggravation from the front desk and hotel manager. As much as I LOVE the place and we can only have our condo about 20 nights during peak summer season (and have to pick the dates almost a year in advance), I will NOT stay in the hotel portion again.

Again, SeaLion is the next best place to Land's End hotel. The view is spectacular, the "landlord's" are very nice.

You may also want to look into one of the condos at Land's End. The one bedroom units are VERY nice and about $200.00 per night. http://www.landsendlodges.com/renters_info.htm

Do these rent out for just partial weeks or a few nights like a hotel does?

Yes

Do not expect hotel service in the lodges. There will be no daily room cleaning. The unit will be clean, with beds made up, etc. on the first day. After the first day, there is no daily cleaning (I think they offer the service, but you have to pay extra for it). And just like any "house type" vacation rental, the dishes have to be washed and put away, the trash taken out, etc when you vacate.

What about the tide pools in homer. We are staying in anchorage on friday night (have rental car) getting up fairly early 7:00 am. Maybe hit sat. market and then make our way down kenia penn. to be in homer by 1:00 or 2:00pm. Low tide is at 2:10 (+2.1)that day is there any way we will be able to see anything? I've never been to the ocean so i don't know if +2.1 is a good low tide or not. I read somewhere you have to walk 3 mile or something like that? We also would like to go to the island and ocean center and pratt museum? any help would be nice!!!!!We are staying at skyline bandb then leaving sun morn. to go to seward for sealife center and major marine tour.

What about the tide pools in homer. We are staying in anchorage on friday night (have rental car) getting up fairly early 7:00 am. Maybe hit sat. market and then make our way down kenia penn. to be in homer by 1:00 or 2:00pm. Low tide is at 2:10 (+2.1)that day is there any way we will be able to see anything? I've never been to the ocean so i don't know if +2.1 is a good low tide or not. I read somewhere you have to walk 3 mile or something like that? We also would like to go to the island and ocean center and pratt museum? any help would be nice!!!!!We are staying at skyline bandb then leaving sun morn. to go to seward for sealife center and major marine tour.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "tide pools in Homer". And walking 3 miles-to where???? If you mean Bishop's Beach-yes, it can be about a 3 mile hike. Bishop's Beach is the only really "safe" beach (not mud flats) to find tide pools other than getting on a boat to Halibut/Otter Cove or Seldovia.

The ocean SURROUNDS Homer. Do you mean can you go clamming at low tide? What do you expect to see??? Clamming is better around Ninilchik than around Homer. You need a fishing license for clamming.

Since you really only have one day to enjoy Homer, want to see the ocean center and Pratt museum, you will have to forget the market in Anchorage.

And you will most likely have to forget the hike to Bishop's Beach. Sorry.

It will take AT LEAST 4 hours to drive to Homer. And that is straight through, no stopping, with NO traffic. Remember, this is all two lane road, with lots of RV, pickups pulling trailers and boats and trucks. On Saturday morning, figure on about 5 hours.

The Homer Ocean Center is open 9-6 daily. The Pratt Museum is open 10-6.

One thing about the ocean/beach around Homer. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT walk out on the mud flats around the Homer Spit. It looks like beach-it is not. It is mud that can kill you. Literally sucks you in like quicksand.

For a great view of the ocean, go to the end of the Homer Spit. On the right is the park (with the fisherman statue). Just a little further (300 yds) on the left is the ferry dock. Right beside the ferry dock is a public fishing area. And right beside that is Land's End. You can walk the entire beach behind Land's End. It is public access from the ferry dock. You will get to see all the ocean you want. The beach from the ferry dock is rocky-no mud.

IMHO, the best time to be on the beach is about 7:00PM, when the fishing fleet comes in for the evening. Lots of excitement, lots of fish to look at and lots of locals to talk to. And early morning, behind Land's End, the otters feed. Quite the sight when they drag their rocks around to open clam shells.

Enjoy!!!

I think it was bishop's beach I had read about, not clamming just looking at trapped sea creatures on the beach. To many choices. Is sat market really good or just ok like flea markert

Saturday market (which is also open Sunday) doesn't really get started until almost 10am. There's a lot of good stuff to look at and buy, depending on what you want - everything from strung gems and other jewelry to hats to t-shirts to wooden carvings to beautiful photographs to local art, and on and on. Also all sorts of food for lunch.

Saying that, I would opt for an early start for Homer - there's nothing like it. Nancy

Archived