Any Homer experts out there?

TeeBuccs

We just spent 3 nights in Homer....excellent. Fished for Halibut and took a boat over to Seldovia. The spit is great. We saw lots of Moose; plus Momma and 2 babies. We even went to the movies at the quiant movie theater.

We ate breakfast twice at Duncan's diner- excellent.

To found moose- you can go to the marsh behind the airport, up East Hill Rd and then down West Hill Rd. or drive out to East End Road.

Ask away.

Have a bunch of questions and looking to find out who is comfortable sharing detailed information about Homer with me. I am planning on spending 2 nights/ 3 days there in May '08.

Thanks!

I love Homer, a beautiful destination and will be there again this July. Staying at the Ocean House Inn which I can personally recommend. Also there are bear tours available with some of the local air charters. I am going with Bald Mountain air to Brooks Falls. Also, there's sea kayaking which we will participate with too. Lots of Eagles to view in this area as well. Have fun in Homer.

We are spending 5 nights in Homer toward the middle of June, we are staying at the Sea Lion Inn. We also are booked with Diamond Cape Charters to do some serious fishing, I will gladly answer any questions when we get back.

Have a bunch of questions and looking to find out who is comfortable sharing detailed information about Homer with me. I am planning on spending 2 nights/ 3 days there in May '08.

Thanks!

Please list your questions. Will try to help. If you are thinking of bear viewing, you are REALLY early and for $500.00 or so pp, you may be VERY disappointed.

The bears depend on fish and the fish won't start running until the first of June.

We saw lots of Moose; plus Momma and 2 babies. We ate breakfast twice at Duncan's diner- excellent.

To found moose- you can go to the marsh behind the airport, up East Hill Rd and then down West Hill Rd. or drive out to East End Road.

Ask away.

I also recommend Duncan's Diner for breakfast--WONDERFUL, HUGE blueberry pancakes made with FRESH blueberries - YUM!!! :)

We stayed at the Sea Lion Inn, very nice, reasonable price. We saw a sea otter from our balcony early in the morning (through our binoculars).

Regarding the moose, please use caution and be very alert when driving. We almost hit a mama moose and her baby when they ran in front of our car, while we were on the highway, on our way to Homer. They came out of nowhere and we were going probably 45-50 mph. Got stopped just in time, thank goodness :eek:

I am really most concerned with finding good accomodations in Homer. I hear the Spit is where we want to be, is this correct? Hubby and I don't need super fancy digs but we are accustomed to having decent rooms with private bathroom (we are not typically the Motel 6, etc.. types).

I know going in late May/early June is early for bear viewing but folks told us that in Juneau as well. Last year when we were there we went to Pack Creek and actually saw quite a few. I am hoping that this is still applicable to Brooks etc.. I realize they won't be out in droves fishing (wish we could see that) but the July & August time frames don't work for our travel/work schedules. I have read about Emerald Air and another line that do bear tours - although costly, is there one outfit that is more reliable and conscientious about finding bears than another? Like in Juneau some companies we spoke with said "it's iffy" but the company we went with said "we do this for a living everyday, we know where to fly to find them, you will see some." And lo and behold they were right!

Also, I got some great leads with fishing so I can do research now. I will be anxious to read posts and reviews from folks visiting Homer soon. We will have a rental car and debating if we should stay in Homer an extra day or try to spend one night in Soldotna instead? Thoughts? I would love to see moose as well (last trip saw a few from a distance but not many) so the tips about the road behind the airport is a gem.

Finally, is it worth taking the Danny J over to the restuarant and hanging out over there for a bit? I see they do one day trip and one evening. Any whitewater rafting spots anywhere near this park of AK?

Thanks to all. I will try to think of anything additional that will help. You all are the BEST!

I am really most concerned with finding good accomodations in Homer. I hear the Spit is where we want to be, is this correct? Hubby and I don't need super fancy digs but we are accustomed to having decent rooms with private bathroom (we are not typically the Motel 6, etc.. types).

I know going in late May/early June is early for bear viewing but folks told us that in Juneau as well. Last year when we were there we went to Pack Creek and actually saw quite a few. I am hoping that this is still applicable to Brooks etc.. I realize they won't be out in droves fishing (wish we could see that) but the July & August time frames don't work for our travel/work schedules. I have read about Emerald Air and another line that do bear tours - although costly, is there one outfit that is more reliable and conscientious about finding bears than another? Like in Juneau some companies we spoke with said "it's iffy" but the company we went with said "we do this for a living everyday, we know where to fly to find them, you will see some." And lo and behold they were right!

Also, I got some great leads with fishing so I can do research now. I will be anxious to read posts and reviews from folks visiting Homer soon. We will have a rental car and debating if we should stay in Homer an extra day or try to spend one night in Soldotna instead? Thoughts? I would love to see moose as well (last trip saw a few from a distance but not many) so the tips about the road behind the airport is a gem.

Finally, is it worth taking the Danny J over to the restuarant and hanging out over there for a bit? I see they do one day trip and one evening. Any whitewater rafting spots anywhere near this park of AK?

Thanks to all. I will try to think of anything additional that will help. You all are the BEST!

I think the best accommodation with a great view, great location and very nice hosts is the Sea Lion. Book very early-there are only two rooms. http://www.sealiongallery.com/cove/

I have gone with Emerald Air. I wouldn't again. We spent more time flying around than watching bears. You will NOT want to go to Brooks. The bears just won't be there. The bears go to Brooks for the fish. And the fish won't be there either. Just too early.

My recommendation, as usual, is Hallo Bay. The owners live there ALL summer. They open the camp about May 15. They know where the bears are. If you have the time, the 2/3 day camp stays are well worth the money. http://www.hallobay.com/

The Danny J day trip is a lot of fun and worth the time and money. The Saltry restaurant has very good food.

The dinner cruise to the Rookery restaurant is another option. http://www.ottercoveresort.com/rookery.htm

And the day trip to Seldovia is another fun thing to do. Very artsy little town. Take the tour, not the water taxi. The dock is about 8 miles into the town of Seldovia. So you have to find transport into town if you take the water taxi. But all three day trips take the same route, so you REALLY only need to do one. Being out on Katchemak Bay is what it is all about. http://www.centralcharter.com/Seldovia.htm

DH fishes in Soldotna. And the moose are THICK east of the Fred Myers store. Whether you want to devote an entire day to Soldotna??? If you don't fish, not a lot to do, IMHO. I like the town, but like Homer a whole lot more.

Hobo Jim frequently plays in Soldotna. If you get a chance to see a performance, do it. http://www.hobojim.com/

We have business in Homer, have a summer home there and DH goes to Alaska for fishing every year. We are very familiar with the area. If you need further info, please post.

We tried to book at the Sealion Gallery - their south room looks awesome - but were too late for our date. We did book at the Ocean House Inn which is almost to the spit. I can let you know how that is after Tuesday. We are planning to take the Discovery to Seldovia on Wednesday if it isn't raining too much. So far the weather has been fine this week. Nancy

Please let me know what you find out in Homer and how your day trip to Seldovia was. We are booked in Homer June 18 - 21 at a Bed and Breakfast. The view from Land's End at the end of the spit is great but so are their prices.

Greatam: Is Hallo Bay something to do for a day trip or half day? We will not be doing any fishing just sightseeing with my 84 year old father who can't do extensive walking.

Also, does the charter tour to Seldovia include the ride to town and which one do you recommend?

Thanks so much for the help.

Question about the Soldotna excursion, is this similiar to the rookery tour? We are taking the rookery dinner tour and I was wondering if I would book the Soldotna tour it will be the same thing. I am looking for something for myself to do while husband is fishing all day, any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Please let me know what you find out in Homer and how your day trip to Seldovia was. We are booked in Homer June 18 - 21 at a Bed and Breakfast. The view from Land's End at the end of the spit is great but so are their prices.

Greatam: Is Hallo Bay something to do for a day trip or half day? We will not be doing any fishing just sightseeing with my 84 year old father who can't do extensive walking.

Also, does the charter tour to Seldovia include the ride to town and which one do you recommend?

Thanks so much for the help.

Hallo Bay is strictly bear viewing. 5 hour and 8 hour trips available. You may walk up to 2 miles to see the bears. You will need to have two days available for bear viewing-a cancellation is possible due to fog in Homer. If the planes can't get out of Homer by about 10:00AM, they book you for the next day.

The TOUR to Seldovia includes the ride to town (at least it did last summer). The water taxi's leave you at the dock. There is a "taxi" (someone who gives rides to town) and there are bicycle rentals. But it is about 8 miles.

Question about the Soldotna excursion, is this similiar to the rookery tour? We are taking the rookery dinner tour and I was wondering if I would book the Soldotna tour it will be the same thing. I am looking for something for myself to do while husband is fishing all day, any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

I think you mean Seldovia, not Soldotna. Soldotna is about 75 miles NORTH of Homer. Seldovia is a little artist colony on the west side of Katchemak Bay.

The Rookery dinner cruise, the Danny J/Saltry tours and the Seldovia tour all go through the same waters. And most go around Gull Island. Where you end up is the difference. Rookery is in Otter Cove, Danny J/Saltry is in Halibut Cove, and Seldovia is a town by itself. The Seldovia tour is not dedicated to a restaurant, as the other two are. If you want to see the artist' studios, then go to Seldovia. If that doesn't interest you, hiking/bike riding is about all there is to do there, besides enjoy the spectacular scenery. I take one of the trips every year just to go out into Katchemak Bay and see the otters and the scenery. Dinner or the artist studios is just a bonus.

Things to do: I can spend HOURS in the bookstore (and a lot of money). VERY good selection of Alaska books, as well as lots of "new age" stuff. Remember, Homer is a leftover, 1968 hippie town. Maybe that is why I feel so at home in Homer (1970 UCLA graduate). http://litsite.alaska.edu/akbooksellers/homer.html

The Homer Ocean center-interesting for a few hours

Pratt Museum-I think the quilt exhibit is especially interesting

Safeway-I know this sounds weird, but as well as food, they have a large selection of Alaska stuff-books, souvenirs, t-shirts. Kind of jumbled up and it kind of looks like a swap meet at times, but some very good prices on stuff.

The Post Office-more REAL Alaska products than a lot of the gift stores. They have some really great framed postmarks from special days in Alaska. Last summer, they had a framed collection of bear postmarks from all over the state. Really nice and VERY Alaska.

The drive out East End Rd. Drive as far as you want. The scenery is incredible. Lots of places to pullover. Stop at the Fritz Creek grocery-total 1968 throwback-hippie skirts and all. Some of the best bakery products I have ever eaten. The baklava is to die for. And the soups are thick and rich.

The community bulletin board reminds me of the Free Press office in LA in 1968.

Lots of shops on the Spit to spend time in.

Since the men are fishing a lot, why not take a day trip to Hallo Bay??? You will have an experience no one else will.

Enjoy!!!

greatam - thanks for the info about things to do in Homer, :)

vbf2girls - Central Charters books the noon cruise to Halibut Cove, which goes by Gull Island. Their 5 p.m. cruise to Halibut Cove is purely transportation and does not go by way of Gull Island: http://www.centralcharter.com/HalibutCove.htm

Central Charters also books the 6-hour Seldovia cruise that goes by Gull Island: http://www.centralcharter.com/Seldovia.htm

Homer Ocean Charters does the Gull Island Lunch Cruise at the Rookery Restaurant at Otter Cove. If you go there for dinner, you're just getting transportation and no visit to Gull Island: http://www.ottercoveresort.com/rookery.htm

We're using a Toursaver coupon for the Gull Island Lunch Cruise on June 17th.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I especially love the book store idea, I live to read! It is my favorite pastime so I will be checking out the book store. And I can relate about the "hippie" era, man that really dates us!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I especially love the book store idea, I live to read! It is my favorite pastime so I will be checking out the book store. And I can relate about the "hippie" era, man that really dates us!

When you go to the bookstore, get the book "Two Old Women". And get a couple more copies for your female friends. An inspiring story for women.

I think the best accommodation with a great view, great location and very nice hosts is the Sea Lion. Book very early-there are only two rooms. http://www.sealiongallery.com/cove/

*** I will look into this one - sounds pretty cool, thanks!***

My recommendation, as usual, is Hallo Bay. The owners live there ALL summer. They open the camp about May 15. They know where the bears are. If you have the time, the 2/3 day camp stays are well worth the money. http://www.hallobay.com/ ***This doesn't have to be an overnight trip to be worth it, does it? I see there are day tours, are they generally successful at bear viewing for a few hours?***

DH fishes in Soldotna. And the moose are THICK east of the Fred Myers store. Whether you want to devote an entire day to Soldotna??? If you don't fish, not a lot to do, IMHO. I like the town, but like Homer a whole lot more. *** Does your husband have his own boat or charter directly with someone? I have read that Soldotna is good like Homer for halibut fishing. We went salmon fishing last summer, this year we want halibut so looking for any reliable charter names. Also, to catch the glimpse of moose, is it early in the morning or just pretty much anytime of day?***

Overnights not needed in Hallo Bay. Overnights only if you want two/three days of bear viewing and want to live among the bears.

DH has a boat that he uses in the Kenai River for King/red salmon fishing. It is a bass fishing type boat, NOT an ocean going vessel.

I posted what I believe are the BEST of the BEST for halibut fishing. They are all out of Homer. A couple of guides out of Soldotna offer halibut/salmon combo trips. And guess what-the halibut fishing is out of HOMER.

Soldotna is NOT on the ocean. The town of Kenai is, but it is 10 miles from Soldotna. You have to get to Cook Inlet (ocean) to get to the halibut. If it was my trip, I wouldn't even try to arrange halibut fishing out of Soldotna. I have never heard DH even mention anyone halibut fishing out of Kenai.

As far as the moose around Soldotna-I have ALWAYS seen them early in the morning (no later than 10:00AM). However, I have also seen them sporadically in the daytime. You will see the most moose early mornings and at dusk. They feed then-the rest of the time they find a shady spot and stay put.

Just a suggestion: On your last days in the area, leave Homer early evening-maybe about 5. Drive to Soldotna (about 2 hours with traffic). Rent a place on the river for the night, preferably one on the road east of the Fred Myer Store (E. Redoubt Ave). Try to catch a Hobo Jim performance if he is in town.

Get up early and enjoy the moose. They are absolutely thick down that road.

Archived