PG Watersports Platform

Just wondering how the watersports platform works. The RSSC website says it is used for kayaking and waterskiing. Is that true? Do you just show up and go or are advanced sign-ups required? Is it only in certain ports? Sounds great but I'm wondering how much it's really available.

Generally, the sports platform is INTENDED to be available anytime the PG is anchored. However, the Captain first must decide that the sea conditions are safe for its use before it is placed into operation. Because the PG docks inside protecting reefs at most islands, high waves aren't usually a problem. But strong currents that sometimes occur in these waters are a problem at times.

Thanks,

Richard

During our 10day, the watersports platform was in use 8 days (one day we were docked in Tahiti and the other was during Taha'a, all the marina staffs was at the Motu). We didn't do any waterskiing and it seems to be quite easy to book. The Kayak is your for an hour, if you come back to the marina at the end of your hour and nobody wants it, then you can keep it for another... I think the marina is the best part of the cruise, all this activity right off the ship and FREE! I saw the marina staff teaching some people windsurf also, if you are interested to learn.

Wow, sounds great! That's just what I was hoping. With 2 teenagers I'm glad that there'll be some activities to keep them busy, and for free, what better? Thanks for the info.

Waterskiing is a bit more restricted than some of us would like, whereas kayaks appear to be available any time the marina is open.

On our Cook Islands cruise and our Marquesas cruise, both of which visited most of the Society Islands as well, waterskiing was available only at Rangiroa, Motu Mahana and Moorea. According to Anke (the ski goddess and driver of the one and only ski boat) it's only ever offered at these islands.

You must sign up for it, and you can't do that until the day before in each case. Ski sessions are only 15 minutes (bummer!) per person. The way to get more time is that a (secretly) non-skiing family member signs up as well, then goes along for the ride. Thus, the skier gets the non-skier's time slot as well as his or her own.

They use a zodiac for skiing, not a proper ski-boat as you would have on a lake or river. It's big and fat, not very fast, and it leaves a heckuva wake. It's perfectly skiable, but scooting back and forth across that wake can be challenging for amateurs. Anke is a great coach, however, so she'll have everyone bouncing along in no time. She's also very safety-conscious and, thankfully, strong...so she can haul you back into the boat when you're just too pooped to climb over the gunwhale (or whatever it's called). Both slalom and double skis are available as well as mandatory life vests.

Of course, the marina is also the departure point for zodiacs taking scuba divers on their underwater expeditions.

Archived