Tequila on Board

eponym

Anyone know the best quality Tequila on board ships like the Paradise?

We don't drink but want to give a very nice gift of bottle of Tequila to the family that is sitting our young and crazy Boston Terrier while we are cruising.

If not available for purchase on board, any top shelf Mexican Tequila suggestions that might be had in Ensenada Port?

Much appreciated.

EPO

I was never much of a Tequila drinker until I tried this stuff in Cozumel and became hooked on it!

I have a bottle, so I can actually remember the name lol.

The bottle has this one it:

At the top (assuming the name) XtabentuN

towards the bottom it says Vallisoletano

It isn't a shooting or mixing tequila. It's best chilled and sipped from a wine glass. It has a mint foretaste with a fantastic honey aftertaste.

The only problem with it that I've come across is that since it's chilled and sipped, I tend to forget it's tequila and drink a "little" more than I should lol.

It's made in Cozumel I believe, but it may be available in Ensenada.

If you're not being much of a drinker, it'd be hard to find something without tasting it first. The important thing, if you do taste some, is the taste you have in your mouth as you exhale after tasting it. Not really the aftertaste, but sort of. (confused yet? You should hear me speak in PERSON! *shudder* lol)

I happen to have the brochure from the liquor store on board the ship.

Don Julio Anejo 750 ml - $49.95

Don Julio Reposado 750 ml - $39.95

Don Julio Silver 750 ml - $33.95

Milagro Silver - $24.95

Milagro mini 3 pks - $12.95

Cuervo Gold Tequila - $16.95

Dr. Toro - 4 x 32oz - $9.95

When I was in Cozumel, I purchased a bottle of La Cofradia Reposado tequila which I really like. It's a sipping tequila, too good to mix with anything.

I think I also saw some Patrone (sp) in the duty free shop on board. It is a high end also. It was about 25% below retail in the US. A little to rich for my blood, My friends are the Jose Cuervo Gold type.

Buy on on board liquor the first couple of days as the best sellers may sell out. They will hold the bottles for delivery the last night on board.

Be bought some rum (2) in the duty free shop (great shop 25$ blow ship prices) on the pier in Porta Rico while on the Liberty and they let up take it to our cabin which was different from the posted practices.

Babie,Judy and Doug

Thank you all very much for the information shared. I feel much more comfortable exploring the Tequila gift route now having some excellent choices/options to pick from.

Definately leaning towards the chill-it, "sipping" approach to a fine tequila. I think that will make an excellent gift not often thought of (or had) otherwise.

Cruise on!

EPO

Tequila is one of my favorite topics, so I’ll add my 2 cents. Most of these mentioned are available in the states, so make a trip to your local liquor or package store, and check prices. Milagro is decent for making margaritas … and the bottle is pretty. : )

Something unusual for gifts is Agavero a Tequila liqueur. It comes in a bottle shapped like an agave plant.

A good sipping tequila that won’t set you back a lot of money is Aha Toro Anejo. (red bottle w/artisan touches)

Xtabentun isn’t a tequila, it’s a Mayan liqueur that is usually served as an after dinner drink or added to coffee. It’s GREAT for settling an upset stomach. (wish I would have bought a bigger bottle … wasn’t sure I’d like it)

Here’s some of my favs you should be able to find in port.

Margaritas/shots:Chinaco Blanco, Sublime Joven, Milagro Silver,

Sippers: Cristeros Reposado, Aha Toro Anejo, Lapis Anejo, XQ Tequila Gran Reserve

Avoid: Mezcal - bleah!

Anyone know the best quality Tequila on board ships like the Paradise?

We don't drink but want to give a very nice gift of bottle of Tequila to the family that is sitting our young and crazy Boston Terrier while we are cruising.

If not available for purchase on board, any top shelf Mexican Tequila suggestions that might be had in Ensenada Port?

Much appreciated.

EPO

You can get a better deal on tequila in Ensenada. There is a Gigante store right off the main drag. They have everything they sale on the ship. At a much cheaper price.

We prefer Cazadores. It's produced with 100% blue agave. Goes down really smooth;)

• 1 year later...

We're not huge Tequila drinkers, but we did make a significant discovery in Cozumel two years back when we tasted Agavero - "El Original Licor De Tequila". I've seen it in Dallas at $75 / 750ml bottle. But in Cozumel it was $25 per. Straight up, or on the rocks. Delicious!

Second the comments on Agavero. It is best as an after dinner drink served in a cordial glass, or a small snifter and sipped.

100% Blue Agave is your key to good tequila. Silver (mostly clear) is aged the least, Reposado (darker) is aged a bit longer, and Anejo (darkest) is aged the longest. (Longer aging makes it more a sipping tequila than a mixing tequila.)

Note that Jose Cuervo Gold (Oro) has food coloring added to it to make it look like an aged tequila.:eek: But it is OK for mixing.

Archived