Private tours: confirmed with creditcard or only email confirmation required?

Hi,

Have never been on a private tour arranged through the internet?

Are creditcard confirmation(s) required for most of these tours or is a mutual agreement by email sufficient?

I don't like the idea of having to provide a creditcard number to a complete stranger, despite the great reviews on the forum. Just a matter of taking extra caution .... :o

We used Daniele at driverinrome.com and he did request a cc to book. I sent it in 2 different transmissions and 7 months before our cruise. He received it and sent confirmation and never used it and there was no un-authorized use.

Marcello in Naples asked only for e-mail confirmation but no cc. His policy may have changed since December.

We just returned and the three days we used these private tours were the best! I personally wouldn't do it any other way. We combined with people here on these boards and everyone we met was wonderful! We saw so much more than people we talked to who used other tours and it was much less expensive.

Hi, I haven't used them yet, but have arranged for 4 different private tours in the Med. for September. Two required a cc confirmation, and two did not. I sent the cc number by email in three parts and so far no problem. Be sure to ask what their cancellation policy[u/] is before you send it. Most only require 36 hours notice and also, if for some reason the ship doesn't dock, you will not be charged. They seem pretty fair to me. Ask them lots of questions until you are comfortable. Make sure you get a phone number to call. I think if you use people recommended on this board, you are going to be happy.

For those tours that required cc info, we asked for a fax number. After sending the fax we asked them to confirm receipt by e-mail. So far no problems at all. Credit card security programs have become sophisticated enough to flag usage overseas. If there is no indication you have traveled, the security folks will be calling you quickly for verification.

Out of our 6 scheduled Med private tours, only one asked for pre-payment, and that was actually in Lisbon. (not really the Med) I sent her a personal check and she returned it to me when we had our tour - then we all paid her individually.

We have 4 scheduled this year and again, only one of the 4 wanted a credit card number.

Marcello told us that he never asked for pre-payment from Americans - that he had never been "stiffed" and never expected to.

I always am amazed that *they* trust *us* that much to not ask for any verification when they have us scheduled for the whole day!

Happy Travels,

Carol

:D

Archived