Thinking of NCL

Yurick

Hello Everyone,

We are starting to plan our next cruise for January 2008. We have cruised with both Princess & Royal Caribbean. However, this time we will have a 10 month old baby in our group. And research indicates that with NCL, you only pay for gov't taxes on children under 2 years old. So, we are leaning towards NCL. However, I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with. Sure, I could call NCL, but I think your personal experience is more valuable.

Princess & Royal both have extra fees for the 'drink cards' and 'specialty restaurants'. How does NCL compare to this?

Princess & Royal both have all you can stomach buffets open almost around the clock as well as free room service delivery (plus tip). How does NCL compare this?

And does anyone know of any other cruise lines that do not charge 3rd person rates for children under 2 years?

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike

Hello Everyone,

We are starting to plan our next cruise for January 2008. We have cruised with both Princess & Royal Caribbean. However, this time we will have a 10 month old baby in our group. And research indicates that with NCL, you only pay for gov't taxes on children under 2 years old. So, we are leaning towards NCL. However, I have a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with. Sure, I could call NCL, but I think your personal experience is more valuable.

Princess & Royal both have extra fees for the 'drink cards' and 'specialty restaurants'. How does NCL compare to this?

Princess & Royal both have all you can stomach buffets open almost around the clock as well as free room service delivery (plus tip). How does NCL compare this?

And does anyone know of any other cruise lines that do not charge 3rd person rates for children under 2 years?

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike

Drink Cards (for soda) are $8.63 per day for the length of your cruise.

Specialty restaurants vary from FREE, up to $20 per person depending on the venue. They vary from ship to ship, so hard to give specifics unless you name a ship. Common specialty restaurant on most ships include Le Bistro ($15 per person).

Buffets on NCL are open for specific hours, but not 24 hours.

There is free room service menus as well. Its not an elaborate menu however, depending on your cabin class.

Not sure on infant rates across other lines, but that seems like it would be easy to research at each cruiseline website. :)

Mike,

yes, NCL is about the only line that offers only port charge and taxes to families traveling with kids under 2.

Yes, like all lines there is a soda card you can purchase.

3-there are several dining options on NCL, from the basic dining rooms to the upscale cover charge dining. RCI has a much higher sur charge than NCL, but I think Princess is similar. NO, the buffets are not open 24 hours, but you can always go to the Blue Lagoon (assuming you are cruising a ship that offers Blue Lagoon dining) I think you will find the dining choices much broader than on the other 2 lines you have cruised plus with a baby freestyle is a great way to cruise. It gives you flexibility, and helps baby eat when he/she is ready, not when the dining rooms are ready.

Room service, yes available 24 hours a day, best at sea? No way.

Hope this helps you some, enjoy.

Nita

Babies are no charge I believe, they were when we went.

They have free soda etc, perfect for young ones, have a nursery even. I have done enough Disney cruises to grow ears, now that the kids are growing we have moved on but you can't beat DCL for little ones.

Only one pay restaurant, if you want to hear more about them either pop over to the disney board or give me an email I will be happy to send you photos etc.

Archived