Sirius Satellite Radio in Eastern Caribbean

baseballdad

Just a note to say that we took Sirius on Miracle to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Tortola. We had reception at all three, clear as a bell in STT and SJPR, and a little intermittent leaving Tortola, mostly because of the course the ship turned on. The Reggae Channel was a sweet complement to the sailaway party we hosted on our wrap balcony on the Tortola Sailaway - watching those Virgin Islands recede into our wake...

We used a couple of long cable ties to secure the antenna to the balcony railing at various points around the wrap - set the boombox out on the balcony or in the stateroom, according to the weather. ..

Just a note to say that we took Sirius on Miracle to St. Thomas, San Juan, and Tortola. We had reception at all three, clear as a bell in STT and SJPR, and a little intermittent leaving Tortola, mostly because of the course the ship turned on. The Reggae Channel was a sweet complement to the sailaway party we hosted on our wrap balcony on the Tortola Sailaway - watching those Virgin Islands recede into our wake...

We used a couple of long cable ties to secure the antenna to the balcony railing at various points around the wrap - set the boombox out on the balcony or in the stateroom, according to the weather. ..

Glad it worked out for you!

We just got off the Glory (eastern) this morning. We also had good reception PROVIDING our port side balcony was facing the correct direction! We have had better luck when in the wrap-arounds!

Tom

maybe I should upgrade to a room with a window, or did you get reception in the interiro of the ship also?

There is ZERO reception without a view of the sky. You will have MARGINAL reception with your antenna near a window. It will TOTALLY depend on the position of the ship. A balcony is a great improvement, and a corner wrap-around = PRICELESS!

Tom

yep. without the two angles you can get with a wrap, you'd only get reception on half the cruise from New York - starboard side heading down south, and port side headed north. I had the ties set up at three positions along the rail, one middle aft, one on the corner (the most useful one) and one all the way on the side. For some reason, the one directly aft worked in all three ports.

I was most impressed that I still had reception during the transit when we were at the farthest point from land - well off the East Coast. With the decent reception in Tortola, I am guessing that you can get some kind of signal all the way down to St. Maarten...

Archived