What to use for Jellyfish stings?

ADB

Sea Water...do not rinse with fresh water!!!!! (Fresh water releases the venom) If you see any tentacles or stingers PULL them off, do not scrape them off. Then rinse throoughly with vinegar. Get to the ship asap for evaluation.

Vinegar is reportedly the best treatment. When my son got stung by a jellyfish on a snorkel tour, the tour operators did use vinegar. He tried the pee trick first, but said the vinegar worked better to stop the stinging.

If you google: What do I use for Jellyfish stings? you will see many suggestions. One point I found interesting was that you should not rinse the area with fresh water only salt water. You also need to remove the stinger first to stop the venom from spreading. Vinegar is the best choice. Here's one website that you might find helpful.

http://firstaid.about.com/od/bitesstings/ht/06_jellyfish.htm

A few years ago I got a horrible sting off the coast of Puerta Vallarta. Long story short, the boat operator used a credit card and scraped off the area while holding my arm and leg underwater. Then he wrapped my arm and leg in towels wet with salt water.

As soon as we reached Yelapa, and settled in at Rogelio's on the Beach for some lobster, they brought cut limes to the table...not for the cerveza! They rubbed them over my stings and I felt better.

I did end up with a hugely swollen arm and leg on the flight home. I went to the doctor and he gave me cortisone shots.

It took a while to recover and I still have scars from the experience.

Be careful!! Those boogers are clear and you can't even see 'em coming!

I've never seen any in the waters around Playa or Cozumel, though.

Jellyfish Stings Overview

from

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/jellyfish_stings/article_em.htm

Treatment of stings

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jellyfish

Jellystone sting

He was finally caught red handed during a police sting operation trying to hijack a convoy of Gregg’s delivery vans

from

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Yogi_Bear

Wow, I just saw a show tonight on Discovery about scientists who study the deadliest jelly fish in the world in Australia, they both got stung during the show, neither died thank goodness, but the first thing they did when they got back to the boat was pour vinegar over the stingers. I would also recommend taking 25-50 mg of Benadryl or generic in case of possible allergic reactions.

False

Q: Is it true that urinating on a jellyfish sting alleviates the discomfort? If so, who figured that out?

from

http://archives.stupidquestion.net/sq6704.html

True

If in an extreme emergency where nothing is available, urine will soothe the sting. But make sure to rinse with clean water afterwards. See Warnings regarding the urine treatment.

from

http://www.wikihow.com/Soothe-a-Jelly-Fish-Sting

At the beach in Antigua, my friend was stung numerous times by jellyfish that were so small, they were barely visable. The waiter (shouting.."no problem mon") from the bar saw he was in discomfort and came to his rescue with a bottle of local rum...not to drink! He poured it over the bites. It immediately took away the discomfort. Strange & new to me too, but, it did work!

May sound gross, but yep, pee will definitely temporarily stop the pain if you have nothing else handy. Happens around Ship Island here quite often.

Reminds me of the "Friends" episode when Joey had to pee on Monica.:D

The meat tenderizer works great and is easy to carry with you. We find it to be an excellent way to treat most kinds of stings. Make a paste with water and apply it to the affected area...the tenderizer draws the venom to the surface and helps with the pain.

As another poster mentioned, it is wise to have Benadryl or another anti-histamine product with you as you may encounter an allergic reaction after being bitten or stung. Just recently, on a visit to a friend's home, I developed a rash on my palms, neck and ears...my tongue was so swollen that I could hardly swallow. After taking an anti-histamine, the swelling went down and I was not so panicky. It turned out to be an allergic reaction to the dryer sheet my friend had used on her bed linens.

Needless to say, I don't go anywhere now without the Benadryl or a similar product.

you can also pee on it in a pinch, the ammonia in your urine will help it to stop burning.

In Boy Scouts we were told to pee on it so if in a pinch you make your own ammonia.

Have either of you actually tried this? I live on the ocean and have suffered a couple of jellyfish stings. And yes, I tried it once.

Peeing on the sting does not help. It makes it worse. It is an old wives tale.

Have either of you actually tried this? I live on the ocean and have suffered a couple of jellyfish stings. And yes, I tried it once.

Peeing on the sting does not help. It makes it worse. It is an old wives tale.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just saw you were Summerland Key - my hubby and I are 4 generation conchs from Key West.

The best bet for jellyfish stings is meat tenderizer, ammonia, vinegar and also lime. My spanish grandmother took to using bleach also although she believed in holding the part of the body in the salty ocean and scrubbing leg, body, arms down with the sand of the ocean - when I finally was allowed to leave the water, I didn't even have swelling so who knows, but hope noone has to find out the hard way which method works best - now you can get Sea Safe that helps warned off such stings.

Always

Shirley

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just saw you were Summerland Key - my hubby and I are 4 generation conchs from Key West.

Yea. I'm part of the Middle Class that hasn't been pushed out by economics or hurricanes............yet. ;)

I see you didn't go far. You're still driving distance from "home."

Sorry for off topic everyone.............

Archived