Viking vs. Uniworld in China

WIT

The Chicago Tribune's Alan Solomon took two China tours and compares them online at:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-070602china-storygallery,0,3959996.storygallery

Having done the somewhat different Viking Cultural Delights (w/Hong Kong add-on) tour this April I thought his criticisms of Viking accurate - the Peking Opera was sort of a 'budget' production in a hotel conference room. But we liked the lunches linked with factory showrooms since time is so limited we would not have had opportunities to see quality jade, bronze, silk, pearls or porcelain at the prices we eventually paid. (I like to bargain.)

Note also that the Uniworld tour comes without a river cruise. Some of our best experiences were on the boat (Tai Chi classes, tours of river cities, the Gorges).

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read. I wonder why he didn't do the Uniworld tour with the cruise included? I would rather read a comparison of nearly identical trips. Our Uniworld trip sounds just like the one he described but with a cruise on Victoria Prince thrown in. I wonder if his guide Li was the same "Lee" that we had?

He didn't mention the Viking trip to the school that they all seem to take. I felt like we missed out on that on Uniworld, but they must not do it all the time.

Interesting read. I wonder why he didn't do the Uniworld tour with the cruise included? I would rather read a comparison of nearly identical trips. Our Uniworld trip sounds just like the one he described but with a cruise on Victoria Prince thrown in. I wonder if his guide Li was the same "Lee" that we had?

He didn't mention the Viking trip to the school that they all seem to take. I felt like we missed out on that on Uniworld, but they must not do it all the time.

Amyr - I agree it its puzzling not to mention the visit to the school. We all felt our half day visit to Jingzhou was one of our strongest connections to ordinary people in China. The kids are all from poor farm families - eager, energetic & appreciative. I didn't know other cruise lines visited the school. We were told that foreign businesses wishing to work in the Chinese market had to partner with a Chinese firm or organization & that Viking partnered with two elementary schools by providing financial assistance. You can see photos and a video clip of the Jingzhou school at

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

I also agree the reporter should have done two river cruises. What tourist is going to cruise China TWICE in a short enough time frame to have a comparable experience?

WIT

Loved the photos! I had to LOL - I have a picture of the same noodle guy at the restaurant by the Terra Cotta Warriors. I think if the writer had done a cruise with Uniworld, the edge would have gone to Viking. We were on one of the Victoria ships, Victoria Prince, and your ship looked nicer. It also looked like your day was clearer in Chongqing - I took a lot of shots out the bus widow like you did, but they were too shrouded in fog to be of much use.

We went in March, and it looks like it was much warmer for your trip. We wore jackets nearly every day, but it looks like it was more crowded for your trip. I guess the advantage to March was that it seemed like we were the only tourists in China. The first time we saw any other tourist groups was in Beijing, and they were mostly Japanese.

It was a lovely trip, wasn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

Amy,

My husband and I leave next Sat on Uniworld...the posts have been mixed...do you think they run a good trip..this is our first time and I am nervous..we are doing Burgundy in France and Paris extension...any tips?

clothes? luggage?

Tina

I tried to click the link..but, it didn't show anything..

Any info..opinions...well appreciated!!

Tina & Dave

Tina & Dave - Sorry to lead you astray. I usually check links I post but was in a hurry. Here is one of many threads that came up when I did a forum search for the topics Uniworld and France:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463771&highlight=Uniworld+France

Good luck - it looks like a super trip.

WIT

Tina & Dave - Sorry to lead you astray. I usually check links I post but was in a hurry. Here is one of many threads that came up when I did a forum search for the topics Uniworld and France:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463771&highlight=Uniworld+France

Good luck - it looks like a super trip.

WIT

That made me feel so so much better!!!

Tina

Archived