Where should we spend more time in Naples i.e. Positano, Ravello, Amalfi Coast...etc?

We are planning in detail our private tour in Naples.

These are the places we will be stopping over. Where should we spend more time for

i) shopping eg. for souvenirs etc ?

ii) lunch i.e. Positano or Ravello hillside ?

iii) walk around ?

iv) spectacular view(s) ?

Planned stopovers:

a) Pompeii

b) Sorrento

c) Positano

d) Ravello @ Villa Cimbrone

e) Amalfi Coast

I think a major advantage of a private tour is that you have some flexibility. If you are in a place you really like, you can spend more time. And of course you could change your plans "on the fly." When you drive out of Naples towards the Amalfi drive, you will go near Pompeii.. which is one of those "don't miss" sites. You could spend hours touring the ruins.,.but its possible to rush through in under 2 hours. From Pompeii you might want to avoid stopping on Sorrento..and save the remainder of your time for the Amalfi drive and its related villages/cities. Positano is a lot of fun..but you will need to walk and climb steps to truly appreciate this picturesque village. Ravello is also a wonderful place and even Amalfi is worth a visit. And of course to truly appreciate the region. a nice leisurely lunch at a good restaurant would make it a great day.

Hank

I think the view from Ravello is better and that is where I would have lunch. Also a little less crowded. Depending upon how much you stop that will be a good bet for a late lunch. That assumes you are going to Pompeii on the way back to Naples and not on the way to Amalfi. The crowds are supposed to be a little less doing it that way. One thing you might consider seeing if you have a chance is the Emerald Grotto. It's along the Amalfi Coast and is real pretty. Doesn't take that long. My family enjoyed it.

Through our previous experiences I would also give Sorrento a miss and concentrate your time on Positano and Ravello as well as Amalfi which are all fascinating places.The views from the Villa Cimbrone and the Villa Rufolo in Ravello are fantastic.There are some small towns and villages near Ravello that are off the beaten track an are worth visiting. Get you driver to stop at the small village of Pontone to have lunch at a small place called the San Giovanni which has great views. I recommend Salvatore of *****.

While all the places are gorgeous.. I disagreee about giving a pass to Sorrento. We thought it was a great place esp. for those who like some fun shopping..people watching from restaurants ... it really fun there.

I agree. Sorrento is a must for shopping or just sitting with a coffee and people watching. Do make sure you allow plenty of time for Pompeii though, I think you need much longer than two hours.

Sweep

We booked with Salvatore of Driveamalfi.com based on recomendations on this website. We are very glad we did. It was a wonderful day. Even the 3 teens enjoyed it. My son still talks about the lunch and that is was our best meal of the 3 weeks. We saw so much and with Salvatore at the wheel we felt relaxed at the same time. He is a native of Amalfi so his insight to the area added to our day.

We decided to start with a tour of Pompei in the morning to avoid the heat and crowds. I definately recommend this route. Since time is so limited, we hired a private guide that Salvatore set up and spent about 2 hrs. there with her. We could've have spent more time , but didn't feel cheated at all. She covered all the important areas and was very knowledgable.

We stopped in Ravello, which was charming, bought some pottery that just arrived :D , had lunch at a local restaurant with delicious food and beautiful views. We drove along the coast stopping in Positano and a few overlooks for photo ops. We spent about 1 1/2 hrs in Sorrento which had some fun shopping and the best Gelato we found (and we tested it every chance we got :p ) I think setting aside a little time for Sorrento at the end of the day is worth it, since it is on the way back to Naples anyway.

Just don't miss the Amalfi Coast, it was a highlight of our trip.

Becky

Archived