Help! This itch is ruining my cruise!

Regal Eagle

Eagle, I hope that by now your wife is doing better with some resolution of her rash. I am a dermatology nurse and while it is very difficult to attempt to determine what the rash is, there are a few things you can do to help give her some relief. If this was an allergic reaction to the sun, detergent, etc. the rash would be in all areas that came in contact with that irritant. Poison ivy will appear often as very small blister like bumps (fluid filled) and often you can note a linear pattern to the rash (where the plant has brushed against the skin). Soaking in a tepid bath (hot water feels good at the time, but makes the itch worse shortly after) with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda several times a day for 15-20 minutes will help some with the itching. Antihistamines will help with the itching as well, but she should take them regularly not just once a day. Over the counter hydrocortisone MAY help a bit, but they are just not very strong and if this is a fungal rash hydrocortisone will make the symptoms worse, much like fertilizer. Perhaps the clinic on the ship has some stronger hydrocortisone creams/gels. The Prednisolone can help, but again it is a very light dose of steroids and she may have to repeat it or take a stronger dose of Prednisone. Good luck and again I hope that by this time, your wife is feeling much better!

Ask the Medical professional if it could be Bed Bugs.

:eek:

Greetings from the Crown Princess! We are having a great cruise, but my wife has an itchy rash that will not go away and seems to be spreading. Here's what she says about it since she cannot remember her CC password: "It started before the cruise and it was on my inside ankle. Since I've been on board, it has spread to my other leg on the inside knee. I went to the ship's doctor and she gave me Prednisolone, Chlorpheniramine, and Desloratidine. I have the anti-itch creams like cortizone already that I took along. I also take some blood pressure medicines but my dosages have not changed lately. It is a bumpy rash, very bright red and itches like mosquito bites. Can anyone help or tell me other info to give to the ship's doctor? Thanks."

Have you gone swimming in the Caribbean?

While on a cruise my family and I went swimming on a private island. After returning to the ship, my niece and I realized we both had an itchy rash. The ships doctor said it was "sea lice". I asked, "What is that?" He said it is some tiny creature that lives in the water in the Caribbean. Our mistake was to take a cold shower before returning to the ship. What the doctor recommended was a hot shower with soap. The sea lice bury themselves into your skin when the cold water hits them. After a hot shower with soap; I also used Benedril spray on the itchy rash and it went away.

Best of luck!

Thanks, Mimi, for your suggestions. My wife has had two good nights of sleep and the rash seems to be fading. It is changing from a bright red to more of a brown color. She thinks things are improving!

I tend to use homeopathic remedies for ailments that don't require a doctor's visit and/or prescription. Two suggestions for rashes/itching (tried and true): witch hazel and tea tree oil. If you have "Tucks" or "Preparation H" wipes :o with you, both have witch hazel and can be used as a compress for skin disturbances.

I'm glad to hear that the rash and it's uncomfortable symptoms are dissipating. I once had a very bad case of hives while away from home - allergic reaction to a medication that I'd been taking for about 72 hours. By the time I got to the emergency room (at home), my tongue was beginning to swell and I was practically dancing on the ceiling with anxiety :eek:

Be well.

Chris

Two things will help, since I personally encounter this on a fairly regular basis - but with me it was diagnosed as adult onset eczema - Benedryl gel, and Triamcinilone ointment. The ointment requires a prescription, but the gel is available OTC. Good Luck.

Eagle, I'm so glad to hear that your wife is doing better! :) The brown color is an indication that the acute stage is now ending. This discoloration is called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. It can stick around awhile, but should fade. One doesn't need to treat this discoloration as you would the rash, it's just the reaction of the body to/from the rash. I suspect your wife will notice it feels flat versus raised as the original rash was at this point. At any rate, I'm glad to hear she is feeling better!:)

I had exactly the same thing on my cruise on the Crown Princess just last week! It started after my first day in the sun and got red and itchy after each sun exposure but better in the evenings and on cooler days. I believe it was sun poisoning. It was completely gone two days after our return home.

I have heard this from other people before too. :)

Or the seafood reaction.

Archived