First Time Cruiser / Blackstone Glacier Cruise

RondaRed

I'm a first time cruiser going on Princess Sun on June 21st leaving from Whittier. I'm flying in day before to anchorage and taking the scenic train to Whittier. Princess is doing my air so I have no idea what time I will be arriving in Anchorage. I hope my flight leaves OKC early morning so that I don't arrive late, but it is at least an 8 hour flight.

Does anyone know what time I will leave Anchorage on the train to Whittier? What is the norm? Is it early morning?

I was also looking at the Blackstone Glacier Cruise Excursion out of Whittier. Would that be a good excursion? Has anyone done this one. Or would I be better served just getting on the ship and exploring. I guess in my mind it would depend on what time I arrived in Whittier if it would be a good thing or not. If I arrived late afternoon then it would probably be a good thing to just go to the ship. Any thoughts from anyone?

The first two days of the cruise goes to College Fiord and Glacier Bay. In Skagway I'm doing the white pass RR / Bus Combo tour and in Juneau I have booked with Captain Larry. I havn't booked anything in Ketchikan yet.

Thanks
Ronda

You don't say if you are taking the cruise contracted train which leaves in the after noon or the regular run of the ARR that leaves at 10am. For clairfication- on this portion- the train is the same as the bus route. With maybe an edge to the bus for the choice of seats- you want the passenger side coming from Anchorage. Seats are assigned on the train. You can have significant savings going on the regular ARR run $49pp. The glacier cruises out of Whittier give you great closer views of glacier. It is a good way to spend extra time in Whittier. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Budget Queen.

It is all through Princess so I assume it is the cruise contracted train. So that doesn't go until afternoon and it's what an hour and half train ride. The Blackstone Glacier Cruise is about 4 hours if I remember. So you think it would be worthwhile to take the cruise while in Whittier?

Thanks
Ronda

Check with the cruise line Ronda.. since they are offering the tour they should be able to tell you. Your TA can find that out if you can't get the answer directly. Since you are doing air etc. through the cruise line this sort of info should be available now. They are trying to coordinate all of these tours, trains etc.

Host Caroline
<font SIZE="1">[B]One can [I]never[/I] have too many days at sea...[/B]</font> [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas
Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

Archived