A brief review of Majahual Beach

bythehex

jean-lynd ....Really GREAT review! So glad you, nyny, bythehex, bruice-r (wonderful pictures), locorexx ... enjoyed your time at the beach in Majahaul as much as we did!!!

Like you, we made a big effort to explain what to realistically EXPECT in this review ... (SCROLL)(or just click here) Majahaul "The Little Fishing Village" OnOurOwn .... We LOVE being on the beach and shabby beach bars (with cheap plastic furniture) so it was perfect for us!!! (Knowing what to expect is very important ... some don't enjoy this sort of thing.... :rolleyes: )

robc .... You might want to take a taxi which is only $5 pp ROUNDTRIP. Why waste perfectly good "drinking time" ... walking? :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thanks! You're right, if people know what to expect, then they won't be disappointed. People need to remember that this is a small village in Mexico - it ain't Club Med. If you're expecting slick and developed, then you'll be disappointed with Majahual. If you expect that you'll be on a sand road with a small but breathtakingly beautiful beach, then you won't be disappointed. I don't know how anyone could look at that crystal clear aqua water and not be awed by it's beauty. Give yourself over to the mind set that you're ON VACATION, and have FUN!!

We did! I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Sharon H.

There is a path you can take to walk to Mahahual. It is at the left end of the pier area just past where they do the massages. We did this and really enjoyed it. This path takes you almost all the way to the beach. You do have to walk on the road for a little while. I have pictures that I took on the walk at http://community.webshots.com/user/jean_lynd. They are in the Voyager albums. I hope this helps!

About how far is the walk? Thanks,Mariann

Thanks! You're right, if people know what to expect, then they won't be disappointed. People need to remember that this is a small village in Mexico - it ain't Club Med. If you're expecting slick and developed, then you'll be disappointed with Majahual. If you expect that you'll be on a sand road with a small but breathtakingly beautiful beach, then you won't be disappointed. I don't know how anyone could look at that crystal clear aqua water and not be awed by it's beauty. Give yourself over to the mind set that you're ON VACATION, and have FUN!!

We did! I'd go back there in a heartbeat.

Sharon H.

I don't know why I am even taking the time to answer this post all I will say is that Majahual is a filthy, dirty, and an unapplealing place. I have traveled all over the world and have seen many a "breathtakingly beautiful beach". I would not take small children here and expose them to this filth. The pictures on this board do not show the whole story. I am sorry I did not take pictures myself.

I don't know why I am even taking the time to answer this post all I will say is that Majahual is a filthy, dirty, and an unapplealing place. I have traveled all over the world and have seen many a "breathtakingly beautiful beach". I would not take small children here and expose them to this filth. The pictures on this board do not show the whole story. I am sorry I did not take pictures myself.

It's said, "A picture's worth a thousand words." The fact is your visit was right after a major hurricane had visited Costa Maya. I've been to a lot of beaches in New Jersey and right after a hurricane they can be covered in all kinds of garbage too.:p

The beaches at Costa Maya are usually very nice, clean and the water is clean and clear.

It looks like I'll be there in a couple of weeks and will see for myself. Hopefully, it won't be right after a hurricane.

Reggie:D

Well meridith this shows that you have only been to places that are kept spotless for your money. We have a saying here- What you throw in the sea eventually comes back four fold. After Hurrican Ivan, it sent back the garbage deposited in the seas by us humans. Not only mexican garbage. I have seen garbage from Barbados, USA etc. I have even seen tourists from the cruiase ships just throwing their garbage on the beaches that we strive to keep clean for persons such as you. Please do not be quick to condemn when you are not in touch with the real facts. Mother nature is out there to test us everyday and if we abuse her she will throw it back at us. Just take a look at the photos of Florida after the 4 hurricanes hit there. I can guarantee there was a lot of garbage on their "pristine" beaches. Florida has the resources to create manage clean ups. This is only a small village and a clean up after a hurricane is a major major operation with limited resources.

Well I do not agree. This garbage was not the result of a huricane but the result of people who do not care enough about the environment in which they live to clean up after themselves. Being poor does not have to equate to being dirty. If you live in a shack on the beach you don't have to leave your garbage all over your front yard, along with rusty knives and decomposing fish guts. This is the same place that has two pitt bulls tied up, with fecal matter a plenty.

Think what you want, I visited Cozumel 20 years ago long before the "spotless for your money" beaches were developed. I was there for 10 days, there was no filth and no garbage.

It really is to bad, in fact the only reason I even booked this particular cruise was the stop in Costa Maya. I was very disappointed. My original post was basically to warn other parents who might think about taking small children to this location. If I was without kids and sitting at the bar with the swings, I may not have noticed much of what I was upset about. What I am willing to tolerate verses what I will expose my children to are two different things. They swallow water I don't etc.... They are attracted to tied up dogs I am not.

I have heard many reason why there was so much garbage, oil in the water, huricanes and etc. Maybe the Florida beaches are dirty post Huricane, but there are people to clean them up, they are not left dirty. I understand that this is a poor place, lets remember I dragged $100 worth of school supplies with me.

The bottom line is this if Mexico wants American $ they need do a bit more than build a Disney like port that charges way more than it should for simple t-shirts. If local vendors on the street want you to spend money than they should clean up the area around them. Of course travelers who do not know better spend spend and spend somemore..

Well Meridith, My suggestion is stay home and "Clean up your own back yard " as they say in American English.

You don't need to be so nasty, I am entitled to my opinion. In America its also called Freedom of Speech. Thanks for the suggestion though, but I will not stay home, and my back yard is clean. I will however avoid Mexico as a vacation destination, and spend my American money where the Islanders do not take it for granted.

You know, nitrogenaddict instead of defending the undefendable here on cruise critic perhaps you should take up the cause to defend the Coral from the stupid tourist. This seems to me much more worth while a cause. You could perhpas teach the tour operators how to teach/enforce snorkelers not to smash the Coral with thier fins. I saw this go on in every port we visited, the operators mostly just shrug thier shoulders and when it is pointed out to them, they make comments like "I can't control 25 people".

TTFN

I appreciate your comments. I am fully aware of the problem of coral damage. This is an ongoing battle with us who want to protect the seas and those ignorant of what they do. I have seen this in many different parts of the world as my job has taken me to many places. Mostly very poor or uneducated lands. We in the dive indusrty are busy trying to get the local government to enforce a protection program for the reefs. Unfortunaetly we are battling aginst foreign currency versus future heritage. There is an ongoing movement here to try to get our reef designated as a marine park but it is a very slow process. We also come to the point of education in other countries to try and protect what is our earth. Unfortunately there are only the few who think about this but the majority have no sense of what they are doing. This comes down to lack of education at home and abroad. The locals want to make a living without thinking of the consequences and then you get those who have more than the locals and fail to respect what they see. They just assume it is their right as they are better off than the locals to do what they wish. Unfortunately I have seen this every where I have worked in the tourist industry.

By the way my apologies for being so direct but sometimes I get upset over a lot of persons voicing opinions without having the full facts.

The place that shocked me the most was the Grand Cayman snorkeling. We took a common tour guide who gave very little explaination with regard to fins and snorkeling. They took us to a shallow reef near sting ray city and many of the snorkelers were upright kicking away at the coral. I observed the same thing in Belize. Sad very sad. People should educate themselves about snorkeling and Coral before taking the plunge if they want the reefs to be there for future generations.

I'm sorry that what Meredith experienced was less than perfect, but there's no need to attack her. Her opinions are based on what she personally experienced, and you should respect the fact that she feels very strongly based on what she observed. As a parent, she has every right to want to protect her children from what she perceives as being detrimental to their health or safety.

That being said, Mahajual beach is a fairly long beach area. My co-worker was there off the Explorer the very same week as Meredith, and I was looking at her pictures of a lovely, clean beach with clear water. Perhaps there was debris from a hurricane, or an oil spill & garbage, in one particular area, but it didn't appear to effect the entire beach. A picture is worth a thousand words, and having seen pictures from that exact same week I can't say that the entire beach at Mahajual was "filthy". However, as I already stated, that was someone else's experience, not necessarily the same as Meredith's.

You know, before the devastion of the recent hurricane, Grand Cayman was one of my favorite places. Yet, a family member went there (pre-hurricane) and hated it. Each person that goes somewhere experiences something different - that's pretty evident when you read ANY of the cruise critic boards. It's rare to find two people in total agreement about anything!

Sharon H.

well, the week of the 27th actually.

Anyway, we booked horseback riding on the beach with Costa Maya excursions. I thought the horses looked great and the people who helped us were super nice. We were told to get off the bus at Tequila Beach and everyone there was so friendly and helpful. I can't remember the woman's name, but our tour leader was named Max. She told us he spoke very little English. I laughed and said we speak very little Spanish. She laughed and said "perfecto, you'll get along great" I wish I spoke Spanish so I could have talked to him more. My dd and I had a fantastic time. We smiled and yelled Ola at every person we saw. They were all so sweet and smiled and waived back at us. There wasn't trash on Tequila beach, but I did notice piles of it everywhere on the ride. It made me really sad. When we got back to the beach I asked her why there was so much trash and she said Ivan. How sad though, it means someone probably threw the stuff overboard in the first place, or it wouldn't end up on the beach. GRRR.

A woman named Marie braided my dd's hair. She was very sweet.

I'm sorry we were there right after a hurricane. I would go back anytime.

The port did nothing for me. I personally don't care to see people dressed up as myan's posing for pictures. I would rather meet actual people than see the fake version at the port.

Dawn

WOW!! Tough crowd. nitrogenaddict, I can't wait until we visit your town next week. I personally love the Mexican towns and would be very disappointed if it was built up. I enjoy the dirt roads and down to earth people. No matter what, we always have fun while on vacation. After all, this is called an exotic cruise, so we are prepared for anything. Please continue updating us about the port. By the way, my daughter loves animals. Can you tell me anything about the Monkey Farm? Thanks Amy

If your daughter loves animals then the Monkey farm is the place to visit. The monkeys are very friendly but like all non domestic animals care should be taken when handling them. The ride out is approx 10 minutes and can be arranged by the yellow cabs in town.

hey nitro! Thanks so much for continuing to give us all the inside scoop on your little slice of heaven.

Since Grand Cayman is now off our itinerary, we are headed for Majahual. Frankly, I'm thrilled....slow, friendly, beach towns with small little outside bars are just my style.

Have you seen a total influx of cruise traffic since GC is closed? I heard from a friend that they had to wait over 2 hours for the cab line to the village?

Any info??????

Thanks!

Unfortunately !!! or good for the village fortunately!!!! yes we have a lot of ships diverted here and we are not geared up to take so many people. We try hard but it is very diffficult with the logistics of getting supplies in. We just ask people to be patient and we will try to accomodate all that come to visit us. But as Oscar Wilde once said ( You can please most of the people all the time but you cannot please ALL the people all the time-- probably misquoted but you will understand what I mean.)

Sharon:

Thanks for the review. We are leaving on the Sun this Saturday, 10/16 and just found out we will be going to Costa Maya (since GC is out) and I was wondering what we would do. Majahual Beach sounds perfect for us. Thanks again.

[quote name='inkspress yourself']well, the week of the 27th actually.

Anyway, we booked horseback riding on the beach with Costa Maya excursions. I thought the horses looked great and the people who helped us were super nice. We were told to get off the bus at Tequila Beach and everyone there was so friendly and helpful. I can't remember the woman's name, but our tour leader was named Max. She told us he spoke very little English. I laughed and said we speak very little Spanish. She laughed and said "perfecto, you'll get along great" I wish I spoke Spanish so I could have talked to him more. My dd and I had a fantastic time. We smiled and yelled Ola at every person we saw. They were all so sweet and smiled and waived back at us. There wasn't trash on Tequila beach, but I did notice piles of it everywhere on the ride. It made me really sad. When we got back to the beach I asked her why there was so much trash and she said Ivan. How sad though, it means someone probably threw the stuff overboard in the first place, or it wouldn't end up on the beach. GRRR.

Dawn[/QUOTE]
Did you do this on your own or through your ship? Where did you got to do this? I really want to ride this vacation, I am going through serious horse withdraw. Was a walking excursion or could you trot and or canter?

Anyone who is headed to Majahual this week, please find out as much as you can about the monkey farm and the horseback riding. I am not "booking" anything prior to arrival (like we did with Cozumel and all the ports last year) and I am a little nervous bout just walking in and finding something to do. I am not certified to dive or i would definately be coming to see Nitro. Maybe next time :(

While looking for info on Costa Maya (Nov 2 visit), I was blown away by BYTHEHEX beautiful writeup. My family of 9 needs just such a place to unwind if only for a day. Pictures from BRUCE-R sealed the deal. Then wham! along comes MEREDITH and pulls the rug out. Thanks to NITROGENADDICT and others, some of my faith has been restored. Watching the date on the posts I'm hoping the beauty of the place can be restored by the time we get there. JOJO48 please post when you get back and let us know about your experiences while there. ********************************************?
Dawn

Archived