Noro and toddlers

charlies_mom

We are going on FOS in August with our 14 month old (at time of sailing) son. I have been reading all the Noro posts about the LOS and am starting to freak out. How can you get a 14 mo to keep his hands out of his mouth or not touch things?

EEK!

Can more experienced cruiser and parents give me some words of wisdom?

There are no guarantees that you won't get sick on a ship. A fourteen month old will not be coming into contact with as many kids because they can't use the childcare services. So you have that going for you- because that is where kids probably pick up bugs and viruses. A pacifier is great. If your child has one of those in his mouth- chances are he won't be putting other things in there too.

If that isn't an option- just try to keep the little guys hands clean. I think that railings are the biggest culprit- so use the elevators.

Just be sure to carry around wipes with you and use the sanitizing stations offered onboard outside the dining rooms. I kept lifting my youngest up to sanitize her hands anytime we came near one on Freedom.

Remember, it is on Liberty, not Freedom right now. I was just on Freedom a few weeks ago with 2 kids and had no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

If your toddler is putting their fingers in their mouths I wouldn't want to be putting the sanitizing stuff on their hands. I'll be going through this with my then 26 month old who right now either has his paci or fingers in his mouth. Look at the ingredients in those sanitizers and decide if they should be ingesting it. I would say do your best to wash their hands. That is what I am going to do.

• Administrators
If your toddler is putting their fingers in their mouths I wouldn't want to be putting the sanitizing stuff on their hands. I'll be going through this with my then 26 month old who right now either has his paci or fingers in his mouth. Look at the ingredients in those sanitizers and decide if they should be ingesting it. I would say do your best to wash their hands. That is what I am going to do.

More information on hand sanitizers/wipes and toddlers -- http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp Some scary incidents there when kids got hold of the entire bottle!

But if you note at the bottom, it says that studies have shown that using these products cuts gastrointestinal disease by 59%. It's a judgment call -- if I were to use them for a little one, I'd be sure to teach the child to rub their hands together until the stuff is dry (which is what you are supposed to do anyway). You could make a game of it -- "This is the way we wash our hands, wash our hands, wash our hands...." (adapting the Mulberry Bush tune).

You are the best line of defense for keeping your child healthy:) Make sure to keep your hands washed and sanatized throughout the day and you'll be off to a great start. Also, bring a pack of handiwipes to wipe off your child's eating surface before and after meals.

I just returned from an 8 day cruise with my two children (14 mo and 4 yo) without incident! I was more worried about sea sickness than noro, but thankfully we didn't have to deal with either! Anticipating any and every bug they might be exposed to on the ship, I packed my entire medicne cabinet!!!! Luckily, we didn't have to use any of it!!!!

Have a great trip:)

We are going on FOS in August with our 14 month old (at time of sailing) son. I have been reading all the Noro posts about the LOS and am starting to freak out. How can you get a 14 mo to keep his hands out of his mouth or not touch things?

EEK!

Can more experienced cruiser and parents give me some words of wisdom?

I hate to gross you out, but they don't really shampoo the carpets in the cabins after each sailing, so those carpets in the cabins are not clean, even if they look clean. Diarrhea is a popular occurance if you have a toddler who likes to balance her/himself with their hands on the ground. So even if the thought of handsanitizers in their mouth is not pleasing, it's still better than handling explosive diapers after your child has touched something unsanitary.

Since your toddler wouldn't leave your line of sight, if you see him/her touch anything "public", do a glob of handsanitizer on his/her hands. I carry handsanitizers everywhere. If my kids touch the elevator buttons, I whip out the hand sanitizers. If they touch the staircase railing, I whip out the hand sanitizers. If they touch the door knob, I whip out the hand sanitizers.

When my kids were little, I would ask the cabin stewards for extra bed sheets. I would put it all over the floor in our cabin, so the kids can play on the floor (so adult shoes are off so we don't step on the sheets). I suppose they can play in bed, but I would worry that they would jump on the bed and fall off the bed.

It's really not as bad as you think if you are diligent about applying hand sanitizers. Also, bring extra diapers just in case. If you use 5 diapers a day at home, I would plan on bringing 8 diapers a day. You would rather have extra diapers than not enough diapers.

Don't worry too much and enjoy the trip.

Archived