Crown Cruisers...would love to hear how you spent your time in San Juan

crissyp

Since San Juan is our longest time on land ( 10am - 11pm) I would really love to hear what everyone did for that amount of time. We are a group of 19 and would love to stay together for the day. I was thinking about day passes at the Hilton. Has anyone had any experience with this, or can anyone suggest another hotel that might offer these day passes. Would love to know the cost of these day passes and what they offer also.

It would be great if we could all hang out together whether at their pool, beach, and still be able to venture around alittle if anyone chose to and then be able to have a nice meeting place.

Can any recent Crown cruisers help me with this one, I would really appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks,

Crissy

Other then the regular stuff, on one of our cruises we took the ferry (for about 50 cents pp) and then a cab for about $3 pp to the Bacardi Rum factory. It was cheap, interesting and fun. And, 2 free drinks per person.

Our best excursion in Puerto Rico was to the bioluminescent lakes. It was about an hour ride and you kayaked in a 2-person boat over to them. It was awesome. Believe me it was our first time kayaking and it was not hard and if you couldn't or were concerned about doing it they put someone in the 2-person kayak with you and they rowed for you. Once you got there it was such an awesome experience. You just put your hand in the water and moved it around it it would glow/light up. You could see fish swimming by because they were also glowing. It, of course, has to be done after dark but it was definiately something we will never forget.

Don't miss El Morro. I'm not a history buff, but it's not to be missed. It is amazing and the walk there and view from there is worth the trip alone.

Has anyone done the El Junque rain forest disembarkation excursion through Princess? If so, was it worth it and could you describe it. Thanks:)

Wy DW and I did the Rainforest trip last December thru Princess and loved it. We were picked up at the terminal and bused to the Rainforest where we made many stops at different parts of the park. We even did a hike along a small trail which was pretty easy. Some chose not to do it and simply stayed on the mini-bus until we returned approx. 20 minutes later. Multiple stops for photo-ops. I would reccomend this trip. We usually book on our own but since this was the day we were flying home we gave it a try. I'm not sure if your trip would be the same but I imagine it would be close.

Another option would be to rent a car and try on your own. The biggest problem to me would be the road signs as I am not fluent with the Spanish language. Good luck.

are we close enough to walk to town from where the Crown docks?

Hotels with day passes, has anyone done this??

There are 4 older teens (19) that are traveling with our group, so we kind of decided to keep the excursions to a minimum amount of $$.

I was hoping to find a hotel that offered day passes, anyone??

thanks,

crissy

Our best excursion in Puerto Rico was to the bioluminescent lakes. It was about an hour ride and you kayaked in a 2-person boat over to them. It was awesome. Believe me it was our first time kayaking and it was not hard and if you couldn't or were concerned about doing it they put someone in the 2-person kayak with you and they rowed for you. Once you got there it was such an awesome experience. You just put your hand in the water and moved it around it it would glow/light up. You could see fish swimming by because they were also glowing. It, of course, has to be done after dark but it was definiately something we will never forget.

Did you do this one through Princess or an independent?

Did you do this one through Princess or an independent?

We actually did out tour through the cruise line. I think it is only offered on cruises where the ship stays in PR until 10 or 11 p.m.

We spent three days in OSJ before the our cruise. Flew in early, and stayed at the Caribe Hilton. OSJ is on a fairly small pennisula. There are some steep hills, but if you enjoy walking it is easy to get around, and there is a lot to see. The rainforest is a nice trip. There is a ferry that will get you across the bay for a short taxi ride to Barcardi. They don't do a factory tour anymore, but there is a nice museum tour. And FREE samples!

Pete

Engine643-Thanks for responding about the El Junque rainforest excursion through Princess. It sounds better than I thought. I figured it would be on a large bus and a lot of time just riding on the bus. There is a large group of us looking for something to do post-cruise and pre-airport. That migh be our best option.THANKS

We spent our time there just wandering around Old San Juan and the capitol building. The forts are very interesting and afford nice views of the area. Many nice shops and restaurants (ty Yahoo Travel for tips on those). Had a great day!

Crissy,

It might help to go to the Ports of Call boards and click on San Juan. I've been looking myself for our cruise next winter. Someone on that board recently said that San Juan doesn't have the greatest beaches, but the better ones were in the Isle Verde neighborhood. At any rate, I'd check out that board for more info:) .

Elizabeth

Please check out part 1 of my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=473260

We spent 5 days in PR, and I would say the rainforest, hands down. I've seen my share of nature, but this was truly a moving experience that makes one appreciate Mother Nature...

The Bacardi tour does not give much of an insight into the business, but getting there on your own is inexpensive (Aqua Express and taxicab).

The castles are also awesome. PR is an amazing place..

we were recently there from 800am to 1100pm....had a great day- but HOT!

Wandered around old town in the morning by ourselves- to the forts etc then took the public bus (.85 cents) out to Isla Vedre...maybe not the best idea for a group of you but a good way to see some of the "real" San Juan. We got off at the Intercontinental Hotel and walked through to the beach area...all the major hoteal are around here. Not too sure of a day pass - we did our own thing. Went back to the ship- cleaned up- had a piece of Pizza and then found some really nice lounges around old town...just wandered around and stopping in places chatting with the locals.... great day!

Archived