Where to stay pre-cruise

Frankie Sue

Where to stay :

I know that this question has been asked and answered many times over, but I would like your advice on where to stay in N.Y. the night before our cruise.

We will be cruising on the Noordam, late this coming Fall. We fly in to Newark airport, arriving at aroud 8:00 PM the night before the cruise. We just want a decent bed to spend the night and then the best way to get to the Cruise Port on the morning of our Cruise.

The New York City hotels that I have looked at are really very expensive. What would you suggest: Stay near Newark Airport for the night and take a cab the following morning to the Port? Or stay nearer the Port and have a shorter distance to travel on the morning of the Cruise? Hotel suggestions would also be very welcome.

As always thanks a million for your help and advice.

Frankie Sue

If I were you I would consider staying at/near the Newark airport, then taking HAL transportation in the morning.

It's cheaper for the room, and transfers would be no muss/no fuss.

The ride from Newark is approx 45min-1 hr depending on traffic. We got our room at the Omni Berkshire from cruiseportlodging.com and took the shuttle from La Guardia (approx. $8.00). The next morning we look a cab from the hotel to the pier.

If you arrange a HAL transfer through your TA from HAL you will have to go back to the airport to pick it up unless you stay at a HAL hotel. We did it the cheap way.

GN

We took a private car company from LGA to New York (bad company, so name withheld). This was the bad idea.

We stayed at the Hotel Edison in a Mini Suite and LOVED our time there! It's a block away from the Olive Garden and other restaurants, and the deli in the hotel is AWESOME for breakfast food. A cab from Hotel Edison to the Pier was only about $10 including tip.

We also stayed in the Edison when we got back from the cruise. We canceled our private car company and used the hotel shuttle. In hindsight, we also should have used the shuttle on our way TO the hotel. While there was another family in the car on the way to LGA, it was very professional and we were there in no time. I think we paid $15 or $20 for that ride.

It was nice to be in the city and not far from the pier in the case of bad traffic or any other problems. Good luck!

Thank you so much Aloha Pride. I checked the Edison and it looks like a great place to stay. I think that we may very well follow your advice and book it. Also, for the area where it is, price is very reasonable.

I really appreciate your info.

Good cruising.

Frankie Sue

No problem, Frankie Sue. It's a 3 star, so don't expect the W or anything. But we LOVED our stay there. There is a gym on one of the top floors that is hardly used. Rockerfeller (spelling?) center about 4 blocks away (exit the hotel, walk 2 blocks right then 2 blocks left. Can't miss it). You are literally right on times square :)

Archived