What to do in New Orleans

Last spring we took a cruise out of New Orleans. My dh had been to New Orleans about 10 years earlier and loved it so we choose this city so I could see it. It was the beginning of April and cold that day. We stayed at the St. Charles hotel a block or two off the main street. We walk all over the area. I would not take kids on Bourbon street. Besides all the gentlemen's clubs it was not very clean. We went to the Riverwalk Mall to shop. Few stores were open, nobody in it except some ladies that worked at the clubs. Harrah's was doing great business. The part that we did enjoy was Jackson Square and the Cathedral. The rest of the city was disappointing.

Thanks to both of you. Everyone has told me we have to try a beignet. I look forward to exploring the city. I will also check out the website you suggested. We are staying at the Holiday Inn on Royal.

oh no...not A beignet...a LOT of beignets....and cafe au lait.......YUMMM!!!!

you can go to the original Cafe du Monde down in the FQ or there is a branch in the Riverwalk mall......so, actually you can walk to the one in the FQ, sit and have some, then walk over to the mall, and get some more!! :P

and have an order for me...beignets and cafe au lait were the highlight for me! (it was too bloody hot to do much else. technically too hot for coffee but, ah well..when in rome...)

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried any of the voodoo/haunted/ghost tours? I'd like to check out something really different, and that seems pretty unique to NOLA to me. There seem to be tons of companies to choose from, not sure who's good :)

Has anyone tried any of the voodoo/haunted/ghost tours? I'd like to check out something really different, and that seems pretty unique to NOLA to me. There seem to be tons of companies to choose from, not sure who's good :)

We have never taken the tour but we see http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/ all the time and they seem to be the best.

• 2 weeks later...

A wonderful place to see in New Orleans is the Aquarium of the Americas, located near the cruise terminal. Go to:

http://www.auduboninstitute.org

then click on "Aquarium of the Americas."

If your husband is into history, he would love the National D-Day Museum:

http://www.ddaymuseum.org

Have a great trip!

Smooth Sailing,

--Johnnie & Kim

Archived