Michel Roux replacement named!

RLM77

The fact that X issued a press release on Mr. Van Staden's hiring indicates that he is the marquee name that they were seeking to replace Chef Roux's. It seems virtually certain that there will be no high profile consulting chefs on board as long as Mr. Van Staden is around.

RCL obtains some real benefits by having their star chef on the payroll (as an employee) rather than on a consulting contract. Chef Roux likely had no reason to focus on anything but quality. His name was associated with Celebrity and he was likely being paid a fixed price for his name and expertise. There was thus no reason (or incentive) for him to focus on anything other maintaining his good name by insisting on a high quality product.

In contrast, Mr. Van Staden is a high level employee and is no doubt eligible for stock options, cash bonuses, etc. if he meets or exceeds certain objectives. One of these objectives is almost certainly to reduce costs without negatively impacting bookings. I therefore expect that he will be much more focussed on the cost side than was Chef Roux.

The thing to watch is whether or not anyone outside of RCCL management notices. If Mr. Van Staden does his job right, food costs will be reduced and few, if any pax will see a difference. Some passengers may even see improvements, as it appears that Mr. Van Staden is more innovative than the very traditional Michel Roux. If passengers notice a decline in quality then Mr. Van Staden has overdone and the company may suffer as a result.

This is a change that bears watching. It may turn out to be a step forward for X, or it may pull the line down to RCI/Princess food quality standards. In any case, I expect that X's food costs will increase less over the next few quarters/years than their other expenses.

Rich

This background provides for a much more interesting menu selection, and far from moderate and mainstream. Don't finalize the thinking it to be an overhaul of the cruiseline's menu's, but more of a specialty area to bring a fresh tone.

As a captive audience I don't expect nor do I have a desire to enter into a dining arena of core off the chart menu ideas night after night. Even in Vegas I can get 'staples'.

The fact that X issued a press release on Mr. Van Staden's hiring indicates that he is the marquee name that they were seeking to replace Chef Roux's. It seems virtually certain that there will be no high profile consulting chefs on board as long as Mr. Van Staden is around....................................................................................This is a change that bears watching. It may turn out to be a step forward for X, or it may pull the line down to RCI/Princess food quality standards. In any case, I expect that X's food costs will increase less over the next few quarters/years than their other expenses.

Rich

Rich - As always, nice analysis. I always enjoy your perspective on the business aspect of cruising. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Archived