Grand Cayman Suggestions

hkolln

This being our 3rd trip to GC we need advice on something different to do.
We have been to stingray sandbar and snorkeling. We also have been on an island tour/Hell/Turtle Farm tour too.

I was looking at a jeep tour on shoretrips.com and it's an Eastern End tour which takes you to Bodden Town and to Rum Point and you can snorkel. Not sure if that is a good tour and/or if there is anything else different to do while in Grand Cayman. We don't want to hang out at a beach all day but do various things. Any Suggestions? And can anybody recommend a company to use? Thanks

BTW: We were thinking of becoming PADI certified in order to scuba dive however it is just too much money for us right now so we need other suggestions. Looking at our cruiselines shore trips doesn't give me any good ideas...all of it is either snorkeling, scuba diving, or basic island tours.

We rented a car through [url="http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com"]www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com[/url] and drove to bodden town, the blowholes, the wreck of 10 sails, the whole east side and ended up at Rum Point ourselves. The cost was only $45, and we got lucky as they were out of the cheapest car and upgraded us to a jeep no extra charge. LOVED RUM POINT!!! You won't regret going there!

Thanks for the idea. We decided to do that too...and reserved it online. Only thing is I see the vehicle is a right hand side drive one. Did you have that type too? Do they drive on the left side of the road too? Hubby drove in St John and it was left side driving however our jeep was a left hand side drive one though.

[quote name='hkolln'] Do they drive on the left side of the road too? [/QUOTE]

You bet they do. It takes some getting used to. Every time you have to turn onto another road, just tell yourself "Short left, Long right". Think about it and you'll understand what I mean.

BTW, you don't have to get certified to dive in Grand Cayman if you do a Discover Scuba activity.

I think the cheaper cars did have the driving wheel on the opposite side of the car than we are used to. And, yes they do drive on the opposite side of the road. Weird thing for us was the jeep had the driver's side on the left (same as here), but we were having to drive on the left...so it made it confusing.

But, you know, once you get out of georgetown, its all just 1 long 2 lane road so its easy to drive. There were a couple of georgetown intersections that were a little crazily set up if you ask me. I would describe the intersection like a sun with rays coming out of it....meaning the center was a circle, and the rays were like 4-5 streets coming into it...it was difficult to figure who went when so drive cautiously if you see any of these strange intersections. I think we had 2 of them.

But, all in all, don't worry....buy the full insurance!!!

Archived