Is Celebrity right for me?

smoosh21

OK, I am 36 and my Partner is 37. We have sailed HAL and loved it. We just got off of RC Explorer of the Seas and had a great time there too, but missed some of the little things

--nicer furniture in room

--nicer deck chairs

--a more genteel bar staff

--fewer rowdy 20-somethings

Some people think we are strange for liking HAL so much because of the demographics it attracts. We are looking at a possible cruise on Celebrity next February (Summit). Does Celebrity have a similar feel to HAL? We enjoyed going to the Trivia, and Karaoke and other events like that. Does the events staff have a somewhat similar take on how things are run?

I am just trying to get a better feel for Celebrity, thanks

We've been sailing X for years. We like it because its a bit more laid back and elegant than RCCL and others. I'm 43 and Johns 46. The demographics differ during the season and itineraries. But for the most part we avoid any school breaks.

As for your requests:

Nicer furniture - depends on what your definition of nicer is? and remember the furnishings do get a lot of use, so there will always be wear and tear.

The same with the deck chairs. We have found the padded chaises by the pool to be very comfortable.

The bar staff has ALWAYS been outstanding, especially in the Martini bar.

As for the rowdy 20 something crowd....X has far fewer ammenities to attract lots of younger people. No rock walls, ice rinks, party lounges, the drinking age is 21.

Nowadays it seems like any line could be hit or miss with people too busy to research what there vacation really is and what they'll be getting...so there will be one in every crowd.

However X is one of the more traditional lines and you will find the set dining times and dress codes which MOST adhear to.

Announcements are basically kept to one per day, as they leave the next days daily in your room the night before to schedule your activities.

And they are gay friendly with FOD meeting popping up in the martini bar a couple of times during the cruise.

Hope that helps,

Dave:eek:

In my experience- the more expensive the cruise is the better the clientelle. This is just a generalization. Off season cruises tend to be less expensive across the board.

I love Celebrity and have for years (I'm 42). I haven't been on Holland America recently so can't do a fair comparison. I think their furnishings are topnotch in general and have no quarrel with any aspect in this department.

I sailed on Radiance of the Seas in April and thought the ship could use a facelift in many areas and was really unimpressed with the cleanliness of the ship in general. Just didn't get that stream-lined, shipshape vibe. Although my cabin was immaculate and I liked it more than Oceania and Celebrity in terms of layout (rounded corners on the bed and beds by the window). Gave more space around the closets and desk.

I think Summit will be an excellent choice for you and that you will really feel pampered and relaxed on Celebrity.

My most recent HAL cruises were Noordam (just back), Oosterdam (April) and Zuiderdam (last March). Most recent X cruises were Century (November, 2006) and Mercury (Oct, 2005).

IMO, the furnishings are a good deal nicer on HAL and the ships well maintained. The balcony furniture on our HAL cruises was rattan type with cushions versus plastic, no cushions on X. Public rooms on HAL have some gorgeous leather furniture and those Italian designed chairs in the Pinnacle restaurant and bar are simply to die for! HAL ships (Vistas) use more vibrant colors and electic (love the elevator doors) touches.

Bedding is nicer, IMO, on HAL as are the bathrooms and provided amenities (towels, Elemis products, etc). DH mentioned to me on this past trip how much fresher and nicer the fresh flower arrangements are on HAL (in cabins and public spaces both) than we had on Century. The suite amenities and perks on HAL are exceptional, IME.

I really enjoy the Aqua Spa Cafe on X ships that have it, and the nightlife is better on X in general. In all other aspects, we both prefer HAL, though X would come in second of the mass market lines.

Century and Mercury are older ships. I know that Century got a major facelift but Mercury hasn't as yet. I have never sailed either of these vessels so again can't compare them to Summit.

I have sailed on Constellation and Millenium and they are my favorite ships of all time (out of 21). Galaxy was nice but no match to the "M" class ships. However, I would hardly describe the Celebrity staterooms as being exceptional (I have only sailed in the standard balcony staterooms) and the beds on Galaxy were horrible. But the general feeling I get on Celebrity is one of sophistication.

Century and Mercury are older ships. I know that Century got a major facelift but Mercury hasn't as yet. I have never sailed either of these vessels so again can't compare them to Summit.

I have also cruised on Infinity, Horizon and Zenith, all in the their maiden years. I enjoyed them all, and the smaller ships are just fine for me.

Century's face lift was a sucess in some areas, and not so much in others. That is based on personal preference and I imagine things might have been differently were she not slated for the merciless short cruises she is now doing.

Archived