Beware...read the fine print very carefully!!!

I paid RCCL for a service. I would have expected that service to be fullfilled. If BCN is under construction right now and busses are restricted than it is RCCL's duty to inform their clients that they will not be able to drop the passengers off at their terminals. And no, it wasn't that far of a walk on a typical day, but with four pieces of luggage and two carry on's in a foreign airport, yes it was too far to walk in my opinion.

I guess I don't see the big deal, but maybe it's because I expect any transfer service like this, where they're trying to shuttle hundreds or even thousands of passengers to an airport as quickly as possible, is going to be a cattle-call type operation. Maybe I should expect better, but I don't. I've done this once, and they got us to the airport (Miami) and unloaded the bus of passengers and luggage at one central location. Their were airport porters available then to assist with getting your luggage to the appropriate place (or you could drag it yourself, if you didn't want to tip a porter a few bucks).

Trying to make multiple stops and make sure they unloaded all the right bags at the right stops would have been harder to orchestrate. It is a good thread, though, to help folks not be surprised by this kind of thing.

BTW, four suitcases and two carry-ons is not JUST for you, is it??

That is a first for me. Any time I've taken the transfers we were alwasy dropped off at the correct terminal.

RCCL transfer dropped everyone off the appropriate terminals in Fort Lauderdale airport. :)

We are fairly independant travelers, and almost always just make our own arrangements. The only time I did use the transfers was on our cruise in 2000 on the Celebrity Millenium. X arranged for us to fly into Milan in Italy and then bused us to Genoa, a couple of hours drive and we stopped one time at a highway fast food, grocery, gas station thing on the way. Since we were traveling with my mother and my MIL I didn't want to have the additional responsibility for getting them to the port. So, I opted for the brain free option of transfers. We stood as a small herd at the Milan airport in about 4 different locations for about an hour. Then they herded us to the waiting bus coaches where we boarded one and waited another 45 minutes or so while the bus and other coaches filled up, then the caravan began. The nice thing was we met a mother on the bus who was, also, on all of our flights who was visiting her son who was the lead singer on the ship and he happened to be from our hometown. So, it was nice hearing her talk about her excitement to see her son perform on the cruise for the first time.

I can not really imagine using the transfers anywhere outside of Europe or Asia, but that is just my independant nature.

jc

I guess I don't see the big deal, but maybe it's because I expect any transfer service like this, where they're trying to shuttle hundreds or even thousands of passengers to an airport as quickly as possible, is going to be a cattle-call type operation. Maybe I should expect better, but I don't. I've done this once, and they got us to the airport (Miami) and unloaded the bus of passengers and luggage at one central location. Their were airport porters available then to assist with getting your luggage to the appropriate place (or you could drag it yourself, if you didn't want to tip a porter a few bucks).

Trying to make multiple stops and make sure they unloaded all the right bags at the right stops would have been harder to orchestrate. It is a good thread, though, to help folks not be surprised by this kind of thing.

BTW, four suitcases and two carry-ons is not JUST for you, is it??

Recently used a shuttle service in Galveston that did just that. They had a full size bus (same as cruise transfers). They organized luggage by the terminal people needed before loading it on the bus, stopped at each one, unloaded the appropriate luggage and headed to the next terminal. It was the 1st time in 5 cruises that I had not used the cruise lines transfers and it was the smoothest by far.

Yes, a taxi IS the best way to go! Sadly though, it's not the best for us because we do bring our family members on cruises and we can't possible all fit into one taxi. Sometimes IF we're lucky there will be a line of them waiting for customers, then we have taken two or three.

Are you going in and out of Barcelona? Then check out yourtransfers.com we have just used them for a group of 9 a couple of weeks ago - they were cheaper and far more comfortable than whole bunch of taxis...

All thoughs planning on taking taxis do yourself a favour and check just how many ships are in town in Barcelona on the day you arrive. Some days this summer will be a nightmare - in May they had one day with 9 ships including the Voyager & the QM2 and the Taxis just did not go around!!!!

Recently used a shuttle service in Galveston that did just that. They had a full size bus (same as cruise transfers). They organized luggage by the terminal people needed before loading it on the bus, stopped at each one, unloaded the appropriate luggage and headed to the next terminal. It was the 1st time in 5 cruises that I had not used the cruise lines transfers and it was the smoothest by far.

Glad you had a smooth transfer. I didn't mean to suggest it couldn't be done, just that it would take more effort to orchestrate. I'm not sure how many passengers take the RCI transfers back to an airport, but it's at least several hundred if not a thousand or more passengers. I'm sure the independent shuttle service you used wasn't trying to handle nearly as many people at once.

I sound like I'm trying to defend these transfer services, and I'm really not. I'd rather arrange my own transportation, because it usually IS smoother and often cheaper than the cruise lines'. I'm not sure the situation described is "inexcusable", though.

Are you going in and out of Barcelona? Then check out yourtransfers.com we have just used them for a group of 9 a couple of weeks ago - they were cheaper and far more comfortable than whole bunch of taxis...

Moeve, Thank you very much for suggesting this site. I have made a note of it for our future trips! We've cruised from Italy south through the Greek Islands, Israel, Turkey, etc., also South America a couple of times, Central America, & Hawaii but not Spain yet. We do want to see Barcelona & Portugal!!

Next up we're taking the youngest married daughter and son in-law on a 9 day but only to the Caribbean again. There are so many foreign lands we want to see while we are still able.

Thanks again for that link!

Moeve - thank you for letting us know that you used this service. We are also 9 in our group and I just found their website yesterday but I'm always hesitant to book without getting feedback from someone. If you can give me any other information about your experience with them, I would appreciate it.

All thoughs planning on taking taxis do yourself a favour and check just how many ships are in town in Barcelona on the day you arrive. Some days this summer will be a nightmare - in May they had one day with 9 ships including the Voyager & the QM2 and the Taxis just did not go around!!!!

We ran into a similar problem in Vancouver. There were 3 ships disembarking on the same day and there was a marathon being run that morning, the streets around the port were closed. We waited in the taxi line until we heard that news, then we just walked to our hotel. I felt so bad for people still waiting with the hope they would not miss their flight. It would not have mattered if they had a bus transfer, shuttle or wait for a taxi, no traffic was moving at all :rolleyes: . Not a great plan by the city that day!

We book our own travel plans, after only one time allowing the cruise line to do it. We learned a lot on our first cruise what NOT to do. They are great for the cruise portion of the trip, but I think people put too much faith into the cruise lines for other travel "stuff", such as transfers, hotel accomodations, insurance and excursions. They are only an agent contracting these things out to other companies, taking a cut of the action and passing the larger cost onto the passenger.

Not only can you do things yourself for less cash, it really is easier in the long run. Too many people think the one-stop-shopping of the cruiseline accomodations is easier on the brain, for me personally I cannot tolerate the extra wait times, the crowds and the confusion of bus transfers.

After the Vancouver debacle, we've also learned to check what is going on in the city that day as well.

So, I think it is important for people to read these threads, to make a more educated choice. I think the title should read more like Be aware, rather than Beware.

Bottom line, control your own destiny, pack light and leave yourself a cushion of time when travelling.

We had a similar problem this past April in San Diego after our cruise on Radiance. We were taken to the San Diego Airport and dropped off at the baggage claim area. Having never departed this airport, we learned that departing flights were on the upper level on the other side of our drop off point. The driver told us that this was airport policy.:rolleyes:

We've never encountered this problem at any other port. Unfortunately they do not drop you off right in front of your airline, but rather in a general drop off point..less congestion. Porters or carts were always readily available. Next time we depart from San Diego, no transfers, we will get our own transportation.

I hope this doesn't happen in Orlando!

Yes, the busses in Orlando drop off in one specific location on level 1 on the A side. You will then need to go up to level 3 on either the A or B side to check in.

Tim

Moeve - thank you for letting us know that you used this service. We are also 9 in our group and I just found their website yesterday but I'm always hesitant to book without getting feedback from someone. If you can give me any other information about your experience with them, I would appreciate it.

Sorry Bugs have been away on business and haven't had time for the boards. These guys are wonderful in Barcelona our bus was brand new had less than 20.000 km on the clock. Lots of space for luggage and if you have more they bring a closed trailor (you need to tell them how much luggage is coming!!!) We were met directly after customs (after you pick up your luggage) by the driver holding a sign with the groups name. At the luggage carousels there are trollies for your luggage use them. You are then walked to your bus (if you have someone who has difficulties walking a few meters tell them since they have to park in a certain area due to building sites. Our driver spoke a nice english and drove us straight to the pier he loads & unlaods the luggage and at the port he hands it over to the longshore you don't even have to touch it anymore.

On the return he is waiting for as you get off no waiting!! You tip the driver accordingly und the regular Price is charged to your CC. They even give you a cell # so that you can contact the driver at any time. They ask for your flight # so that they can keep tabs on the flight to see if it is delayed or early.

This is truely a profesional outfit don't hestitate to book them!!! Do it so so that no one else books him before you.

Archived