must see in ketchikan

eela

hi all,

i searched through this forum and found differing opinions on ketchikan. what is the general consensus here?? what are some must see low cost self tours?? how long would you suggest for taking a walk/bus tour by ourselves??

some thread didn't even mention the misty fjords tour. others rambled on about misty fjords, especially the costly flightseeing tour.

thanks,

eela

Well, I don't know if it get's much cheaper than this, but my friends took the public bus for $1. They were able to get off at Saxman Village and take some pictures. Since there was not a tour going on, they were able to step into the workshop to see the work in progress and learned a bunch from the staff. I did the walking tour. Kind of neat to take the Married Man's trail, just for the history alone considering those who walked before you. The only money I spend it Ketchikan was in the shops on Creek Street!! This was our last port and we were pretty tired. Our original plan was ziplining, but it sold out very quickly (can only book through ship). Ended up we were not too disappointed.

If you put Ketchikan in the search feature, you'll come up with lots of ideas for low-budget touring. BQ has a great walking tour posted that I definitely plan on taking (60-90 minutes). You might come up with it by putting "Creek Street" in the search. Good luck!

I'm planning to be on my own in Ketchikan, as well. No specific tours booked. However, somewhere along the line I was told about horse drawn trolley tours. They do a great job and even have a husky sitting with each driver. I'm definitely going to try them. Their web page is horsetrolleytours.com

We did a hike up Deer Trail. The naturalist onboard suggested we take a taxi to the trail head to save time, which we did. We hiked 1/2 way up. Easy hike, lots of great views. Then we walked back down through town. Just google search Deer Trail in Ketchikan.

Someone posted on here an explanation of all the totem poles at the Totem Bight Park. We will do the floatplan w/SeaWind, and they will drop us off at Totem Bight for our self-guided tour.

Check this link and see if it gets you there:

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totempol.htm

You can easily get to Totem Bight by the blue bus line. Pick up is just outside the tunnel across from the eagle totem.

Archived