Please help with New York questions

I have a few questions regarding our upcoming pre-cruise stay in NY...

We're sailing on the Crown Princess on August 19, 2007

We're flying into LaGuardia on August 18, 2007

We're looking into the Crowne Plaze at the LaGuardia Airport. Is this a decent hotel? What can you tell me about safety there and the surrounding area?

I'd like to know how far the cruise terminal is from that hotel and approximately how much will cab fare cost us to take us to the peir the next day?

We really want to go to Times Square the afternoon of the 18th. What is the cheapest form of transportation to this area? How far away is Times Square from The Crowne Plaza?

We don't have a problem using cabs, subway or a car service. However, we'd like to know the cost of each, for the places we want to go to, before going?:D

Our goal is to do this as cheap as possible but still see a couple of sights. Safety is the most important as we will be traveling with our young son.

If you can, I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!

ok the port is in nyc ... manthann... the airport is is queens ny time square is in New York City also... I really dont know how much for a cab to the port . but its about 20-30 mins away on a good day ... to get to times square for the afternoon make sure you see everything you can... you can email me and i can ask dh more when he is home since he works there.

stephanis@aol.com

steph

Crown Princess sails out of Red Hook Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Check the thread about Brooklyn hotels, they have easy access to Manhattan and are closer than La Guardia to the terminal!

LaGuardia is in Queens. Times Square and almost everything else that people associate with NYC is in Manhattan. Unfortunately, there aren't any subway/trains and aren't many convenient buses in the LaGuardia area, so a taxi would be your best bet. You should know that a taxi from any of the NYC airports (LaGuardia, JFK, Newark) to anywhere in NYC is $50 + tip, and I don't remember if the tolls are included in the $50 (the tolls would be another $10 or so if not included).

The Crowne Plaza is a nice enough place. It would be safe. But it's pretty far from "the sights" of NYC. It's also pretty far from the cruise pier. Princess ships dock at the port in Brooklyn. So maybe look for a hotel in Brooklyn! Brooklyn has all the subways/trains/buses that make going into Manhattan more convenient (and much cheaper than taxi). You just need a transit map.

A subway map which shows you where the airports are in relation to Manhattan: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Your cruise ship port is on the southern part of Brooklyn. Also, note how LaGuardia is off in the top of Queens with no transit line nearby.

Here is some tourist info: http://www.mta.info/metrocard/tourism/index.html

Here is the NY Cruise website's tourism info, and they also have more detailed info about both ports: http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/attractions.html

Hope this helps! Have a great time on your cruise! :)

I can't believe how much misinformation there is on this thread.

1. The Crown Princess as some said leaves from Brooklyn not Manhattan(the correct spelling of it by the way).

2. A cab from LGA or the airport hotels(non-rush hour) to midtown is less than $35.00 plus tolls and tip. Its more to the Wall Street area where the tourist tend to go...you know where the Statue of Liberty is. You can do it by bus and subway but its not convenient(the Brooklyn Marriott is much closer to this area...in fact its one subway stop a way).

3. By cab to the Red Hook terminal(without traffic non rush hour), from the Crowne Plaza, it will take less than an 1/2 hour and also cost about $35.00 plus tip(there is no toll from Queens to Brooklyn).

4. The Crown Plaza is an ok airport hotel. It is an airport hotel and is not convenient to Manhattan also called by natives "the City"

5. There are numerous threads on Brooklyn-Red Hook hotels on the East Coast Port boards.

WOW! Thank you for the great information today! I appreciate the time both of you took for me!

After your posts and doing further research we have decided against The Crowne Plaza.

We have booked the Marriot in Brooklyn instead. We paid $199 - seems like a decent of enough deal for the area.

We arrive around 11am. I'm assuming we'll take a taxi from LaGuardia airport to the hotel. We're hoping to leave our luggage there (they approved this) and then make our way to Times Square! :D

We'd like to purchase a few New York t-shirts and perhaps some other souvenirs. Do you find these types of shops around everywhere?

Thanks again everyone. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Happy Sails to all

Once you get yourself to Times Square you'll be overloaded with places to get souvenirs including about 2 million varieties of NYC T-shirts. Enjoy, it's a great town!

you are welcome. There is a subway right by the Marriott. get a $7.00 metrocard good for the whole day(one needed per person) unlimited rides on the subway and NY city buses until 2 am.....No matter where you go there will be people selling T shirts 5 for $10.00...

Times square is 42nd street and Broadway...and seventh avenue...

WOW! Thank you for the great information today! I appreciate the time both of you took for me!

After your posts and doing further research we have decided against The Crowne Plaza.

We have booked the Marriot in Brooklyn instead. We paid $199 - seems like a decent of enough deal for the area.

We arrive around 11am. I'm assuming we'll take a taxi from LaGuardia airport to the hotel. We're hoping to leave our luggage there (they approved this) and then make our way to Times Square! :D

We'd like to purchase a few New York t-shirts and perhaps some other souvenirs. Do you find these types of shops around everywhere?

Thanks again everyone. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Happy Sails to all

May I be so bold as to ask where you got such a good rate for the Marriott Brooklyn. I'm looking to book there also, and I can't find a rate for less than $300.

Thanks!

May I be so bold as to ask where you got such a good rate for the Marriott Brooklyn. I'm looking to book there also' date=' and I can't find a rate for less than $300.

Thanks![/quote']

I don't mind at all. I went to their website at: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nycbk-new-york-marriott-at-the-brooklyn-bridge/

I called the hotel directly. The number is listed on the webpage. Most rooms were $219 + $254 but we were able to book at $199 using the advance payment rate. You have 24 hours after booking to cancel. After 24 hours your credit card will then be charged.

I also want to add that we were offered $100 for another Marriott stay in 2007 if we paid with a Visa. That's not too shappy either.:D

Archived