Grand Circle in China?

terpla

I am trying to find out if anyone has traveled with Grand Circle in China and what was your experience. I have traveled with them before but never on a River Cruise, except in Greece and they switched ships on us the last minute. Their land trips especially Australia was wonderful.

We also are looking at Vantage, Viking and Uniworld. It seems thus far

Grand Circle offers the most value for the money, but I want to know if it is worth the money.

My question is about their ship's accomodations and food and of course thier choice of hotels, etc.

Thanks for any imput you all may offer.

We traveld in China several years ago and cruised on the Victoria River Queen. A very nice boat. I believe Vantage and Uniworld uses them. Viking has their own ships which are new.

The ship GCT uses is an old Russian built ship with very small rooms-beds fold down to sleep. On the Victoria and Viking ships, the rooms are large, hotel style beds, and usually a balcony. The ships are new and so much nicer than a 1993 Russian boat. But I guess it is all personal choice.

I have never heard of the hotels GCT uses.

I would compare all four companies, also Ritz Tours and Pacific Delight. Once you get into China, the China travel service hosts all the tours, so pick the one that gives you the best hotels, river boat, etc.

Thanks Umberwoob I pretty much in the last 24 hours discarded Grand Circle. I looked up all the hotels from all of them on Trip Advisor and was not pleased with GC's choice. The old adage you get what you pay for.

Thanks again,

We have traveled with GCT many times. In 2002 we went to Japan (3 days) then China (3 weeks) with them. This was just as SARS started. We would have had a bus load, but all but about 15 cancelled. Tourism in China all but stopped. We had the place almost to ourselves, except for the salesmen who surrounded us at every location we went. GCT took very good care of us during the SARS scare . We saw Hong Kong, Shangai, Beijing, Xian, the Great Wall, the Terra Cotta statues, cruised the Yangtze, etc. We stayed in 5 and 4-star hotels. Our boat on the Yangtze River was the "Princess Sheena". It is nothing fancy. The food was adequate. They scheduled long days. We were up and at them, early. It met our expections.

Thanks Cactus Kid, I too have traveled with GCt several times but I am a little wary about China. I think we will go with Vantage this time since the hotels will be better and also the ship.

I appreciate your response.

Archived