Best mayan ruins.......

extreme

wheres the best mayan ruins? we just got back from xunantunich in belize and it was amazing we climbed to the top of the main structure which my guess would be at least 100 feet high the view was breathtaking.. so know we want to visit another site but where to go thats as good or better?

wheres the best mayan ruins? we just got back from xunantunich in belize and it was amazing we climbed to the top of the main structure which my guess would be at least 100 feet high the view was breathtaking.. so know we want to visit another site but where to go thats as good or better?

Our favorite was Tulum. I think it is offered from Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulum

We LOVED Chaccoben out of Costa Maya! Specifically chose it because it is one of the smaller sites, but nicely excavated, AND it is pretty darn shady! Don't forget, you're WAAAAAY south ... that sun is nothing short of brutal! We booked our tour when we first boarded the boat and couldn't have been happier! Luis was our tourguide and he was excellent ... has been hands-on involved with the Chaccoben excavation since it was begun. So if you get the chance to go to Chaccoben, don't pass it up!

I have only been to two Mayan ruin sites.

Tulum is beautiful. Other sites may have buildings more impressive in size, but how could you resist the view of the ruins perched on a cliff over a white sand beach and the incredibly blue sea. Truly incredible...and one of the hottest places I have ever been.

And we visited the Dzibilchaltun ruins near Progreso.

Beautiful and interesting. The Temple of the Seven Dolls is an astronomical calendar, sort of like Stonehenge.

And you can climb if you want.

The guide was $12 and well worth it.

http://www.locogringo.com/yucatan/dzibilchaltun.html

Coba is my favorite. I have been going to the area for over 12 years now and they are still unearthing ruins. It is wonderful to be able to climb these ruins and touch such wonderful history. If in Playa del Carmen you can hire a taxi for the day and also stop at Tulum. Tulum has such a beautiful piece of land but you are not able to touch any of the ruins.

here is the main reason i liked xuantunich so much... as i allreaddy said the view and the ability to climb the main structure:D my gf and myself thought this was the highlight of our cruise

Many people feel Chichén Itzá is the best... :D

Not available from cruise ship (unless you hop a plane over and back). Best visited from Cancun (still 3 or 4 hour drive one way)

I have been there. It is breathtaking.

Another vote for Tulum.............impressive.........

If you stop in Costa Maya, make sure you see the Chacchoben ruins..........

I loved Tulum, not because of the ruins ( DW was totally absorbed with the tour guides spiel, don't know why) which were nice. Hey, they're ruins! I never quite understood the big deal with ruins whether they are Mayan, Egyptian, Greek or Roman. OK, I suppose the Great Pyramid at Giza would impress me, and so would the Temple of the Sun in Tiotihuacan, or Macchu Pichu. But basically they're all just a bunch of broken down buildings, hence the name.

What I loved about Tulum was the beach right on the Caribbean. Beautiful beach, lots of locals, delicious water. It was about 100 degrees that day, and Mrs. B did a lot of sweating, while I stayed cool and comfortable.

BnB

Chichen Itza.

I took the boys there on our Progresso stop 3 years ago, but I noticed that port has since been dropped from cruise itineraries.

It is truly mind-blowing.

Not sure how you get there on a cruise these days, but its worth a visit.

I have been to several Mayan ruins and "best" is hard to determine - so I will just say what my "favorites" are.

Uxmal - my absolute favorite - beautiful and uncrowded and very Mayan. There is no other Mayan pyramid quite as lovely as the Pyramid of the Magician.

Tulum - prettiest setting overlooking the ocean but quite small

Coba - very impressive and covers a large area

Chichen Itza - impressive and lots to see but a little too crowded for my taste - although it ties for my 2nd favorite because there are just so many wonderful structures.

Lamanai - my other 2nd favorite - most fun getting to (riding the speed boat up river) and the scultures are amazing and you can climb the structures and the jungle setting with howler monkeys is special

Chacchoben - most jungley setting - makes you feel like Indiana Jones with the vegetation covered ruins and the view from the Gran Basiamento is great.

Best guides ever! - David and Ivan

Dzbilchaltun - small, not many buildings but a lovely little museum and a nice cenote to cool off in

Palenque although you cannot visit there if you are on a cruise. There arent very many tall structures but you can climb down into Pakals tomb.

I envy you Palenque - I would love to see it.

here is the main reason i liked xuantunich so much... as i allreaddy said the view and the ability to climb the main structure:D my gf and myself thought this was the highlight of our cruise

Loved your pictures of Xuantich - if I get back to Belize - I think want to see it.

Who'd you book your tour with? Did you like the service-- was it reasonable? There is just myself and my daughter and I don't want to go on a tour just the two of us yet I don't want a crowded cruise ship tour either. Would love to get your feedback.

Thanks

LORI

• 2 weeks later...
Who'd you book your tour with? Did you like the service-- was it reasonable? There is just myself and my daughter and I don't want to go on a tour just the two of us yet I don't want a crowded cruise ship tour either. Would love to get your feedback.

Thanks

LORI

we did the tour thru carnival, i did not think it was crowded maybe 25 people. a couple we sat with at dinner also did the same tour but there group was just coming into the main court yard when we were at the top of the main structure. i believe they spread the tours out on perpose. also i forgot to mention we also had a lunch on the way back that was also included in the price of the tour. again this tour was the highlight of vacation :D

Archived