Costco in Juneau

akh40

Do any of you locals (or non-locals!) know how far the Costco Warehouse is from the cruise ship docks? We are renting a car, so we can get there. I have the address, just wondering if someone can tell me how far it is. I work at the Costco here in Boise, so I wanted to take a picture of the Costco in Juneau to share with my friends at work. :)

Amanda

Do any of you locals (or non-locals!) know how far the Costco Warehouse is from the cruise ship docks? We are renting a car, so we can get there. I have the address, just wondering if someone can tell me how far it is. I work at the Costco here in Boise, so I wanted to take a picture of the Costco in Juneau to share with my friends at work.

Amanda

Amanda,

I don't live in Juneau but go there occasionally for work. So I thought of a restaurant close to the dock and then put in the Costco address and it says 6.4 miles. So I'd say just this side of 7 miles. It's right off of Glacier Highway that is the road that leaves Juneau to head to what they call the Valley.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Okay - I'll bite - does the Costco in Juneau (or anywhere else in Alaska) sell any Alaska souveniers like the Costco Warehouses in Hawaii? for that matter, does Walmart? Is there a Walmart in Alaska?

The idea of taking a photo at an Alaska Costco warehouse is priceless, as my friends all make fun of my "Costco habit."

Maddle

I took photos of the Wal-Mart in Playa del Carmen, the super mercado! We tried to interpret the spanish slogans. They also had a parking garage under the store. I cannot imagine coming out of the store with a cart loaded down and trying to keep a good hold on the cart while going down the ramp!

Okay - I'll bite - does the Costco in Juneau (or anywhere else in Alaska) sell any Alaska souveniers like the Costco Warehouses in Hawaii? for that matter, does Walmart? Is there a Walmart in Alaska?

The idea of taking a photo at an Alaska Costco warehouse is priceless, as my friends all make fun of my "Costco habit."

Maddle

No the Costco's in Alaska don't sell souveniers but the WalMarts in Anchorage do. Juneau doesn't have a WalMart.

Locals in Juneau last week told us that they will be getting a Wal-Mart soon, they are going to be in the old K-Mart building (wherever that is). They were all excited about that and an Olive Garden that is coming to town!!!!

The old KMart is just further down Glacier Highway then you would turn off for Costco.

Hadn't heard about Olive Garden and I'd really be surprised if they got one before Anchorage did, especially with the costs of getting stuff into Juneau since you can only bring things in by air or boat. Can't even drive to our State Capital.

It's so sad that I had to look at a map to find the answer. Seriously, we don't know the street names in our own town.

It's not quite as far as the Valley; it's in the Lemon Creek area. After you leave town on Egan Drive, there'll be one stoplight. Go through it. At the next light, Vanderbilt Hill/Old Glacier Hwy, turn right. At the first light, Anka, turn right. They're doing all sorts of construction because we're getting a Home Depot (!!) so you may be diverted, but the idea is to head towards the back of this area. The Costco's off Commercial Blvd, a right turn off Anka. If they happen to give you a map, or you can pick one up, the green Chamber of Commerce one, Costco's even marked on the map.

Actually, in the book section, Costco some nice color photo books for nice souvenirs.

In this industrial area, there's also the Brewery, with tours and tastings.

BTW, I think this is the smallest Costco I've ever see, and certainly the shortest lines!

Thank you so much, everyone, for the detailed replies! I am excited to show my Boise Costco co-workers pics of the Juneau Costco. I will certainly browse the book section to look at photo books, too. Wonder if they carry my husband's favorite snack, dried mangoes?! I may have to grab him a bag if he's eaten all the ones we'll bring already! Thanks again!:)

Amanda

Archived