Table manners

First off, I want to say that it makes no difference to me whether you are late or not, because we're traveling with family and will be seated with them, so what you do has nothing to do with us.

We've toured the gallies and have been told that during a particular time slot the soups & salads are laid out for the waiters to take to their station.

During the next time slot the appetizers are laid out for the waiters to take. This continues throughout the dinner, with entrees on the galley racks next, and finally the desserts are offered on the racks.

We've been told that when the waiters take late orders they have to dodge the other courses and wait until the chefs can help help them.

(There might be different circumstances in the past 5 years, so in all fairness to everyone who is concerned, we were told this a few years ago).

We too believe it is rude not to let the table know you're not coming and I am super uptight about being on time for dinner. Just a nicety in a world that is not so nice these days.

If you're going to dine in an alternate venue, just let your server know, or make a quick call to the Maitre 'D on the day, for last minute plans. It's not a big thing, but it's a nice thing.

I truly enjoy the experience of dining with strangers on the ship. It's been one of the highlights of my life and made me some dear and precious friends. I do owe those people an obligation to treat them well and with honor.

Archived